Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 11:32 PM

135 posts, read 178,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCosmos View Post
I'm having a difficult time picturing what Houston must be like, or what Corpus must be like. Might just have to take a trip to both of them in the future.
For a frame of reference, where in California are you coming from? What do you do at the beach? Swim a lot?

And welcome back - I look forward to your posts in "Houston vs. Dallas" soon. I hope you can put in more than 20 posts this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 11:43 PM

63 posts, read 163,601 times
Welcome back? This is my first day on this website lol. I'm moving from California because I can't afford it here anymore thanks to taxes, I am self employed and can move anywhere. I chose to look at Texas because its one of the few states that don't have income taxes, and I didn't want to move to Washington or Florida. I zoned in on Houston and Corpus Christi because they were closest to the beach and they seemed the most interesting. I am leaning towards Houston though, because there are better houses. The thing that kind of freaks me out about Texas is the property tax though. I also might look at North Carolina. I'm just getting people's opinions right now and weighing my options.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:37 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,568,556 times
The Galveston seawall beaches are pretty nasty because you've got a gritty town and busy street right next to it. But if you get away from that mess, Corpus beaches honestly aren't a whole lot better than Galveston's. They are cleaner (less trash, less traffic), the sand is brighter and less muddy, the water is generally less murky but there are times where it is just as murky brown as Galveston's. Both areas have had the same smelly seaweed issues lately and it has been worse around Corpus. And to be blunt, Corpus lacks the Houston-ghetto contingent that Galveston gets flooded with every summer weekend/holiday, which does nothing good for Galveston's reputation.

If you want a 'good' beach, go to the AL/FL line or Mexico.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:17 AM

331 posts, read 483,062 times
Checking back in on this discussion.... there are many reasons to move to Houston; however, proximity to the ocean is probably not a very good one to be completely honest. Galveston does not compare very well to Port A and south in Texas, and certainly not well to the likes of California and Florida. I have surfed all over the continent and have been to lots of beaches and would say, from a non-surfing perspective, Florida panhandle > California > South Padre > Port A / N Padre > Galveston/Surfside. That is just my humble opinion, but different strokes. Come to Houston, but don't come for the beach. Having grown up on the coast, I'm a beach person and only go to Galveston once or twice a year. I'm not a Galveston basher like a lot of people are, but you just cannot compare it some of the other places being discussed imo.

I also wouldn't move here to avoid taxes. Despite what some might say, yes, there is a lot of good housing here, but you need to look into the MUD taxes particularly in the suburban areas if that's where you're looking. It looks cheap on the surface, but make sure property taxes don't outweigh the other types of taxes you'd be paying in California. It wouldn't surprise me, although you will pay less overall for a house here.

Corpus (or Rockport or Port A) is not a bad option if you want a lower cost of living and more laid back lifestyle. Just don't expect the same level of activity and things to do as a major metro area.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:12 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,083,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftbend06 View Post
Checking back in on this discussion.... there are many reasons to move to Houston; however, proximity to the ocean is probably not a very good one to be completely honest. Galveston does not compare very well to Port A and south in Texas, and certainly not well to the likes of California and Florida. I have surfed all over the continent and have been to lots of beaches and would say, from a non-surfing perspective, Florida panhandle > California > South Padre > Port A / N Padre > Galveston/Surfside. That is just my humble opinion, but different strokes. Come to Houston, but don't come for the beach. Having grown up on the coast, I'm a beach person and only go to Galveston once or twice a year. I'm not a Galveston basher like a lot of people are, but you just cannot compare it some of the other places being discussed imo.

I also wouldn't move here to avoid taxes. Despite what some might say, yes, there is a lot of good housing here, but you need to look into the MUD taxes particularly in the suburban areas if that's where you're looking. It looks cheap on the surface, but make sure property taxes don't outweigh the other types of taxes you'd be paying in California. It wouldn't surprise me, although you will pay less overall for a house here.

Corpus (or Rockport or Port A) is not a bad option if you want a lower cost of living and more laid back lifestyle. Just don't expect the same level of activity and things to do as a major metro area.
Pretty legit post. I think this sums it up very well.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:24 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,217,690 times
Quote:
Which is a better area to live in (buying a house in either of these two places). I Really love the beach and I'm a native Californian. Everyone I ask who lives in Texas says the beaches are literally ugly. This is bumming me out.
I was set on Houston, but after hearing that about the beaches I decided to look at Corpus Christi. What is it like there? Would you rather live in Houston or Corpus if the beach was a little bit important to you?
I also noticed that there is way more amenities in Houston like restaurants, coffee shops, and they even have a Trader Joes and a Whole Foods in Houston! That alone might make me suck up the "ugly" beaches and just go there.
I have allergies and slight asthma too, so is the humidity a big deal...like to the point where I might have a difficult time breathing? I looked up the temperatures between the two and was surprised to find out Corpus Christi had more humidity even though its closer to the coast.

So to make a long story short - Which would you choose to reside in? Houston or Corpus Christi? And why? Employment? Things to do? Weather? Prices? Safety? Scenery? Thanks!

You are going to be disappointed if you come to TX for beach life coming from CA. Corpus and Houston are vastly different cities. Humidity will be awful in both in late summer, however. Lots of people have allergies and asthma here. It certainly doesn't help, but the weather doesn't really stop or hinder the people I know.

The beach area for Houston is primarily Galveston. The more interesting part of Galveston island is run down. People certainly do move there for the beach lifestyle, but a large swath of the island is going to provide you with a form of excitement you may not have bargained for. Despite that, it does have it's charm. It is possible to live in a loft along a street filled with bars, shops, and restaurants on Galveston. Also an FYI - don't tell Galveston natives their beaches are 'ugly,' even if it is true.

If you are willing to trade off aesthetics for restaurants and coffee shops and a plethora of other amenities, then you might just like Houston. Of course Corpus has a lot fewer amenities, but it is a fine city as well.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:26 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,439,628 times
Quote:
Which is a better area to live in (buying a house in either of these two places). I Really love the beach and I'm a native Californian. Everyone I ask who lives in Texas says the beaches are literally ugly. This is bumming me out.
I was set on Houston, but after hearing that about the beaches I decided to look at Corpus Christi. What is it like there? Would you rather live in Houston or Corpus if the beach was a little bit important to you?
I also noticed that there is way more amenities in Houston like restaurants, coffee shops, and they even have a Trader Joes and a Whole Foods in Houston! That alone might make me suck up the "ugly" beaches and just go there.
I have allergies and slight asthma too, so is the humidity a big deal...like to the point where I might have a difficult time breathing? I looked up the temperatures between the two and was surprised to find out Corpus Christi had more humidity even though its closer to the coast.

So to make a long story short - Which would you choose to reside in? Houston or Corpus Christi? And why? Employment? Things to do? Weather? Prices? Safety? Scenery? Thanks!
As someone else asked, what beach activities do you actually do at the beach?

If you're big draw is walking or bicycling in the ocean breeze with the sound of waves, you might really enjoy Galveston.

If you love laying on the sand and swimming, you probably need to head to Corpus and still be prepared for a bit of disappointment.

Here are the things I believe are enjoyable in Galveston:
Walking/Biking the seawall.
Shopping and eating
Moody Gardens
Sailing
Offshore fishing
Kiteboarding
Kayaking (off beach, estuaries and bay)
Jetskiing

Essentially, the sand is practically mud and the water, although it can have some good days, is usually light brown to a dark chocolate milk in the "surf" zone.

And speaking of surf, Galveston does actually have surfable surf every now and then.
People who don't know any better say there is no surf in Texas. They are ignorant. Is it common? No. Does it happen? Yes.

This is Galveston:

http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/North_...7abf118cee.jpg

This is down by Corpus:

http://a4.espncdn.com/photo/2010/111...as_pit_576.jpg

Last edited by elnina; 09-25-2014 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: copyrighted pix

Old 09-24-2014, 05:25 PM

381 posts, read 1,087,438 times
The only health food store I know of in Corpus is an old Sprouts. There is no WF or Trader Joes. I would be shocked if a WF or Trader Joe's was ever built in CC. CC's demographics just don't support these kind of stores.

I really think you have to travel down here and visit both cities to get a feel for them.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:33 PM

331 posts, read 483,062 times
Wow. Trader Joes and Whole Foods are all good, but I couldn't imagine it being a deal breaker to not have one in the vicinity. I guess the op mentioned it. After all, Corpus is the home of HEB lol.

Nice pics above of the surf in Galveston and North Padre. I would say the pic of Galveston is once in a year type conditions and the pic of Corpus is once in a month type conditions, but yes, it does get good from time to time, particularly in Corpus. It will consume you, though, because you have to time it just right. If you have to work when a cool front comes though with offshore winds, tough luck. The main difference to me between Texas and true surf destinations is not the size but the power. You take what you can get, though.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:17 AM

234 posts, read 288,774 times
I am a Houston native and still live here, and have spent a lot of time in Galveston. Started going to Port Aransas for the fishing in the 1990's, and bought a place there in 2007.

Port Aransas is a "beach town". Galveston is a:

- Industrial city
- Cruise port
- Crack house
- Historical district
- Suburb of Houston

It begins to feel more like a beach town as you head west from 61st street towards San Luis Pass.

Water is typically clearer and waves bigger the further south you go. Much clearer as you get down to Port Isabel/South Padre, but that is too close to Mexico for me.

Beach access for cars is much better in Port A. As we have a house on the beach, this is a negative for me. Cars means people, and people mean trash. Lot's of golf carts in Port A in town and on the beach.

Fishing is a much bigger deal in Port A. That is my thing, so that is great for me.

Port A is loaded with Winter Texans. Locals tolerate them, but don't love them. The saying goes "they come to town with one pair of underwear and a $20 bill, and don't change either of them the whole time they are down!". Since I don't own a business there, and my neighborhood doesn't allow rentals, I have never had a problem with them.

If beach was a big thing for me, and work/job prospects weren't an issue, then I would look at Port Aransas over Galveston for sure. No brainer. If you need something in "the big city", Corpus is close. Corpus isn't Houston by a long shot, but it has an airport, hospitals, shopping malls, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston