Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 05:00 PM

913 posts, read 4,342,974 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if anyone has done the vertical planting in their backyards or around the houses?
I mean something like this? Can you share pictures of what you have done?

I know how it's done. It's easy. Living social is selling a coupon for prefab version now.

There are a lot of unique advantages, especially for Houston. Namely:
- It saves ton of space. Plant anything (even veggies) and it will take only a space along your fence or a house wall.
- It can be a natural solar screen/barrier for your wall facing the sun. This is why I want to do it. I want to cover my West house wall with some plants (initially I was thinking of creeping ivy, roses, etc.) and this will reduce the energy bill!
- It's easy to clean up and take care of, if the structure is not too tall for you and does not require a ladder.

If you have one of those, here is a few questions for you:
- Do you have it on a full sun or a partial sun side?
- How much insects, lizards and snakes does it attract? Is it safe for children to be around?
- Hurricane preparedness. What did you do to make sure the structure does not fly around in the hurricane wind?
- How much space off the wall did you leave? Any 4x4 beams with concrete in the ground?

Now, since I have raised the "vertical" subject, there is another vertical planting approach, which i am a big fan of. It is called espalier. It allows to shape a tree/shrub so that it would grow flat and not take a lot of space.

The espalier is a great way to have any tree or shrub flat along the fence/wall and still give fruits or bloom anyway you want. Just an FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 05:26 PM

240 posts, read 807,788 times
I have seen pictures of this in gardening magazines and have also become interested. I priced the forms at one time but they seemed quite expensive at the time. I would also be interested in hearing what others have to say. Agree that it would do well in Houston.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:48 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Those look great....if you can make or buy like these, wonderful.
I did this last yr but on a smaller scale and cheaper!
Not in Houston but no reason these could not work well for you.

Because I was going to use these in a fenced area in my backyard, did not particularly care about looks, only function. Bought several hanging shoe bags (with the pockets) ...sorry no photos....the type that hang on doors, but hung mine on fence.

You can buy the shoe pockets cheaply...the plastic ones I cut a small hole in the bottom of each pocket for drainage....they need water frequently, as there is only room for a small amt of soil....BEST for herbs/vegs with SHALLOW root systems.

Grew spinach, leaf lettuce only, did very well!

This yr will try others....likely strawwberries
Have fun...

Old 02-19-2013, 06:17 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
Hmmm that raises an interesting question of how you effectively water these? I bet they would dry out quickly.

Maybe an Archimedes screw, a la Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Though standing there with a hose and sprayer would be easier than constructing an Archimedes screw.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:13 PM

Thanks for a feedback!
IMO, making a large Vertical garden should be a 3 out of 5 in my complexity level. I would use 2 4x4 posts and put them in a concrete ground. I would then use 2x6, 2x8 and so on to create pockets at 45 degree angle. Large enough to have plenty of soil... I brought up a good point about drainage. This need to be addressed too.

Overall this is doable by one handy man in like 6 hours. With a days break to allow concrete foundation to set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

You can buy the shoe pockets cheaply...the plastic ones I cut a small hole in the bottom of each pocket for drainage....they need water frequently, as there is only room for a small amt of soil....BEST for herbs/vegs with SHALLOW root systems.

Grew spinach, leaf lettuce only, did very well!

This yr will try others....likely strawwberries
Have fun...

Old 02-19-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Hmmm that raises an interesting question of how you effectively water these? I bet they would dry out quickly.

Maybe an Archimedes screw, a la Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Though standing there with a hose and sprayer would be easier than constructing an Archimedes screw.
Great point. I did not think of this.

- My budget solution would be to have a bucket of a rainwater (rain barrel) on top.
- another option is to hook it up to an existing irrigation
- a fancy way is to have a solar panel slowly pumping the water from a nearby large rain barrel. Or make it a hydrophonic watering.

Succulents can be used too. This reduces a need for a lot of water! Cactus has lived very well on top of my rain barrels in shallow ground for 2 years now!

Old 02-20-2013, 08:37 AM

58 posts, read 130,468 times
You could see if you could get some drip IV bags. Or they sell little bulb looking things that look similar to behtypa's post but they go the other way into potted plants. You would just have to buy a lot if all the containers are separate. I want to try the hanging shoe holder thing.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post

Archimedes screw or a PVC piping at an angle is a good idea.

Since there are many ways to do the vertical garden, I would start from the "goal" of this project.

1. If the goal is to protect a wall from sun heating / increase an energy efficiency, I would use some creeping plants like ivy or creeping roses, etc.

I would have them climb up a chicken wire or a flexible metal mesh used for reinforced concrete. This is flexible enough to roll it down in a tube (together with the creeping plant!) and secure on a ground in case of a hurricane. And it is light enough not to damage the fence or a wall. IMO. This is my idea of a solar screen the natural way.

Last edited by behtypa; 02-20-2013 at 02:16 PM..

Old 02-20-2013, 02:11 PM

2. If the goal is to save a space and make a fence / wall looking good, any creeping plants would work. The chicken-wire version would still be the cheapest.

3. If the purpose is to plant some veggies in a minimum of space, then those vertical planting pockets would work great for smaller plants (tomatoes, etc.) and herbs.

And an espalier would work great for trees like oranges, apples and so on.

IMO, any of these options are a low maintenance, except for watering, which needs to be designed individually.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:10 PM

I will leave a few pictures here I just came across. Some have great ideas.

Note "Architectural grill planter wall". It is another form of vertical planting. it can be done practically anywhere. Also note that this was probably made of a weed barrier fabric, widely used in landscaping and cheap too.

source:
Bustler: Gowanus Lowline: Connections - Entry “Domestic Laundry”

I love this picture because it shows that LED lights could be a great addition to your vertical planting. It will look awesome!

Finally, one more technology widely used today in commercial applications, that is inexpensive and can be used by us, homeowners. It's geocells (geopavement and other names). It's great for securing a slope or a drainage that washes away soil. I have one sloped area where I need one of these things.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston