Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 02:36 PM

4 posts, read 5,568 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a house and i am looking at both these areas. what do you guys think would be best from both living and investment perspective.

I have heard that eado is up and coming and will be the new hights in the next 10 years. But not sure if it is quite safe there

what do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 02:50 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,266,413 times
Default Buy what you can afford...

I would not worry about what it may become down the road. Yes, the EADO area is gentrifying, but it could take many more years than the wishful thinkers would like. But then again, Midtown and EADO are different places, have their own qualities and conveniences. EADO is cheaper right now, and not as "alive" as Midtown, but that too will change over time. Midtown on the other hand, costs a lot more, so again, I'd say buy what you can afford. Either are safe bets for appreciation.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:05 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,915,922 times
I wouldn't use primary residence as an investment. Live where you can afford and is convenient for work.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:26 PM

370 posts, read 612,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanxter View Post
I am looking to buy a house and i am looking at both these areas. what do you guys think would be best from both living and investment perspective.

I have heard that eado is up and coming and will be the new hights in the next 10 years. But not sure if it is quite safe there

what do you guys think?
live where you're most comfortable, financially too. what area do you see yourself driving to the most/what area do you hang out at the most? is a good grocery store close by important to you? many things come into play, being comfortable is the key. don't worry about appreciation as much

Old 10-09-2014, 12:19 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,562,818 times
keep in mind a lot of the homeless shelters and other things of that nature are in EaDo.

i would chose midtown personally..

Old 10-09-2014, 08:22 AM

After thinking it over, i believe Midtown is better for me. Eado right now is too run down for me. Midtown is a safer bet i guess.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:29 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,346 times
Also Eado will never never be anything like the Heights. It is nowhere near the same.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:49 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,075 times
Eado has a better housing stock and more of a neighborhood feel. Midtown is hipper. I don't think of one as being appreciably safer than the other. Good luck.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:06 AM

370 posts, read 612,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanxter View Post
After thinking it over, i believe Midtown is better for me. Eado right now is too run down for me. Midtown is a safer bet i guess.
my friends who have rented lofts out there usually move out after their lease is up - they have mixed feelings about the area, some really like it, some dont. eado is definitely up and coming, but it looks like it'll be 10-15 years before it becomes a 'hit' urban area. as much rapid development going on in the area, many are going to sit on their empty investment lots (cheaper taxes) for the next coming years and it'll be kind of slow before it really takes off imo. one complaint i have is lack of good grocery store. have you figured out what part of midtown you want to look at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
Also Eado will never never be anything like the Heights. It is nowhere near the same.
yep, the heights is more of a 'urban neighborhood', eado is urban with a lot of warehouses and some factories.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan View Post
my friends who have rented lofts out there usually move out after their lease is up - they have mixed feelings about the area, some really like it, some dont. eado is definitely up and coming, but it looks like it'll be 10-15 years before it becomes a 'hit' urban area. as much rapid development going on in the area, many are going to sit on their empty investment lots (cheaper taxes) for the next coming years and it'll be kind of slow before it really takes off imo. one complaint i have is lack of good grocery store. have you figured out what part of midtown you want to look at?

yep, the heights is more of a 'urban neighborhood', eado is urban with a lot of warehouses and some factories.
Well i am looking at chenevert around baldwin park. Also looking at anita and brazos.

I am a single guy with no kids, i am planning on living there maybe 2 to 3 years then convert it to an investment property and lease it and buy somewhere else whenever i am ready for kids and settling down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston