Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 08:10 PM

20 posts, read 26,280 times

Advertisements

It's amazing that the Houston area seems to have so few Mexican restaurants.

Not Tex-Mex. I like Tex-Mex fine...but....

I mean restaurants that serve the many wonderful regional cuisines of Mexico - like Yucatecan, Pueblan, Oaxacan, Mexico City-style, Jaliscan, etc.... Not just a dish or two, but the entire menu devoted to a regional Mexican cuisine (like some Chinese restaurants specialize in Szechuan, Hunan, Fukien, etc..)

I'd drive a long way in or out of the loop for that kind of restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 08:25 PM

860 posts, read 1,585,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jereviens View Post

I mean restaurants that serve the many wonderful regional cuisines of Mexico - like Yucatecan, Pueblan, Oaxacan, Mexico City-style, Jaliscan, etc.... Not just a dish or two, but the entire menu devoted to a regional Mexican cuisine (like some Chinese restaurants specialize in Szechuan, Hunan, Fukien, etc..)

Hugo's on Montrose doesn't come close?

Old 09-25-2014, 08:42 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:

When B4-U-EAT was active, it showed the Houston area was actually bombarded with literally thousands of Mexican restaurants. It is the most popular cuisine by far here. The problem is it's like asking for specific "white people" cuisine. Everything has been so mixed up here for so long (unlike NY) you'll never find what you're specifically looking for.

Basically... if you want good Mexican food you need to go east of I-45.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:50 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times
You are so right :-) By the way Charivari is half Romanian and half German. The wife is deutsch. But the chef will cook anything you want if you ask him in advance. He was trained in France and Germany. I do all my team building activities and customer visits as his restaurant and we always have a custom menu. I get great reviews from my people about him..

[Mod cut: off topic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
There are only two German restaurants, and neither is great. Not a real Eastern European cuisine. OK - Charivari (Romanian), and Cafe Pita (Bosnia) - but for a city our size, we should have more.
No Hungarian (goulash - yum!!), Bulgarian (Tarator - so good for Summer!) or Croatian (Cevapcici - drooling!), either

Last edited by elnina; 09-27-2014 at 01:33 AM..

Old 09-25-2014, 11:19 PM

189 posts, read 224,460 times
I say German restaurant. King's biergarten is the only German place I know in the area and that's in Pearland. I would like a place like Jim's in Chicago that serves your basic junk food: burgers, hot dogs, polish, etc. That would be awesome.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:35 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,391 times
Quote:

Hugo's
Otilla's
Chuchara
Pico's

Old 09-26-2014, 05:18 AM

14 posts, read 15,870 times
1. Sri Lankan: this cuisine is so unique and there is nothing remotely similar.
They have Shigiri in the big apple which as of now is my most favorite restaurant.

2. Good Authentic Malaysian (read Nionya): there is one in china town, but nowhere near the quality of whats there in NYC Chinatown.

3. Authentic Jewish deli: something like Russ&Daighters or 4th Street Deli in Philly and their selection if smoked fish (nova, lox).

Old 09-26-2014, 05:48 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,670 times
That would be awesome. BBs in Stafford has closed but it would have been pretty much the closest thing. Hot Dogs Italian Beef and even pizza puffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTxn View Post
I say German restaurant. King's biergarten is the only German place I know in the area and that's in Pearland. I would like a place like Jim's in Chicago that serves your basic junk food: burgers, hot dogs, polish, etc. That would be awesome.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:01 AM

189 posts, read 224,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
That would be awesome. BBs in Stafford has closed but it would have been pretty much the closest thing. Hot Dogs Italian Beef and even pizza puffs.
BB's had two locations and yes, the Stafford location closed but the other location was on highway 6 close to Alief.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:47 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,172,880 times
A couple of good Tibetan/Nepali places would be nice. They are kind of a Chinese/Indian cuisine and tend to be "heartier" than both. Nothing better than a bowl of steaming thupka to close out a night of heavy drinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston