Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donblackie View Post
Ever wonder why homes in rummel, Wilchester, etc are more expensive than NF8? Location is one factor....school is another.

So what's the debate here? You stated earlier that school is the number one priority. If that's the case, buy the smaller home in better zoned schools.

If that's not the case, and you are just saying that to make yourself feel better about possibly cheating your kids out of a better education to buy a bigger home....then just be honest about it. It doesn't really matter to strangers.

Are the schools zoned to NF8 good enough? Sure I guess....depends on who is asking. Are they as good as or better than Rummel or Winchester....No.
I think you have me confused with the original poster, bgrif. I am a completely new poster seeking similar advice and feedback from others that are more familiar with/knowledgeable about the area. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 02:29 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,102,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donblackie View Post
Ever wonder why homes in rummel, Wilchester, etc are more expensive than NF8? Location is one factor....school is another.

So what's the debate here? You stated earlier that school is the number one priority. If that's the case, buy the smaller home in better zoned schools.

If that's not the case, and you are just saying that to make yourself feel better about possibly cheating your kids out of a better education to buy a bigger home....then just be honest about it. It doesn't really matter to strangers.

Are the schools zoned to NF8 good enough? Sure I guess....depends on who is asking. Are they as good as or better than Rummel or Winchester....No.
Other than the above, which is clearly unhelpful, after re-reading this thread from the beginning I think it has about as much information as you can realistically get from this forum. And the sources are reliable for this area, at least as far as this forum goes, so I think you have some homework ahead of you if you're still unsure. Each area will have its cheerleaders (clearly I'm a Nottingham Forest one) but you need to be comfortable with your choice.

I feel for you, we went through the exact same exercise.

Good luck!

Old 11-20-2014, 03:22 PM

5,581 posts, read 4,838,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniguy1966 View Post
Interested in this thread as we are trying to decide how much premium to place on Wilchester/Rummel Creek/MMS over Meadow Wood Elementary/Spring Forest Middle while looking for a home in that area. We have narrowed the decision down to homes zoned to these schools, and all advice is appreciated.

Our first child just turned one, and we hope to have a second within the next year or two, so we are considering taking the bet that MWE and SFMS demographics will improve substantially by the time they enter those schools in order to save at least $100K in house price.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance!
I wonder whether the perceived demographic differences between the two sets of schools will actually make a difference as to whether your child will receive an appropriate education, let alone whether they will be successful in life. (And note that you specifically tied the issue to the demographics, not some other aspect of the schools.) Shouldn't you base your decision first and foremost on whether you like a house and can afford it?

Old 11-20-2014, 06:48 PM

150 posts, read 216,137 times
Personally I do not see a huge difference in the elementary schools. You can always do Westchester or Cornerstone for middle if the low income set at SF bothers you. I do see a difference in the society pecking order. So people at the area country club, church etc may treat you differently based on whether you live in the Villages, MMS zone, or west of kirkwood. There are a lot of great people in both areas but more who did not grow up in Memorial are west of kirkwood.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:50 AM

213 posts, read 301,086 times
If you are worried about the schools in the area, there's actually an opportunity for one of the public schools in the area to implement a French dual-language program. Then, my family would actually move to that area. It would most likely be a magnet and it's a few years out, but being close by sure is a good thing. What ever school gets it will improve and the elementary school choices in the area will be so much better.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:22 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,102,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geolvl View Post
If you are worried about the schools in the area, there's actually an opportunity for one of the public schools in the area to implement a French dual-language program. Then, my family would actually move to that area. It would most likely be a magnet and it's a few years out, but being close by sure is a good thing. What ever school gets it will improve and the elementary school choices in the area will be so much better.
Nottingham Forest is SBISD and this area of Springbranch has great schools but yes, south of the bayou in HISD they can use a little help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston