Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 07:46 PM

16 posts, read 22,029 times

Advertisements

Good day,

Just graduated from college and trying to find my own place in Houston. I am trying to find something close to the University of Houston (maybe 15-20 miles away) that it is not super expensive (up to 1200 for 2 bedroom or around 900 for one bedroom) and also not in a bad neighborhood. I found one complex just to find out it was in Fondren rd which is SouthWest part of Houston (that's apparently one of the worst neighborhoods). All the places I find have the same problem with roaches which I truly hate. If anyone knows any complex please share. Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 09:45 PM

483 posts, read 655,120 times
When me and husband lived in Houston 2 years ago after college, him and his roommate rented a 2 bed at a place called Harvest Hill. Its off of main, right across the street from Reliant. It should be a straight shot down Old Spanish and then cut up to UH.
The complex is older, but I was over there alot and was never put off by anything. Not too noisy, neighbors keep to themselves(lots of young medical center students because of the light rail). They never had maintenance issues and things functioned. There were some roaches, but nothing major. Those nasty things are just a part of Houston living, I rented a garage apartment right outside of Rice Village that had 'em. They are everywhere that you can't just bug bomb the whole place.

I used to walk my dog around Harvest Hill at night when I was over and never had an issue and they have a pool and plenty of parking.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:34 PM

16 posts, read 22,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelti12 View Post
When me and husband lived in Houston 2 years ago after college, him and his roommate rented a 2 bed at a place called Harvest Hill. Its off of main, right across the street from Reliant. It should be a straight shot down Old Spanish and then cut up to UH.
The complex is older, but I was over there alot and was never put off by anything. Not too noisy, neighbors keep to themselves(lots of young medical center students because of the light rail). They never had maintenance issues and things functioned. There were some roaches, but nothing major. Those nasty things are just a part of Houston living, I rented a garage apartment right outside of Rice Village that had 'em. They are everywhere that you can't just bug bomb the whole place.

I used to walk my dog around Harvest Hill at night when I was over and never had an issue and they have a pool and plenty of parking.
Thanks. I will check them out. When it comes to bugs, I am ready to pay extra money just so pest control can spray my apartment. However, I heard that there are cases when no pest control helps at all. Now I don't want to be in that situation at all.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:02 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,288,426 times
You may find something off Holly Hall near the Dome.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:16 PM

483 posts, read 655,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
You may find something off Holly Hall near the Dome.

Those apartments I listed are off Holly Hall. The OP is right, there is a large chunk of complexes in that area. I don't know any of the others but its worth checking out.

In terms of bugs, when I got roaches I just got some plain Borox, the powered form. And sprinkled it around places I knew they were getting in. Works like a charm and is safe for pets and people, I used it because I had a dog.

Also keep the apartment dry. They go after water wayyy more then food(they can survive days with no food) I keep a cleaner in my toilet bowl(the kind you drop in the tank) and dried out my sinks and keep them sprayed with cleaner when I wasn't using them. The bugs will probably just move on to someone else's apartment after they figure it out.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:04 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Those are mostly older complexes off Holly Hall and Westridge near Reliant. Note as well that area gets very congested during events at Reliant. Rodeo time is a lot of fun if you're there. At least on the Holly Hall side you can get to 288 without going through it. "Safe" and "non-expensive" are pretty relative terms. If you feel OK on campus, you'll probably be fine there. Don't leave valuables in the car.

Also, that borax is good stuff. Works for fleas too, if you have pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: