Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 02:22 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
What I don't get is the mind set that says trees are less important than sidewalks. That whole story about sidewalks is BS.

I'd bet the rent money that had a call been made, the problem with the sidewalk explained, the city and/or the neighborhood and customers would have gladly kicked in to replace the sidewalks. Trees for Houston certainly would have.

They could have root pruned, or put down a root barrier. This neighborhood we are in planted 2 or 3 live oaks on each tiny lot. At about age 25, there will be sidewalk, driveway and foundation stories from every homeowner. We are putting down root barriers. They could have,too.
Yeah, builders fell in love - apparently all at the same time - with live oaks. Now I am finally seeing some magnolias, crepe myrtles, and pines being planted by builders, along with the live oaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 02:47 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Yeah, builders fell in love - apparently all at the same time - with live oaks. Now I am finally seeing some magnolias, crepe myrtles, and pines being planted by builders, along with the live oaks.
Finally seeing crepe myrtles and pines????

Old 10-31-2014, 03:00 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Interesting that the city feel outrage after few trees has been cut down (I am not minimizing their importance, of course), but look another way when developers tear down historic houses. Those could not be replaced.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:52 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
Finally seeing crepe myrtles and pines????
As in builder planted - people have been adding them forever on their own. If you are north, the pines were already there. Builders are even adding pines Cinco way, now. Please note the bolded parts. I didn't say that crepe myrtles, magnolias and pines were new to Houston.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:02 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times
Some trees do cost a lot of damage to the pavement and their roots do encroach on private properties causing more damage. In my city I see a few sidewalks where it's so uprooted by the roots of trees but there is no money/staff to fix them. Most cities think about today when they plant trees, and forget about the future when they cause damage. There should be size limits when planting trees in the city to avoid future problems.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:17 PM

804 posts, read 1,075,637 times
well and another thing that looks bad is a huge live oak planted to close to the street and its pruned ugly so large trucks can drive under it. why people plant trees close to the street and under power lines just shows how shortsighted they are.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:55 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Interesting that the city feel outrage after few trees has been cut down (I am not minimizing their importance, of course), but look another way when developers tear down historic houses. Those could not be replaced.
We need stronger historical preservation ordinances but in most cases those are buildings that are in the private sector, the COH ownership of those trees, however is not in question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Some trees do cost a lot of damage to the pavement and their roots do encroach on private properties causing more damage. In my city I see a few sidewalks where it's so uprooted by the roots of trees but there is no money/staff to fix them. Most cities think about today when they plant trees, and forget about the future when they cause damage. There should be size limits when planting trees in the city to avoid future problems.
Those trees were planted 10 years ago and this guy knew what condition that property was in when he acquired it. Its not like they planted the trees after he bought the property. Even if they had planted them after his acquisition there are channels to pursue instead of arbitrarily cutting them down under cover of the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
well and another thing that looks bad is a huge live oak planted to close to the street and its pruned ugly so large trucks can drive under it. why people plant trees close to the street and under power lines just shows how shortsighted they are.
The city definitely should keep any trees on their right of ways trimmed away from power lines and traffic. These considerations should play into where these trees are planted, but once planted, circumstances sometimes change, and over the years become a problem nobody could foresee. There are remedies for this, You don't just cut them down if you do not own the property they are located on. Otherwise neighbors will be cutting down each others tress right and left all over the city and that will lead to chaos.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:33 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Those trees were planted 10 years ago and this guy knew what condition that property was in when he acquired it. Its not like they planted the trees after he bought the property. Even if they had planted them after his acquisition there are channels to pursue instead of arbitrarily cutting them down under cover of the night.
What he did was wrong, but with city cutbacks everywhere there is less money to go around and take care of these trees on a regular basis. In my city there used to be a huge leaf collection on the sidewalks twice or three times a year. Now it's scaled to once a year. The city should stop planting new trees because realistically most cities do not have the budget to take care of them, especially when they grow and destroy sidewalks and private property.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:09 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
What he did was wrong, but with city cutbacks everywhere there is less money to go around and take care of these trees on a regular basis. In my city there used to be a huge leaf collection on the sidewalks twice or three times a year. Now it's scaled to once a year. The city should stop planting new trees because realistically most cities do not have the budget to take care of them, especially when they grow and destroy sidewalks and private property.
Sidewalks and parking lots are going to crack with or without trees, I consider this peripheral damage and well worth the esthetics of having green trees and the shade they provide. If trees are interfering with drainage , electrical or sewage infrastructure, then by all means the COH should take whatever steps necessary to alleviate the problem.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:52 AM

129 posts, read 170,998 times
One solution is for the government to actually regulate the big developers when they're initially bulldozing all the native trees that are already there. If you build around some of the large mature trees already there the ground will be leveled and built on with the full grown roots already there. Hence no foundation/sidwalk/street/parkinglot damage exacerbated by roots from ugly oak trees as they reach maturity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston