Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 07:32 AM

58 posts, read 68,506 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a 1 bedroom apartment in the clear lake area(preferably league city, webster, friendswood area) but I just can't find anything with the amenities that I want at an acceptable price range. I don't understand why all these crummy ass apartments are so overpriced. All I want is a washer/drier IN the unit, gated community, an oven with a timer(you'd be surprised how rare this is even amongst apartments labeled as "luxury"), comcast, and a property that is safe and not a freakin' ghetto. All of that sounds basic but you'd be surprised how many places don't have all of that together.

It just seems like most of the properties in the "greater" League City-Clear Lake area either fall into one or the other extreme, being cheap and ghetto or being overpriced and mildly alright. And then if you check apartmentratings.com most of the places barely have good reviews.

I'm really trying to stay under 800 for the rent alone because I only make about 47k a year and am trying to save for a house. I have 450 taken out a month for a 403b and depending on how much extra cash for the month I have I put another 416~ into a roth so that I make sure I meet my yearly contribution limit for it.

Can anyone make some suggestions from maybe like some places they've stayed? I really liked Riverbend in League City but they don't have washer and driers in the units only the connections.

Thanks for any insight and advice.

Last edited by dajinn; 11-20-2014 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 07:34 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,771,203 times
You could always buy or rent some then. Better to have the place you like and deal with the slight hassle of coming up with your own washer and dryer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajinn View Post
Hi all,

Can anyone make some suggestions from maybe like some places they've stayed? I really liked Riverbend in League City but they don't have washer and driers in the units only the connections.

Thanks for any insight and advice.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
You could always buy or rent some then. Better to have the place you like and deal with the slight hassle of coming up with your own washer and dryer.
Yeah I've considered it. I'm just not sure renting appliances is smart when I'll want to own my own eventually as a homeowner. And also, the place I like forces you into a 25 dollar valet trash fee that they SAY you can't opt out of. I know i'm nitpicking at small things like that but money grubbing tactics and things like that just leave a bad taste in my mouth for some reason. I mean I don't have polio, it's not above me to walk my own trash to the dumpster and I don't mind it anyway since I don't really have much trash on me at any given time.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:03 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Well there isn't much ghetto at all in the areas you want. You either have older complexes which are in your range and may lack some of the things you desire or newer, luxury complexes that are higher than you want to pay. Rarely will an apt include your Comcast. Just look at the ones you find in your range and go with the best one you can find.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:57 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,774,287 times
So go buy a washer and dryer...

Old 11-20-2014, 09:01 AM

don't most houses sell with those already included? it just seems redundant to have to buy something i'll inevitably have to sell later and who knows how long i'll be sitting on 2 pairs of washer/dryer... i mean i'm all for the idea i just like to approach things as sensibly as possible.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:03 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,774,287 times
No. Unless you buy a lennar home or opt for the appliance pacakge you won't get a washer and dryer.

We had to buy a fridge since most houses don't come with those either.

Easier to sell on craigslist later than gripe and try to find a place that has them now.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:22 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
$800+ was about middle of the road for Clear Lake apartments 10 years ago. Meaning for about $850 (I used to live in South Shore Lakes apts) got you a nice, non-luxury apartment where you didn't have to watch your back. And that was without Comcast. Fast forward 10 years and I am sure the average price for a decent apartment has gone up considerably. Try renting a room in a house. It can be a lot cheaper and a lot less hassle, but that also has it's own list of potential perils. If you are an employee for JSC or a JSC related company, there used to be a swap shop website where engineers sometimes listed rooms for rent and it was about 1/2 the rate for an apartment. Otherwise there's Craigslist. Just be careful with Craigslist.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
$800+ was about middle of the road for Clear Lake apartments 10 years ago. Meaning for about $850 (I used to live in South Shore Lakes apts) got you a nice, non-luxury apartment where you didn't have to watch your back. And that was without Comcast. Fast forward 10 years and I am sure the average price for a decent apartment has gone up considerably. Try renting a room in a house. It can be a lot cheaper and a lot less hassle, but that also has it's own list of potential perils.
Haha yeah, I've rented a room in a house before, and honestly, i'm never having roommates again unless its my best friend who can't seem to get off his ass and find anything that doesn't pay more than 9 dollars an hour. I rented a room from some people in league city at their house and knives were being pointed in one occasion. Never again.

Funny you mention the SS Lakes apartments, I used to live there as well, but 800 is way too much for what they offer. Insanely basic appliances, the oven doesn't even have a time, drier with only one heat setting, no ceiling fans and the bedrooms don't have have lamps all they have are wall switches that control power to a outlet. THAT'S what i'm talking about as being overpriced.

Maybe i'll just use the laundromat until I score a deal on a washer/dryer then. I mean black friday is right around the corner. I don't need anything fancy just something with more than one heat setting so I don't cook my clothes...

Last edited by dajinn; 11-20-2014 at 09:33 AM..

Old 11-20-2014, 09:40 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
It's not overpriced in today's market. For 800, you aren't going to get more than basic. You're looking for modern luxury at an older, basic price. The Houston area is no longer cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston