Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 04:57 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmwind1 View Post
Houston's New York/Manhattan area
Is this some part of the city I've never seen?

Also, where do you propose all this stuff goes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 05:57 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmwind1 View Post
If Midtown ...and downtown are ever to truly attract a 24-7 population and become places for local tourism, not to mention visiting out of town tourism, the issue of homelessness and food pantries/ food distribution centers in midtown and downtown ...must ...be relocated away from these urban areas. The need for providing for the homeless can still be met and must be met but not in the urban cores of Houston where it is essential for businesses/office/retail and residential to thrive. Locate these areas in the warehouse districts and give them police protection and a bus ride to the center city, but relocate the pantries, halfway houses and shelters. There's no purpose in street people/homeless living in the center of town. Houston's New York/Manhattan area extends from downtown to NRG stadium/convention center and is approximately 7miles long by 1 mile wide, half the territorial size of Manhattan. It is our most urban core and has the most possiblity and potential of developing as a consecutively developed block by block urban area....but it will never see this development as a complete , safe and non hostile area for pedestrian traffic unless the area is cleaned up. This means the areas where homeless, vagrants and street people ...read thugs.... must be relocated. The Greyhound bus terminal must also be relocated away from the midtown area, connected by metro bus service but relocated. At night, the streets belong to drug dealers and prostitutes and thugs and one cannot walk the streets unless you are wanting to be approached, hassled at least, assaulted at worst , by some wandering street person. Try walking by a homeless food pantry , if you're middle class and white, you won't be allowed to pass thru unless you are harassed and made to respond or acquiesce to verbal questioning and or verbal demands and haranguing . This is unlawful harassment to me and should not be tolerated but I have encountered this almost every time I start walking around downtown. I would never purposefully put myself in physical danger in midtown , east of the train stations. How can an area develop sustained retail business when the street people are the main demographic in the area and control the streets? I have been hoping for our midtown area to resemble that of Atlanta's and for our downtown skyline to flow into midtown into the museum district, and medical center where we can truly have a city, but it won't happen unless the city council is pushed to clean up and relocate these shelters and havens for the homeless and vagrants.
Maybe we can give the bums a one way ticket out of town like they do in Hawaii, San Francisco, and New York.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:10 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Maybe we can give the bums a one way ticket out of town like they do in Hawaii, San Francisco, and New York.
There are more of them on Market Street in San Francisco alone than in the whole of downtown Houston. The main difference is you have little else as far as a pedestrian scene in Houston, which gives the idea that it's overrun with the homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: