Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 12:17 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,563,513 times

Advertisements

im surprised there was not a thread on this already..

the Centennial Gardens had a sneak peek/preview on saturday, and will be completed and open officially in another month.

a little background info on the $31 million garden for those out of the loop...

Quote:
The Hermann Park Conservancy gave the public a sneak peek inside its new gardens and pavilion on Oct. 18.
The McGovern Centennial Gardens and the Cherie Flores Garden Pavilion are on 15 acres at the north side of the park, just east of the Houston Museum of Natural Science. The new gardens and pavilion, built on the former site of the Garden Center, represent the largest improvement project to the park since it was founded in 1914.
Hermann Park's new McGovern Centennial Gardens and Cherie Flores Garden Pavilion open for sneak peek - Houston Business Journal

the pavilion was designed by Bohlin Cywinski Jackson, the person who designs the signature glass box Apple stores, and the garden landscaping was designed by Hoerr Schaudt, based in Chicago; and White Oak Studio, based in Houston.

here are some photos i took at the ceremony on saturday. apparently thousands visited the new addition to the park throughout the day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 02:15 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
It looks nice, but I wish it had more of a botanical garden feel, a playscape, or a sculpture garden.

I want something to actually draw me in to use the space.

Edit: I see it will have more kinds of interesting plants and a sculpture area.

Last edited by Meyerland; 10-21-2014 at 02:53 PM..

Old 10-21-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
It looks nice, but I wish it had more of a botanical garden feel, a playscape, or a sculpture garden.

I want something to actually draw me in to use the space.

Edit: I see it will have more kinds of interesting plants and a sculpture area.
i agree a botanical garden is needed in Houston (i dont really count the one way out near Spring/Humble.. we need one IN the city), but i read somewhere that they were trying to avoid a botanical garden vibe with this addition. my theory.. its only 15 acres (and the parking lot eats into some of that i believe); theres no way they could make a legit botanical garden for the citizens of Houston on that tiny plot. (theyve been trying to propose botanical gardens before on [what they hoped to be] former golf courses and what not, always being much larger than this addition.. around 100 acres or so).

there is a sculpture garden of sorts [i wish it was abstract], though its pretty much just busts of historical people that had some significance/relation to Houston along a pathway from the northwest entrance. also a few large statues scattered here and there (off hand.. one is by the rose garden, nearest to the Taiwanese Gazebo, and another is located to the southwest of the mount), a monument is in the "Pine Forest Walk" area (i think its old?), and the little fountain with a statue spraying water thats photographed above.

as for "something to draw you in" they describe the central green space as an "event lawn" if i recall correctly (unfortunately i lost the little flyer handout thing we got at the opening), and have the celebration garden to the north side for outdoor gatherings, weddings, and what not, an indoor pavilion (the one designed by the Apple store designer) for indoor meeting space, and a fruit/vegetable garden where they plan to host gardening seminar type things i believe. they will create reasons to visit this park if the pure beauty alone isnt enough to draw you in. it will really be something to behold once the vegetation grows up the trellises and they finish the rose garden, the desert garden, and the other landscaping that needs to be completed. im looking forward to going back when its all 100% complete.

here is the sculptural walk

the monument is behind the tree in the front right.

statue to the right.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:24 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
Gotcha! It looks nice, and will probably be good for events.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:14 AM

391 posts, read 424,764 times
I need to get down there and check it out. From the pictures it looks sort of ... uninspired? That waterfall feature is cool though!

Last edited by Mandres; 10-27-2014 at 10:40 AM..

Old 10-27-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres View Post
I need to get down there and check it out. From the pictures it looks sort of ... uninspired? That waterfall feature is cool though!
Its not open yet. That was a sneak peak preview. Everything should be done by the end of November I believe. You definitely need to get down there and check it out after it opens. My amature photos don't do it justice. It will be absolutely amazing once everything is planted, the vegetation fills in/grows up the trellises along both sides of the great lawn and the roses grow up the archways they are putting around the road garden.

If you haven't seen the original renderings/plans for the park here they are to give you an idea of what to expect upon completion..

http://swamplot.com/sketching-the-gr...er/2013-05-14/

Old 10-27-2014, 01:26 PM

914 posts, read 1,832,630 times
I walked by there yesterday, and the area is fenced off. There is a sign saying that all of the rains delayed their construction schedule. It should be a nice space when it opens. It sure beats the tired garden center that was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston