Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 11:29 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times

Advertisements

Because the CEO gets more productive results with people in the office. That's what I've been told when 9/80 schedule was done away with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 11:31 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2thecity View Post
I think that's the weakest argument against telecommuting that there is; if anything, if it's offered people who appreciate it will do their best to keep their job. If someone isn't doing their work, fire them. It's simple. Isn't that what should happen whether they work in the office or not?
It is one thing to ask an engineer making 6 figures to work independently. It is another thing to ask the accounts payable clerk making 15 bucks and hour to work independently unsupervised.

I been an employer for many years in hiring both professionals and retail. Most people need supervision. There is only a small percentage of people that can motivate themselves and organize themselves to work at home effectively. The couple times I agree to let employee telecommute have back-fired on me everytime.

I currently work at home myself and I also have telecommute for an employer before. With that said, there are certain days I have to try really hard to get myself motivated to work.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:46 AM

360 posts, read 665,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
It is one thing to ask an engineer making 6 figures to work independently. It is another thing to ask the accounts payable clerk making 15 bucks and hour to work independently unsupervised.

I been an employer for many years in hiring both professionals and retail. Most people need supervision. There is only a small percentage of people that can motivate themselves and organize themselves to work at home effectively. The couple times I agree to let employee telecommute have back-fired on me everytime.

I currently work at home myself and I also have telecommute for an employer before. With that said, there are certain days I have to try really hard to get myself motivated to work.
I understand what you're saying. But I believe there will always be days where people just aren't motivated. Being in the office doesn't make anyone work harder on those days. I don't believe telecommuting is an answer to every job, industry, or title. I posted earlier that my position would not allow for it. But I think it would work for many others and it could reduce congestion in the city.

I still believe an employer would get and keep better employees if it is offered. There would definitely be a trial and error period where some people would need to stay in the office or be fired because, as you've stated, some people need the direct supervision. But that's not the case for all people. My office pretty much operates in a telecommuting environment. There's only a handful of us in the office today, but trust me, everyone not here is definitely completing their work or they wouldn't last here.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:48 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Many people have mentioned taxes and tolls as a way to ease congestion. I REALLY think the city should get with employers and strongly encourage them to utilize technology and allow employees to telecommute.
I don't mean to offend you .... but this is gotta be a joke

Businesses do/work the way they think is most profitable to them
I don't see why the government should step in and tell businesses their business hours or how to operate their business.

Quote:
I'm completely convinced that at least 75% of people that commute to work everyday could work from home. If Big Brother would learn to pay people for WORK and not for time and physical presence, most people would be much happier and the companies would be more efficient.
I'm also convinced that 90% of Americans would work 1/2 as much if they worked from home.
BTW, who's "Big brother"?

Old 10-14-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I think that's the weakest argument against telecommuting that there is; if anything, if it's offered people who appreciate it will do their best to keep their job. If someone isn't doing their work, fire them. It's simple. Isn't that what should happen whether they work in the office or not?
You sound like you've never had a job.
I've had over 20 jobs since I was a kid, ranging from fast food restaurants, factory worker, telecommunications techncian, engineer and everything in between.

I know for a fact that most people slack around if they know they can get away with it.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I don't mean to offend you .... but this is gotta be a joke

Businesses do/work the way they think is most profitable to them
I don't see why the government should step in and tell businesses their business hours or how to operate their business.

I'm also convinced that 90% of Americans would work 1/2 as much if they worked from home.
BTW, who's "Big brother"?
Nope, not a joke and I'm not offended. They don't have to TELL them anything, but they can offer an incentive to reduce the traffic and congestion. A population of millions accessing the same infrastructure at the same time daily is not good for anyone. So why not have city officials speak with employers about ways to lighten the load? The load IS coming from how those employers operate their businesses and schedule their employees. Why is it a joke to expect people to attempt to work together for the greater good? (oops, the jokes write themselves for that question!)

Anyway, I'm convinced that people have a very negative opinion about other people's work habits. I think people would work more efficiently if they had a choice and the opportunity for more free time. It would take some getting used to and I'm sure many people would still prefer to come into the office. But for those that wouldn't, it's pretty sad that people would just assume they're not doing sh*t. Honestly, the 8-5 workday in the office was not designed with modern technology in mind. Most office workers could do their jobs in 1/2 the time in their PJs if they possess the right time management and computer skills.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You sound like you've never had a job.
I've had over 20 jobs since I was a kid, ranging from fast food restaurants, factory worker, telecommunications techncian, engineer and everything in between.

I know for a fact that most people slack around if they know they can get away with it.
And you sound like someone with low tolerance for different ideals. I'm not making this up. This is nothing new. There are many companies that already allow this, so it CAN be done. I was just bringing it up as a means to relieve traffic congestion.

I've been working for 17 years. I began in retail and have been working in corporate jobs for 12 years. I know exactly what people do and don't do in an office. Slackers will slack regardless. And I've already stated that this would not be the answer to all jobs, titles, and industries. However, just because some people are unmotivated and need a thumb on their head to do their jobs, that is not the case for all people. Again, I think people would do their jobs more efficiently. If people were paid for WORK and not TIME there would be no slacking.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:03 PM

135 posts, read 179,589 times
Quote:
Telecommuting is productive if you have a productive employee. It would be a great way to weed out those that don't work. No matter where you are physically, if you're responsible, you'll do your work. I used to work at the biggest utility in Houston and there were many people that disappeared into the downtown tunnels for several "breaks" during the day. Or there were people constantly getting busted by security for internet usage and I think we all know people that simply don't work all day. I had a co-worker that would complete all her work by 2 and spend the next three hours visiting and talking with people on multiple floors in multiple departments.
The problem is that you are giving us a personal hypothesis and associated anecdote - and I would want far, far more than that before a government clerk starts mandating work processes and practices. There has been a bit of both academic and practical research into your proposition, and even some examples (such as the largely failed Yahoo initiative). As far as I know and have read, it is one of those ideas that sounds a lot better in theory than practice - kind of like solar energy. You should try to quantify your hypothesis with something more than "I think".

This bit of research might be a start: http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2012/06/art3full.pdf

Last edited by J_Treehorn; 10-14-2014 at 01:21 PM..

Old 10-14-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
They don't have to TELL them anything, but they can offer an incentive to reduce the traffic and congestion.
What incentive? Tax dollars?
How is the government going to verify that people taking those tax dollars actually do what they promised they would do?

Old 10-14-2014, 02:16 PM

670 posts, read 1,441,831 times
I don't know whether to laugh or cry after reading this thread, so I'll just post this.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston