Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 16,875 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Houston from Miami and I would love honest opinions, information on Houston Community College - Central Campus. And where are the best places to find an apartment near the school. I'm from Miami so I can handle noise, traffic, but somewhere away from gangs/street violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 12:51 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,326,464 times
Central is a dump. My husband taught there part-time, at night, spring semester 2007. It is in a rather icky little area. I'd go with any of the Southwest campuses (Galleria is a good one) or Town & Country (which I think technically is a Northwest campus). He is at T&C now four nights a week and it is much better and safer!

Old 12-28-2007, 02:51 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,886,798 times
Where is HCC central campus? The one downtown has a nice culinary arts program and interestingly enough - the students prepare a gourment dinner (I think on Friday nights) and anyone can go for $10 a person. Not positive it is Friday, would have to call and ask.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:52 PM

If central is the one located downtown (midtown) then you could find a place to live in Midtown or Montrose (great areas for young and single).

Old 12-28-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeneko View Post
I'm from Miami so I can handle noise, traffic, but somewhere away from gangs/street violence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Where is HCC central campus? The one downtown has a nice culinary arts program and interestingly enough - the students prepare a gourment dinner (I think on Friday nights) and anyone can go for $10 a person. Not positive it is Friday, would have to call and ask.

The big concern here seems to be safety, not class options. Again, I would NOT take Central campus classes, especially at night, when it is not uncommon for strangers to approach and ask for money, rides, etc...but that is just my opinion.

Central campus is at Holman and San Jacinto.

You can ask HCCS police for a report of all crimes posted on campuses this past year. I guarantee you will see more theft and assault at Central than any other campus.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:18 AM

3 posts, read 16,875 times
I just wanna thank you for your input.

Central has a Design program I'm very interested in. We don't have anything like that here in Miami. But I did want to know when would be the best time to take classes, and it looks like the daytime might be safer. Can you tell me more about Montrose and Midtown living? I'd be living alone and I'd be using my own car.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:22 PM

Midtown is the up and coming area for a lot of young singles. Montrose has a high number of younger residents as well but probably more singles in midtown. You'd be close to all the nightlife and some great restaurants and about 15 minutes away from the Galleria area and Rice Village for shopping. Both of those areas would be close to the central campus as well. If you lived in Midtown and took daytime classes - you could probably just take light rail to class rather than having to take your car out - unless you just wanted to. Montrose at one time was considered "gay" Houston. Now it is home to just about anyone - an eclectic mix of homes, people & shops.

Try these links:

http://www.houstonmidtown.com

http://www.living-in-houston.com/

http://www.houstondowntown.com/home/default.asp

http://www.houston.com/houston-neigh...ghborhood.html

Old 03-25-2008, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,067 times
Default HCC is not a dump

I don't know who that person is who posted that HCC is a dump but theythey are obviously biased towards the suburbs so that should tell you all you need to know. Central campus is very accessible by bus, rail or my favorite mode of transportation, my bicycle. The area around the campus is gentrified, meaning you cannot pick up a townhouse for less than 300,000. Again, that person who posted that must never have been down here. There are no affordable places to live around the campus. The closest neighborhood where you will find an affordable apartment is Montrose. Affordable places are disappearing fast there too though. The facilities are early eighties, the exception being the main building, which is a historic high school, built in 1929 I think. By next Fall, the new building will be open, which is a four-story glass walled building. It will house the library, student center and computer center. The architecture is very forward thinking. They tore down one of the ugly buildings built in the 70's to make space for it and the other one is coming down after the new building is finished. I'm moving on to U of H in the Fall. My opinion of HCC is that it is no worse than any two year college in the country and in fact there are some excellent teachers here. The administration will frustrate you. The long lines in financial aid and the half baked answers will drive you crazy. I highly recommended B.K. Smith in Speech Communications. Always check your professors in ratemyprofessor.com, no matter where you are going.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyinhouston View Post
I don't know who that person is who posted that HCC is a dump but theythey are obviously biased towards the suburbs so that should tell you all you need to know. Central campus is very accessible by bus, rail or my favorite mode of transportation, my bicycle. The area around the campus is gentrified, meaning you cannot pick up a townhouse for less than 300,000. Again, that person who posted that must never have been down here.

Uh, my husband taught there. That's where my information comes from. I lived in the loop for several years and now live by Memorial City. No suburbs here. Please, before you post with assumptions, do a little research. Thanks!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:13 PM

I said they could live in midtown but I was assuming they would rent not buy. There are still affordable places to rent. I've seen postings for great little places in Montrose just off of W. Gray at very reasonable prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: