Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 03:36 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times

Advertisements

From my understanding, in Texas, they can only turn it over to a collections company. I've also heard that the credit bureaus may not count such uncollected debts against you since it's technically the "car's debt".

Now, before ignoring it or trashing it, I would check this out.

Edit:

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/l...analysi/nRksp/

Quote:
The result is that unlike most traffic tickets, which can lead to the arrest of a non-paying offender, violators face little consequence — aside from repeated letters and phone calls from a private collection business hired by the city. Under state law, major credit agencies are never alerted to violators' lack of payment, so a delinquent's credit score does not suffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 05:08 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,972,956 times
To answer a few of the questions

This camera ticket was at 249 and Waller Tomball road.

The reason I asked, because of my curiosity.
An ex police officer friend, told me, I didn't have to pay for it. They can't do anything to me. I don't even live there. I been in houston 14 years. And been to Tomball three times in 10 years. Just this past month I been going to Tomball every week due to a business transaction.

The payment address is to a location in Plano Tx. Why couldn't Tomball handle money sent to them?

Check out this website.. Pretty interesting
Home Page. Trashyourticket.com

After some research, it appears the fine goes toward some independent company that set up and monitor these camera. The city only get a fraction of the fine collected.
That's a scam, and who the hell in office pass this law.

Whatever the case, I will pay the fine. I don't want any future issues.
It's always the case of pay now or pay more later.

Thank you for all your input.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:35 PM

568 posts, read 901,386 times
I never paid red light camera tickets and so far no consequences.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:49 PM

5 posts, read 200,900 times
I disagree with most here. ATS is probably the vendor for the "ticket". They want you to think that you have to pay, but in reality you don't. Red light camera operators jack with yellow light timings to snag more people. Cities roll over and accept it because they get a cut of the revenue.

In reality, if it's ATS, you probably don't need to pay it. It can't go on your credit report. The entire concept is a scam.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:49 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,990,784 times
Humble still has them. Watch out for the one at 1960 and Townsend and 1960 and 59. I passed up Deerbrook Mall, went down, came back and apparently ran the light at 59 and 1960

You pay and it doesn't go on your record anyway.

I think any "city" in Harris County should be made to turn them off if Houston the seat of the county turned theirs off.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:08 PM

109 posts, read 158,237 times
I would contest it. They have the burden of proving you were the operator of the vehicle. Do they in fact have proof of that?

Old 10-08-2014, 08:47 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,990,784 times
Why thank ya anonymous super "smart" CD'er. If you want to sling insults at least use your oh so great cognitive abilities and man/woman up. Giving me a rep is quite humors to give an insult. I applaud your intelligence truly

Old 10-08-2014, 11:35 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,231,565 times
I usually stay out of red-light camera threads, most people have strong opinions that aren't swayed by posts. But a couple of side comments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I think any "city" in Harris County should be made to turn them off if Houston the seat of the county turned theirs off.
Disagree. Each city sets its own rules & regulations. Each city has its own needs and challenges. If all cities in Harris County had to follow the COH, well... we wouldn't need all these cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcherian View Post
I would contest it. They have the burden of proving you were the operator of the vehicle. Do they in fact have proof of that?
It's actually the opposite. With most "car violations" such as red-light cameras or parking violations, the issuing body can & will assume the owner was the driver. It's up to the owner to attest that someone else was driving. That attest must say who the driver was. It's perjury to lie about this.

Look it up if you don't believe me.

Plus, they always send a picture with the violation. That usually shows who's driving.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:22 AM

200 posts, read 297,150 times
eh, when I got mine, picture & video link included, there was no way you could tell who was driving in either. and mine being a Houston one, the payment went to Arizona go figure. not even Texas.

had I known Houston would do what I wished and get rid of them I might not have paid mine.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:41 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times
OMG this topic is back?

Anyone remember baytownb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston