Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2014, 08:58 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times

Advertisements

Anyone work in a Corp. finance job (I guess most of it is in the oil sector) at one of the Fortune 500's based in the Houston area?

What's a typical workday involve? What's the environment/hours like? Compensation?

Any information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 10:04 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Corporate finance includes quite an array of different jobs, which vary substantially in terms of both responsibilities and wages depending on the company.

What sort of corporate finance-related experience do you have? That is going to be the primary driver that determines what types of corporate finance jobs you might be eligible for.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Corporate finance includes quite an array of different jobs, which vary substantially in terms of both responsibilities and wages depending on the company.

What sort of corporate finance-related experience do you have? That is going to be the primary driver that determines what types of corporate finance jobs you might be eligible for.
I'm currently employed as a credit analyst at a factoring firm in NYC. I'm in the process of obtaining my MS in Finance (just started; have 1.5 years left). I'm looking at mostly analyst positions.

Most of my classmates are shooting for investment banking, equity research, investment/Asset management etc. Personally, I don't wish to go that route because of quality of life issues here in NYC (born and raised here). I have a few friends in IB/investment management and they all hate it but once you're making the kind of comp they do and have the "prestige" of the industry, it's hard to take a step back for most.

The firm I currently work at is great but I want to move out of NYC. The industry I work in and all (legit firms) of our competitors are based in NYC, so my chances of staying within the factoring industry are slim if I wish to move. Corporate finance seems to be the best direction to go. NYC has many F500 firms but few of them are extremely capital intensive and that's where Corp. finance is most concentrated ( heavy industrial, utilities, manufacturing, etc).

NYC is a completely different animal relative to the rest of the country so I have little to go on. Out of school, I'd be shooting for 65k-70K with an approx. 50 hour work week. Texas is one of the states I'm looking to move to.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:02 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I'm currently employed as a credit analyst at a factoring firm in NYC. I'm in the process of obtaining my MS in Finance (just started; have 1.5 years left). I'm looking at mostly analyst positions.

Most of my classmates are shooting for investment banking, equity research, investment/Asset management etc. Personally, I don't wish to go that route because of quality of life issues here in NYC (born and raised here). I have a few friends in IB/investment management and they all hate it but once you're making the kind of comp they do and have the "prestige" of the industry, it's hard to take a step back for most.

The firm I currently work at is great but I want to move out of NYC. The industry I work in and all (legit firms) of our competitors are based in NYC, so my chances of staying within the factoring industry are slim if I wish to move. Corporate finance seems to be the best direction to go. NYC has many F500 firms but few of them are extremely capital intensive and that's where Corp. finance is most concentrated ( heavy industrial, utilities, manufacturing, etc).

NYC is a completely different animal relative to the rest of the country so I have little to go on. Out of school, I'd be shooting for 65k-70K with an approx. 50 hour work week. Texas is one of the states I'm looking to move to.
You could pull 65-70k on 45-50 hr weeks as an analyst in houston with a major wire house. Merrill Morgan or UBS

Old 10-12-2014, 08:06 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

The best way to get started in a career in corporate finance is right out of graduate school. And the best way to do that is with an internship. Use the placement office at your university to help you target companies here in Houston, or wherever you want to go, many of the larger of which will have recruiters actively recruiting at major university MBA programs, such as the University of Texas at Austin and others around the country. They will also be able to specifically answer your questions about what the corporate finance career paths at their particular companies look like.

Honestly, it is a pretty tough field to get into outside of being recruited directly out of school. Not that it cannot be done, but at the larger companies, it is very difficult to make a career change midstream into that line of work. You are considering this possibility at the right time.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:18 AM

129 posts, read 234,606 times
AIG has a large campus here in Houston. The pay is competitive. I recommend checking their website for postings.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:50 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I appreciate and will look into them.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:55 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmILost View Post
AIG has a large campus here in Houston. The pay is competitive. I recommend checking their website for postings.
And most of our Finance related jobs are in the corporate offices in NY or NJ. There are a few positions here and other states, but they are probably not things the OP is qualified for. It is worth a look though. There is a treasury analyst position and also a payroll accountant position listed.

http://www.aig.com/job-search_3171_440685.html

Good luck to the OP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston