Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 03:53 PM

28 posts, read 65,870 times

Advertisements

We are moving into a new home and this is the company that pre-wired the home. If we go with a different company, it voids the warranty on the alarm system. Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with ConnectOne Security because I can't seem to find much about them online.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 05:53 PM

676 posts, read 931,478 times
Avoid them. They just re-sell ADT, which is way over priced, monitored out of state and has horrid CS. Connect One was formerly Ranger American. As long as it is a name brand system (Honeywell, GE/UTC, DSC, etc.) there should still be a manufacture warranty.

I have Alarm Masters and they have been excellent and can use the existing equipment. They are also monitored locally and have a backup agreement with an alarm company in San Antonio incase something were to happen to the one here. I pay $37.90/month no contract for broadband (no phone line needed, just high speed internet) and cellular monitoring and it also has an iPhone/Android app for remote control and notifications. They also call extremely fast when the alarm is set off, in addition to the even faster (instant) push notifications on my iPhone. They installed wired contacts on all the doors and windows (none of those pos wireless sensors, they only use those of there is no possible way to run a wire), glass breaks in every room, motions in the Den, living, master, and hall, and smoke/heat detectors throughout. They can tell me precisely what sensor tripped the system and it also shows on the app and keypads.

Some will also recommend Smith Thompson. I have had them also (parents still do, for now) and while their CS is great, their technology and monitoring capabilities are far more limited. They are monitored in Plano with no secondary backup facility. Their 16.95/month rate gets you a cell transmitter that only says the alarm is going off, does not transmit zone information or system trouble conditions. It also does not send duress alarms. They also only install the most basic, low-end models of DSC equipment. Its a case of you get what you pay for.

Last edited by ilikeme; 11-11-2014 at 06:26 PM..

Old 11-11-2014, 09:50 PM

Thank you for all of that helpful information. I'll look into Alarm Masters. Do you know how that compares to Vivint? I used to use Smith Thompson, but someone broke into my house when the alarm was armed and the alarm didn't even go off, so no more Smith Thompson for me.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manninggirl View Post
Thank you for all of that helpful information. I'll look into Alarm Masters. Do you know how that compares to Vivint? I used to use Smith Thompson, but someone broke into my house when the alarm was armed and the alarm didn't even go off, so no more Smith Thompson for me.
Vivnt is even worse than adt! They are known for contracts that last up to 5 years and are over $50 per month. The systems they install are also an all-in-one system where the brain of the system is built into the keypad instead of being hidden in a closet. With the all in one system the burglar could knock it off the wall and destroy it before it even calls the monitoring center as most of these systems from companies like adt and Vivint also have a call out delay of up to a minute after the alarm is set off.

With most of the local companies you will pay more up front for the install but end up paying less per month than the national companies and usually will have no contract.

I highly recommend avoiding any of the national companies as all they want to do is get in and out as fast as possible, usually leaving large coverage holes in the system. I have been extremely satisfied with Alarm Masters and all doors and windows in my house have 3 layers of protection with contacts, glass break detectors, and motion detectors. Their phone number is 281-933-3900.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:55 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,966 times
ADT, Alarm Masters, or Frontpoint (if they still serve this area)

Old 11-12-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
ADT, Alarm Masters, or Frontpoint (if they still serve this area)
I woulnd't recommend Front Point or any of the other "DIY" systems. They are too easy to defeat. They also are not really any cheaper than the hardwired systems. I priced out Frontpoint just for the heck of it and to get the same coverage and service that my hardwired system has now would still be around $2500 for all the parts plus $50/month+tax + a 3 year contract for cell only monitoring. I paid about $2500 to have my real alarm system installed and only pay $37.90/month no-contract and has dual connection paths (cellular and broadband).

Last edited by ilikeme; 11-12-2014 at 08:34 AM..

Old 11-12-2014, 09:34 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,966 times
I usually don't put DIY projects beyond anyone since I have seen some pretty awesome DIY system installed in very expensive homes. Just takes some research.

I realize most people want total home service and that's usually the best for the homeowner.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
I usually don't put DIY projects beyond anyone since I have seen some pretty awesome DIY system installed in very expensive homes. Just takes some research.

I realize most people want total home service and that's usually the best for the homeowner.
Don't get me wrong, there can be some awesome DIY setups, but there can also be terrible ones. The main things I don't like about the DIY systems are that

A: they are usually all-in-one, which means the main panel/brain can easily defeated/destroyed/stolen
B: A lot of people just buy sensors for their doors and maybe a motion, not realizing that they are still leaving huge coverage gaps
C: The monitoring rates are way overpriced for what you get. CS can be hit-or-miss depending on the company. I have heard terrible things from friends who have tried Simply Safe.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeme View Post
I woulnd't recommend Front Point or any of the other "DIY" systems. They are too easy to defeat. They also are not really any cheaper than the hardwired systems. I priced out Frontpoint just for the heck of it and to get the same coverage and service that my hardwired system has now would still be around $2500 for all the parts plus $50/month+tax + a 3 year contract for cell only monitoring. I paid about $2500 to have my real alarm system installed and only pay $37.90/month no-contract and has dual connection paths (cellular and broadband).

What about Frontpoint and other DIY systems is too easy to defeat?

Old 11-12-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manninggirl View Post
What about Frontpoint and other DIY systems is too easy to defeat?
The main "brain" is built into the keypad instead of hidden away in the back of a closet. Someone can knock it off the wall or table and destroy it relatively easily, rendering the system useless, especially if they do it before the call out delay has ended. With the all-in-one unit the main control panel/keypad is often also large, ugly, and bulky compared to traditional alarm systems. The other problem is that a lot of people that get these systems miss a lot of places that need coverage, often leaving large parts of the house not covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston