Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,491 times

Advertisements

Howdy,
We are relocating to the Angelton area in about 6 weeks, maybe sooner. we live in a small town now, and would like to find another one close to the Angelton area as that is where my husband will be working. Any suggestions? Also, I cannot find any info on renting a home in the area. I sure do not want to buy anything until I know if it is the area that I really want to live in. Looking for something that isn't a far drive to the beach, as we love it there and my husband is an avid shark fisherman, I just collect sea shells
We have a 17 year old son, who is homeschooled, so finding an area with the perfect school isn't really a concern. I want safe, clean, and kind of a "Mayberry" like feel to the town. Im not a big Mall person, or a shopper per say, but we do enjoy the outdoors. Many things I have read on here have been negative as far as Clute, but am wondering what is wrong with it? im not looking to keep up with the "Joneses" haha, but also do not want to rent a place that looks like it has been abandoned since the 80's...
Any help would so be appreciated
Thanks so much, Bella
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 11:26 AM

551 posts, read 1,574,015 times
try Lake Jackson, Manvel, Alvin or Pearland

Old 04-04-2014, 12:18 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
try Lake Jackson, Manvel, Alvin or Pearland
NOT Pearland - it is not a small town atmosphere since it grew to almost 100,000 people.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:45 PM

693 posts, read 1,107,727 times
Pearland is trashy.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:36 PM

12 posts, read 15,972 times
Pearland was listed as one of Houston areas top 25 hottest neighborhoods in July 2013. There is random crime, all areas have that.

In the country someone took a trailer off of one of our properties, so crime occurs everywhere.

If you are afraid of "minorities" (people who are non-white) then Pearland is blacklisted as there are people of many shades that reside not only in, but also north, west, and east of the area.

If you are looking for more country the following cities south of Pearland will fit the bill:

Alvin: South of Pearland and although being encroached upon is still more of a small town attitude. Downtown is reminiscent of a typical small town with old buildings and not much else in the way of big city amenities (like big box stores, cinemas, and fine dining). I spend a lot of time in "downtown" Alvin and enjoy it. Mostly white with a mix of hispanics (whose population is growing).

Manvel: Like Alvin but smaller with no main street.

Lake Jackson: The biggest little city south of Pearland. Enthically diverse. Has all the amenities of Pearland in a smaller package.

Danbury: Small town, no main street, typical country.

Angelton: Small town, has a main drag, mixed white and hispanic, although predominantly white.

Santa Fe: Small town but growing. Mainly white, hispanic on one side of the tracks. Police department has a penchant for harrasing people who look like they don't belong if you get my drift.

Anything else between those are small town vibe.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:50 PM

3 posts, read 3,157 times
Lake Jackson sounds like the area for you and yours...but you should be warned about the mosquitoes if you're looking for regular outdoor activities. Perhaps they are less bad in Angleton (15 minutes north)? Angleton would give you access to Lake Jackson and P-land, though there is less to do in Angleton, itself.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:27 PM

200 posts, read 297,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
NOT Pearland - it is not a small town atmosphere since it grew to almost 100,000 people.
this x10. Pearland is not small town anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
Pearland is trashy.
it is? I know when I was growing up there Pearland was on the news for being the most clean city in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljruntime View Post
Lake Jackson sounds like the area for you and yours...but you should be warned about the mosquitoes if you're looking for regular outdoor activities. Perhaps they are less bad in Angleton (15 minutes north)? Angleton would give you access to Lake Jackson and P-land, though there is less to do in Angleton, itself.
this also. I was going to say if you want to be close to the beach I'd go with Lake Jackson myself or somewhere near there like Clute. (pretty much kisses Lake Jackson). way closer to the beach and not far from Angleton. Or just try Angleton itself. As for renting I am not sure on the choices there. Haven't performed an actual rental search that far south yet.

Galveston Association of REALTORS®

or

Houston home rentals and homes for rent - HAR.com

Old 10-01-2014, 02:34 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,287,717 times
Angelton,Alvin,Brazoria and Lake Jackson
look for rentals at Houston Real estate, Houston homes, Houston Realtors - HAR.com

If your interested in small town I wouldnt suggest Pearland. It is a suburb now.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:22 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,497,966 times
Angleton, folks. Come on.

That aside, I would look at by I-35 and 288. It's still pretty spacious out there last I checked. Should be what you are looking for, since HWY 6 on up north is basically dense suburb.

As for Clute, it it's like most smaller communities near the water, it's just full of trashy folks and drug peddlers. That's just something I noticed back in a past lifetime working offshore and having the home dock in Freeport with lots of my coworkers being on parole and living nearby. Eve here in La Porte, while I'm not easily creeped out, someone decided that the bed of my SuperCrew was a nice place to put their bookbag and blanket and I guess I could just take his stuff to his parole officer in Pasadena and let him deal with it. Or I could just evict his stuff since he hasn't paid storage...oh well. You get the jist.

As for Pearland, the traffic will suck for a long time out towards 288 and that's why I don't pay attention to any "hot" lists except the "most boring" list, where I know I can find peace and quiet.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 10-09-2014 at 06:56 AM..

Old 10-01-2014, 10:27 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,563,513 times
Definitely lake Jackson. It's the nicest city in the area. I don't know of any new apartment complexes in Angleton...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston