Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 10:17 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
No kidding. If you're comparing it to New York, San Francisco, or LA, then yes Houston is cheap. But there are lots of places in the South that are much cheaper than the Houston area.

Where can you rent a one bedroom apartment in the Houston area (including suburbs) for $500? You can't, not even in the ghetto. Anything under $800/month and the complexes get kind of sketchy.

Yet, $500 will get you a nice one bedroom in Macon, Georgia for example River Park Apartment Homes Apartments - Macon, GA 31211 | Apartments for Rent
Do we really want to compare Houston to Macon, Georgia?

Can we at least compare Houston to major Southern cities like Miami, Atlanta, New Orleans, Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas.

Let's see where Houston ranks in the top 10 cities for COL. That would be a better comparison. Heck even use the top 20. But please don't compare it to Macon or any other small city or town. That's just embarrassing if that's the best we can do.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:27 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
The Columbuses and Macons of the world are not Houston, either.

For instance, as an urban environment, I'd choose Houston over San Jose or The Peninsula in the Bay Area. But Houston still clocks in at less than (much less than, in many instances) half of those places. It's even less than places like Sacramento, though not by as much.

Houston is cheap.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:48 PM

122 posts, read 159,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I can get a 700 square foot apartment in Uptown Chicago for $1500/month?

I'm shocked

But I'll take your word for it since you've probably lived there, know someone who lives there, or have researched what apartments are going for in Uptown Chicago.
You can't compare Uptown Chicago to Uptown Houston. If you want to do a fair comparison, I would say Oak Park would be it as it is about equidistant. And I do believe you could get 700 square feet a month for 1500 bucks, not to mention I would guess the average American would find Oak Park to be more desirable as it has public transportation to the city center, beautiful architecture and all the amenities Uptown, Houston has to offer. Also, it is zoned to much better schools.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:49 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,843 times
Since Houston is obviously getting more expensive, I keep thinking when that point will come when people will think that Houston has a nerve to try to get expensive, not even offering as good as scenery as alot of cheaper places. lol

Old 09-20-2014, 10:50 PM

122 posts, read 159,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Since Houston is obviously getting more expensive, I keep thinking when that point will come when people will think that Houston has a nerve to try to get expensive, not even offering as good as scenery as alot of cheaper places. lol
That's another issue. Houston and Chicago are getting pretty comparable, and Chicago just blows Houston away when it comes to overall beauty. They can't even mow the ****ing boulevards here in Houston.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:36 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredboredteacher View Post
You can't compare Uptown Chicago to Uptown Houston. If you want to do a fair comparison, I would say Oak Park would be it as it is about equidistant. And I do believe you could get 700 square feet a month for 1500 bucks, not to mention I would guess the average American would find Oak Park to be more desirable as it has public transportation to the city center, beautiful architecture and all the amenities Uptown, Houston has to offer. Also, it is zoned to much better schools.
The distance may be the same but Oak Park seems to be an entirely different kind of district than Uptown in Houston. I wouldn't exactly compare the two.

Is there a district in Chicago like Uptown Houston? An upscale shopping and business district with highrise and midrise living? If so that's the kind of district Uptown Houston should be compared to. Not Oak Park. From what I just read Oak Park is nothing like Uptown Houston.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:16 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Is there something like an Uptown Houston inside the city of Chicago? I would say no. There isn't. I wouldn't compare Uptown Houston with Oak Park either. Uptown is more like Oak Brook Terrace or maybe The area around woodfield mall in Schaumburg. Metro Chicago including the city is far closer to Houston in col then it is to say DC.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:37 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
My apologies for letting this ignorant bashing thread continue. Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston