Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 06:23 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times

Advertisements

I don't see the problem asking to know about areas where a particular language or culture is prominent (unless a white person asks about white areas and then turns, unfortunately, into a whole other animal). People may have every intention of learning English but feel more comfortable living around those that they share some commonality with. I too volunteered with non English speakers tutoring an esl class. The people were all trying very hard to learn English but some were very sad in not having neighbors like themselves to talk and reminisce with so they felt alone. They were from all over the globe, not just Spanish speaking countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 06:24 AM

189 posts, read 224,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
Yes, there is this area just a little south of Houston, it's call mexico. Give it a try...
He's referring to the city of South Houston which is mainly hispanic.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:17 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Gulfton and parts of Sharpstown
I don't think those can be characterized as "spanish only" areas. There are pockets sure, but english and vietnamese are also heard there.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:42 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdz1979 View Post
East End along Canal, Navigation, and Harrisburg going to Magnolia. Also on the Northside by Little York and Parker. Southwest has a lot of neighborhoods where Spanish is very dominate but its so diverse in the Southwest side that you will find large groups of other languages also. It's a very international city.
I don't think any of those area's are spanish only. A lot of the people who live there are like third, fouth, and fifth generation amerians and only/mostly speak english. You're probably more likely to hear all spanish in certain parts of southwest Houston.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:58 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Parts of SE Houston, Pasadena and city of South Houston. There's a reason why that first Mi Tienda is where it is.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:43 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
There are pockets throughout Houston where Spanish is the primary language. If you go into many of the bakeries off of 59 just south of 8, the employees only speak Spanish.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:40 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
Those neighborhoods should ban foreign signs and be forced to speak English. I'm sick of receiving manuals, brochures, and school letters in Spanish and then have to flip it over for English. Learn the language, people!
Really??? Ban? Force? Why?
There is no "official" language for the United States, although some individual states list English as their official language. If you would like the United States or your state to adopt an official language, you should contact your elected officials.
USA.gov: The U.S. Government's Official Web Portal
In fact, the American Civil Liberties Union argues that declaring English as the official language of the United States would violate the First Amendment. It will be also inconsistent with basic American traditions of linguistic tolerance.

Quote:
Don't you or the person you're seeking information for want to obtain US Citizenship eventually? Then, learning to speak and write in English is a must in order to pass the test. How can you do so if you or that person live in an all-speaking Spanish area?
No. According to:
Exceptions & Accommodations | USCIS
You may be permitted to take the civics test in your native language, but only if your understanding of spoken English is insufficient to conduct a valid examination in English.
If you take the test in your native language, you must bring an interpreter with you to your interview.

Last edited by elnina; 11-18-2014 at 03:02 PM..

Old 11-18-2014, 03:14 PM

804 posts, read 1,074,822 times
yea that whole must be able to speak and write English is very broad range of what is expected.i saw visa people at work that were expected to know English and I would say you could barely understand anything they said.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:24 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,724,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I don't see the problem asking to know about areas where a particular language or culture is prominent (unless a white person asks about white areas and then turns, unfortunately, into a whole other animal). People may have every intention of learning English but feel more comfortable living around those that they share some commonality with. I too volunteered with non English speakers tutoring an esl class. The people were all trying very hard to learn English but some were very sad in not having neighbors like themselves to talk and reminisce with so they felt alone. They were from all over the globe, not just Spanish speaking countries.
This here, exactly.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:11 PM

471 posts, read 850,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
Those neighborhoods should ban foreign signs and be forced to speak English. I'm sick of receiving manuals, brochures, and school letters in Spanish and then have to flip it over for English. Learn the language, people!
Lmfao Americans are the first to go around the world expecting everyone to speak English. Just ask the French
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston