Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 01:24 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,754,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyf View Post
There should be a law against having your pants/shorts hanging off your knees showing your boxers or underwear.
How about a laws prohibiting women in short skirts, men walking around shirtless, women jogging in sports bras, women showing cleavage, etc? Sounds fair, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmj View Post

Yeah, where does he get off? Who does he think he is? Who said he could just come in, buy outright one of the most dilapidated; bat, roach, bedbug, and rat infested; Beirut Boulevard for a parking lot; and gang-ridden apartment complexes in the city and then have the audacity to clean it up and make it safe for families - all while living there?

See how silly is sounds when you complain about color of a man's shoelaces as he crosses the finish line of the marathon you didn't run? I'm sure the people interviews for these stories/articles I've linked certainly don't mind.

Life in the 7400 block of Bissonnet - Houston Chronicle
Never said he didn't reserve the legal right, nor am I trying to take away from the improvements he's made. I disagree that targeting a specific group and telling them how to dress is an improvement. Sagging does not offend or bother everyone. He has a personal hang up about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 01:43 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,960,519 times
I'm skeptical that banning sagging pants or a curfew deters long term crime. If so it'd be public policy tomorrow. I just find it funny that some people would shout repression if Cuba outlawed baggy pants but if an owner of business did it, well then it's just a rational choice to improve an investment. It's not discrimination or enforcing moral code at all.

It's just more nonsense because people just deny that crime and poverty are structural issues and you can ban all the baggy jeans you want and deter all the "undesirables", crime just shifts to a different spot. Proly a few streets down.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:18 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,459,343 times
It's not that the jeans are baggy. MC Hammer wore baggy pants but the waistband wasn't under his ass cheeks.

Cops love this stuff. Not only does it make profiling easier, but it's harder to run away when your pants are falling off.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:40 PM

498 posts, read 834,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Deter undesirables? LOL. I love the Dickens era mentality to ownership. He owns, so any thing he says goes because everything an owner does is just rational self interest. The anti poor, borderline elitist stuff that people get away with on the Texas CD forum is so laughable.
What's "LOL-able" is that you seem to always have the solutions to all of Houston's problems, from way over there in California. Have you ponied up one penny to fix this town? The guy that just bought 7400 Bissonnet has. His money; his property; his rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Sagging does not offend or bother everyone. He has a personal hang up about it.
You seem to be more concerned about this than the rest of us combined.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:46 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,229,350 times
Quote:
It's just more nonsense because people just deny that crime and poverty are structural issues and you can ban all the baggy jeans you want and deter all the "undesirables", crime just shifts to a different spot. Proly a few streets down.
Probably...but the residents of HIS complex are safer. Drastic times call for drastic measures. He never claimed to solve the nation's socioeconomic problems. We're just talking about Gulfton, and the residents feel 1,000 times safer.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It's not that the jeans are baggy. MC Hammer wore baggy pants but the waistband wasn't under his ass cheeks.

Cops love this stuff. Not only does it make profiling easier, but it's harder to run away when your pants are falling off.
Wow, how many times have I heard this quip regurgitated over the past two decades?

What they won't tell you is that 1) the serious criminals they actually go after are as likely to have their pants worn at the waist as they are to be sagging and that 2) most young men who sag aren't criminals at all.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
What of it? Every individual is entitled to what they consider important, so there's no reason that my concerns should mirror yours or anyone else's. Never in my adult life have I been blinded by groupthink, and I'm certainly not about to start now.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
What's "LOL-able" is that you seem to always have the solutions to all of Houston's problems, from way over there in California. Have you ponied up one penny to fix this town? The guy that just bought 7400 Bissonnet has. His money; his property; his rules.

Feeling safer is actually a lot different than actually being safer. Banning baggy jeans doesn't deter long term crime. Most criminals, the vast majority don't wear baggy pants. Its a silly enforcement and blatantly discriminatory. The guys done nothing really ah d you guys are delusional in you think one old guy discovered the solution to solving long term crime.

It's the pants! But of course!

Old 10-12-2014, 04:14 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,899,449 times
Quote:
Feeling safer is actually a lot different than actually being safer. Banning baggy jeans doesn't deter long term crime. Most criminals, the vast majority don't wear baggy pants. Its a silly enforcement and blatantly discriminatory. The guys done nothing really ah d you guys are delusional in you think one old guy discovered the solution to solving long term crime.

It's the pants! But of course!
I think you're the only one who is only focusing on the pants.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
I think you're the only one who is only focusing on the pants.
Toss in the curfew too then

Last edited by radiolibre99; 10-12-2014 at 04:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston