Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 06:18 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope99 View Post
My daughter has 27 children in her first grade class at Horn in Bellaire and by Texas state law the maximum is 22. I have the following questions and would appreciate any feedback...

1) Is it worthwhile appealing to HISD to correct this issue? Will they do anything? Is there anyone above HISD with whom we could address this?

2) Has anyone heard anything about re-zoning plans for 2015/2016 school year?

3) Does class size really make a difference in the quality of education? We are considering private schools that have 20 per class. Has anyone switched because of class size and did you see a difference?

Thank you.
Research says there's really not much difference unless you significantly reduce class sizes. 16 works noticeably better than 32, but 22 vs. 27 isn't much difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 10:52 AM

19 posts, read 40,881 times
Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like I shouldn't count on a change in class size...what impact that will have is debatable, I guess. I have heard class size is important for early elementary. Public vs private. 20 vs 27. Who knows?!? She's happy now and I hate to move her. But, I'd hate for her to fall behind of private kids (we plan on private for middle school entry). She is g/t, but I hear private works a grade level ahead. Anyone else face this decision? How did it work out for you?

Old 10-28-2014, 11:23 AM

556 posts, read 1,086,589 times
only you can decide what is best for your kid, but you are enrolled in one of the very best grade schools in HISD (and the state for the matter) so count yourself lucky!

Old 10-28-2014, 11:40 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
If you are planning on private for Middle school, then switching earlier can be a stress reliever. I wouldn't want to spend the money on private yet, but lots of people do. It is harder to get into private schools due to the huge influx of people to the Houston area, so you might want to keep that in mind.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:21 PM

399 posts, read 641,931 times
I would either wait until a natural entry point... some is 5th and some 6th or switch her this coming year. If you wait much longer it will be hard to join all those kids who have been together since kindergarten unless a natural entry point.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:29 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
I thought of this thread when I saw this article in the Seattle Times:

Does class size matter? Research reveals surprises | Education | The Seattle Times

Neither public nor private is 'better', it is so dependent on family/child and school, but I will say that if you are planning to go private at middle school then you should consider applying at least one year before the natural entry point. Before then it's nice if you can do it but, at least at our private school, 5th grade is when the students are really groomed for middle school. Now that I have a middle schooler I listen to the new parents bemoaning that their kids are not well prepared despite coming from the 'best' public and even other private schools. Every school has its own culture and the transition from lower to middle school is already a big one.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:55 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
That's not always true. Here is a run of the mill homework problem for a fourth grader in HISD...

Cara had 57 rocks, but she dropped some in the street. She has 14 rocks left. Which equation, when solved, will show how many rocks Cara dropped in the street?

A. r ÷ 14 = 57

B. 14 – r = 57

C. 57 – r = 14

D. 57 ÷ r = 14

Here is another...
Write 6 5/8 as an improper fraction.

And another..

What is the mean?

10 7 10 2 1

I know plenty of adults who would have trouble answering these questions.
Just because the question is tough doesn't mean the kid can answer it.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:56 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity101 View Post
This couldn't be further from the truth. The slower kids are the ones that are going to have the hardest time in most HISD schools. They will slip right through the cracks unless the parents lean on the school. In most of your remedial classes, the teacher spends most of their time disciplining rather than teaching.

The driven, smart kids will place in the the advanced classes and/or magnet/vanguard programs and can get a similar quality education to a prestigious private school.

Just look at what the Carnegie Vanguard program turns out every year. Sure, this is the cream of the crop, but don't tell me HISD doesn't have solid programs for gifted kids.
It is obvious you have never worked in public education in Texas.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:21 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Hmmm... If I was a parent of a young child again, Core Ciriculum would have me running and screaming to private all by itself. stupidest thing I've ever seen. Can you imagine what that will do the the ADHA or Dyslexic kids, not to mention the slow ones?..

Old 10-29-2014, 06:31 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Hmmm... If I was a parent of a young child again, Core Ciriculum would have me running and screaming to private all by itself. stupidest thing I've ever seen. Can you imagine what that will do the the ADHA or Dyslexic kids, not to mention the slow ones?..
We don't have Common Core in Texas.

Not that I'm defending the public education system in Texas, believe me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: