Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 05:37 PM

287 posts, read 545,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
They did - the Westpark Tollway was built to serve as a reliever to both I-10 and 290. At this point the only hope is alternative modes imo, e.g. BRT or commuter rail.
Do many people use the Westpark Tollway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 08:56 PM

725 posts, read 1,233,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyz06 View Post
Do many people use the Westpark Tollway?
It's pretty well used, but it's narrow and inadequate for the traffic needs of the area. Having it is certainly better than not having it from a traffic standpoint though. Before it was built 59 was horrible all the way from Sugar Land to Downtown. (With that said, 59 was also still undergoing widening in Ft. Bend County at that time, as I remember, so that also exacerbated the issue.)

59 is way better than it was in the late 90s, while 290 has just gotten worse. 10 is pretty bad now, but it was an absolute parking lot prior to the expansion. I hated going out west back then.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:42 AM

Quote:
It's pretty well used, but it's narrow and inadequate for the traffic needs of the area. Having it is certainly better than not having it from a traffic standpoint though. Before it was built 59 was horrible all the way from Sugar Land to Downtown. (With that said, 59 was also still undergoing widening in Ft. Bend County at that time, as I remember, so that also exacerbated the issue.)

59 is way better than it was in the late 90s, while 290 has just gotten worse. 10 is pretty bad now, but it was an absolute parking lot prior to the expansion. I hated going out west back then.
I've heard so much about how bad 290 can get. Hopefully the expansion can take care of that issue. When is that project slated to be completed?

Old 10-01-2014, 06:08 AM
fnh

2,887 posts, read 3,882,204 times
KUHF reported yesterday that construction is nearly complete on the 290 to I-10 direct ramp. That will make a bigger difference than any expansion, I suspect. 610 is more congested than 290 (as is 59, 45, 10... According to TXDOT.). We travel 290 everyday between the beltway and downtown and it isn't particularly bad. I too have "heard" so much about 290 from people who don't drive it, lol.

For updates on the 290 project: Home

Old 10-01-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
KUHF reported yesterday that construction is nearly complete on the 290 to I-10 direct ramp. That will make a bigger difference than any expansion, I suspect. 610 is more congested than 290 (as is 59, 45, 10... According to TXDOT.). We travel 290 everyday between the beltway and downtown and it isn't particularly bad. I too have "heard" so much about 290 from people who don't drive it, lol.

For updates on the 290 project: Home
Thanks for the link. Historically in Houston (especially on the west side) traffic sometimes doesn't get much worse in construction zones because many commuters will avoid those areas all together and use alternates. Part of the reason 290 probably isn't as bad as it could be is because many people are using 10 or other alternates. This was the case during the 10 expansion (290 and 59 got worse) and during the 59 expansion (10 was already horrible and got much worse then as well).

I heavily suspect that once the 290 expansion is done, not only will it help traffic flow on 290, but it will also result to reductions in AADT on 10 as well (compared to what the traffic would be without the expansion). I also agree that the direct ramp will have a positive effect on 610 traffic flow.

That part of town will see even more benefit if the Hempstead Highway plan gets off the ground.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:07 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,803,724 times
Quote:
That part of town will see even more benefit if the Hempstead Highway plan gets off the ground.
Houston turned that project over to TXDOT entirely, and unfortunately it's in line with a bunch of other pet projects Austin has lined up. We're slated to begin construction in the early to mid 2020's, but the good news is there's a lot of talk of having some sort of rail along it whenever it does get built though. I'm not sure whether it would be commuter or long distance travel to other cities, but what I do know is that I'll be old and grump by the time this thing is done.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
Houston turned that project over to TXDOT entirely, and unfortunately it's in line with a bunch of other pet projects Austin has lined up. We're slated to begin construction in the early to mid 2020's, but the good news is there's a lot of talk of having some sort of rail along it whenever it does get built though. I'm not sure whether it would be commuter or long distance travel to other cities, but what I do know is that I'll be old and grump by the time this thing is done.
That's unfortunate that it's so far down the funding pecking order.

Speaking of commuter rail, has anyone heard any updates on the GCRD's studies to run commuter rail northwest and west of the city to a future upgraded Northwest TC?

Old 10-03-2014, 07:07 PM

Just wondering what are the traffic counts for Beltway 8?

Old 10-06-2014, 08:51 AM

182 posts, read 348,592 times
Damn. That 1-10 traffic increase in mind blowing.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:36 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,779,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDA View Post
Damn. That 1-10 traffic increase in mind blowing.
It proves that increasing traffic lanes just increases traffic and rearranges priorities so people use a particular road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston