Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 04:36 PM

370 posts, read 612,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Time View Post
hahahahaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Living in Houston is not like living in Manhattan. Major difference - no public transportation.
wow. i think the "example analogy" was misunderstood. I AM GIVING THE OP AN IDEA OF THE DISTANCE FACTOR and what the situation would be like if OP was still in NY, HOW PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN CONNECTICUT HAVE TO DRIVE TO MANHATTAN for events and "city stuff". How the woodlands is like a far out suburb from Houston central, similar to what connecticut would be to NYC's core, aka Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 04:44 PM

811 posts, read 1,556,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkflyers View Post
If being close to friends and family is important then live by them - and if work is up the TW too -then definitely consider the TW/Spring/Tomball area.

As like most major cities location is everything and if those things are what is bringing you here - you will want to be close to them. If you live 45+ away from your family you more than likely won't get to see them as much as you'd like.

And the same goes for the amenities - your options will change but will it be so bad? That's what you'll have to consider. So you still might make it downtown once a year to see the Nutcracker at Christmas time - and it could become an annual family tradition! There aren't any Uchi's or Oxheart's in the burbs - but everyone doesn't value world class restaurants..Just like people in the loop might not value more land more space that the burbs has...

I grew up in TW and loved it. I lived in the loop (Upper Kirby) and loved livingthere as well. And when it came time to buy we bought in the burbs (Champion Forest) and love it. All of those places were perfectly right for me at the right time in my life and that's what you'll need to determine for you and your family.
Good post!

Old 11-20-2014, 05:51 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan View Post
wow. i think the "example analogy" was misunderstood. I AM GIVING THE OP AN IDEA OF THE DISTANCE FACTOR and what the situation would be like if OP was still in NY, HOW PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN CONNECTICUT HAVE TO DRIVE TO MANHATTAN for events and "city stuff". How the woodlands is like a far out suburb from Houston central, similar to what connecticut would be to NYC's core, aka Manhattan.
Well depending upon where in Connecticut, there are commuter trains into Manhattan. New Jersey would be even more realistic, but you are right TW means driving in.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:06 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,911,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Well depending upon where in Connecticut, there are commuter trains into Manhattan. New Jersey would be even more realistic, but you are right TW means driving in.
But you may never need to. And in the trending analogy, Houston itself would be New Jersey.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:53 AM

5 posts, read 16,746 times
Thank you so much everyone, very helpful!!

Old 11-21-2014, 10:38 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donblackie View Post
Pedro, I've read your post and more often than not finding myself agreeing with your thoughts. This one I will disagree....but am open to be wrong because I don't live in the woodlands....I do spend some time out there as I have clients.

The quality of restaurant choice is no where close to what you get in the woodlands vs the core of the city.
houston is a city that is well known for its great quality food and diversity. I'm sorry but you won't experience that for the most part in the woodlands.
To be fair, I did say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
There are plenty of good restaurants in TW.
You're definitely correct that you'll get much more variety and in most cases higher quality ITL than you will in TW. I won't even try to pretend they match up. But I will say, you can eat a lot of nice meals in TW.

I don't live in TW, but I do live out in the burbs. I like to take trips into the city for a nice restaurant from time to time, but I definitely won't choose where I live based upon that once a month "outstanding" dinner. I can drive on in on a Friday or Saturday for that.

It could also be an age thing as well. Approaching 50, I have less desire to go out to restaurants than when I was in my 30's. Now days, what I really love is having people over, cooking and drinking and hanging out at the house. It's one of the reasons I doubled my budget on the pool and outdoor kitchen.

Houston, specifically ITL, gets major props in terms of food.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:54 AM

254 posts, read 464,517 times
OP, I would repeat what many have stated: If the job is in the Woodlands, I would look in the Woodlands.
I'm an advocate for 77379 since I grew up in that zip code. Technically it's Spring, but really you are in the Klein school district, which is family friendly and excellent. Close to Tomball and the Woodlands.

Good luck!

Old 04-07-2015, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,344 times
I want to move to the area from Long Beach CA because of schools

Old 04-10-2015, 12:36 PM

42 posts, read 100,990 times
I worked in The Woodlands for 11 months and during that time I tried nearly all the restaurant options that I would have wanted to try if I lived there. The food selection and variety in Houston on the high end is much more desirable then The Woodlands. Sorry!

Old 04-10-2015, 01:36 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLbound2014 View Post
Hi! My husband and I are possibly thinking of relocating to North Houston from NY. We know people in The Woodlands and others in Tomball. We are looking to buy a home and start a family. Unfortunately NY is too expensive with real estate costs and taxes. The North Houston area seems ideal for raising a family. We have a job offer in the Woodlands and are currently considering accepting. Could you please tell us positives and negatives for the area? Also, aside from The Woodlands what other areas are within close proximity, great schools and homes.Any insight from others who have relocated would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much!
Lisa
Champions Forest and parts of Spring are cheaper than TW but nice enough. If at all possible however I would just live in TW. Parts of Spring are very sketchy so make sure you know the area well before buying.

Since you didn't say much about where you're moving from or your preferences it's hard to be specific about pros and cons. I guess the main pros in TW would be good schools, nice houses and safe neighborhoods. The grocery and other shopping options are also better in TW than other Houston suburbs.

The cons would be you're far away from the culture and food of Houston. North Houston in general have few affordable and high quality suburbs. Most of the area between TW and DT Houston are ghettos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston