Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2014, 08:55 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,348,610 times

Advertisements

HI,

I have an elderly relative who needs to be using a cane all the time (if not a walker!) and I suspect
the one she has is just not the right size...someone gave it to her. She is still a bit resistant to the whole idea that she needs to use one.

I have spent a good amount of time online doing a little research and the options are overwhelming...different handles, wood or metal, cut to size or adjustable, tips...
I'd really prefer to take her someplace that has a lot of canes displayed that can be tried on, so to speak, with knowledgeable assistance. One I am looking at online is $70+ so I would want to be sure she'll be happy with it...it has to be cut to size. I got her what I thought was a fabulous find at a resale shop -- mint condition, adjustable metal, soft-grip handle, 4-pronged tip base... she said it was "wobbly" and won't use it. I think there is a bit of a learning curve with any cane but she doesn't like it. Of course if I "insist" she give it a fair try out and she trips or falls, it wil be _my fault._ (If you haven't picked up on how frustrating it can be to deal with her, you have now.)

Any suggestions welcome! Supposedly her doctor's office was looking into having her get some physical therapy to strengthen her leg muscles (or so I presume...she wears a calf brace on one leg) and she has fallen 3 times at least this year at home)
but they are not super-responsive and her insurance apparently is always a problem. (Texan Plus HMO).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 10:53 AM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Check medical supply stores:
Google
you can often find walkers at Goodwill or thrift stores.
Several are on sale at Craigslist:
houston health and beauty - by owner "walker" - craigslist
Here are other options:
http://www.1800wheelchair.com/category/rolling-walkers/

Good luck!

Old 11-22-2014, 02:00 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,833,257 times
Check at Walmart as well. I noticed they've been stocking more medical equipments at the pharmacy/drugs area.

Medical suppliers would have more choices and can even order if they don't have it in stock.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:04 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Medical supply stores fit the bill. One is off tc jester by Hughies.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:28 AM

80 posts, read 138,711 times
The best thing would be to get the order for PT, take all the canes that you bought and bring them into her first pt appt.
Keep calling the md office, leave message for md's nurse to get the order
May want to see if she can get an. Order for home health safety eval
Is she tripping on rugs, how is the lighting in her house?

You are great for trying to help her .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: