Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 05:55 AM

222 posts, read 450,564 times

Advertisements

Mustang Engineering, fluor, Worley Parsons, Jacobs and a few others I know of all laying off or recently underwent major layoffs. It is the end of the year and it always slows down this time of year but the low oil prices will definitely be effecting things. Dont let the real estate agents and those that can potentially turn a buck off of you jumping into a house now blow smoke up your a$$. The boom will slow next year and potentially we may see the bottom fall out. I would keep saving up cash and wait until you know how the O&G employment will be next year. If the bottom falls out then housing prices will drop drastically and you could potentially save a small fortune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
Services companies will take a hit, but the E&P folks are mostly hedged out (price fixed) for 5+ years at $90 a barrel of oil or more. This drop is nothing but the eb and flow of global demand and supply. We'll stop drilling, slow production, supply will go down...global demand will go up due to the low pricing, and prices will rise again.

Similar to this, what happened with those people saying that we'd see permanently depressed real estate prices after the crash in 08'?
Youre right, I do see a drop coming soon. I personally would keep saving up and when the bottom falls out and home prices come back down, then you buy. Then again you may pay slightly higher on you interest rate... That will even out if you have more cash saved up to put down.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:33 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
To me, it sounds like some of y'all are wishing that something bad happens.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:39 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,958 times
It's always important to have a plan B, or even C. Because you never know.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:32 AM

288 posts, read 433,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
There's a big difference between sunshine pumping/optimist, and the cautious.

Didn't you start a thread a while back on why so many people were being cautious with the oil boom? Its very cyclical and almost Vegas like.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:38 AM

671 posts, read 890,627 times
Oil prices aren't going to go up...USA policy is to flood the globe and keep oil prices down for it's economic war on Russia and to cripple the economy of the middle east.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:50 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
There's a big difference between sunshine pumping/optimist, and the cautious.

Didn't you start a thread a while back on why so many people were being cautious with the oil boom? Its very cyclical and almost Vegas like.
Well, you weren't one of the people who I was referring to.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:

To me, it sounds like some of y'all are way too overzealous with this latest boom. Its not like this hasn't happened before....

Old 11-18-2014, 11:11 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
It's always important to have a plan B, or even C. Because you never know.
Don't need a plan B when you are an electrical engineer

Old 11-19-2014, 12:56 PM

259 posts, read 510,468 times
Quote:
Yeah, there's a weird relationship with the Petro industry and the overall community in the Houston area. Everybody knows the amount of money involved with a career in the industry and there are people not in the in the industry who seem to almost revel when the industry goes through its challenges.

Very few workers in other industries get the same amount of flack than P&G. It's funny because whenever I tell a person the career path I'm on they almost always mention how "rich" I'm going to be. I ALWAYS downplay it, because it's almost embarrassing. Goodness forbid I actually like the type of work I'll be doing. Not everyone is so mercenary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston