Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 07:51 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
K. But this doesn't happen..at ALL...where I live the other half of the time.

-Native Houstonian
Are you comparing Western NC to the forth largest city in America? Sure hope not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 07:52 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Your stats don't mean much to me. I know I didn't make a false statement. I'm a native houstonian and I know what changes I've seen and it makes me sad to see the change in crime in my city. We've always had crime, no city doesn't - but ours has worsened over the recent years.
Perception is not always reality. Just because it seems like things have gotten worse doesn't mean they have. It isn't like he made those numbers up.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:18 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Your stats don't mean much to me. I know I didn't make a false statement. I'm a native houstonian and I know what changes I've seen and it makes me sad to see the change in crime in my city. We've always had crime, no city doesn't - but ours has worsened over the recent years.
I'm a native Houstonian as well. Can you give me facts that state otherwise?

Perhaps your area is worse than before, but many other areas are better than they were a few years ago.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:33 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Sorry I don't deal with stats and numbers to make a decision I can see for myself, only the reality in what I see and feel. Sort of like school rankings - numbers in lists don't always match up with reality. It's not like "gee this isn't happening because a stat says it's not. I am safer than I've been in five years because this paper says so." It's often a topic among coworkers so I know I'm not alone in seeing a change for the worse in the greater area. Numbers and stats are very important in certain things but this is one area I don't need them. By the way you do know that media is skewed to gives things the slant of its parent company or by those who are its bread and butter - particularly the chronicle and local tv stations. Back in the Enron days - ken lay received less bad press in Houston than areas outside of Houston due to the charitable contributions he made to the city and its media. So doesn't mean he didn't do all those things but our coverage was much less. Just like cnn and fix skew news to the political leanings of the parent company. But back to the op - watch your deliveries because this stuff dies worsen during the holidays as thieves know that there is so much more accessibility to packages this time of year. Sometimes I wish you still had to sign for deliveries but then there's the hassle of having to go pick it up if you aren't home.

Last edited by texas7; 11-26-2014 at 06:49 AM..

Old 11-26-2014, 08:42 AM

254 posts, read 464,342 times
New Plan:
1. Order item from Best Buy online. Make sure to have UPS delivery.
2. Purchase ninja costumes.
3. Purchase beers.
4. Invite friends over.
5. Drink.
6. Wait.
7. When UPS knocks, everyone gets into place.
8. Watch some idiot try to steal my stuff.
9. Go all ninja on his ash.
10. Win.
11. Drink more beers.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:03 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Perhaps you should build a fence or do something that obscures the view of your front porch from the street. They wont steal what they cannot see...
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Buck View Post
New Plan:
1. Order item from Best Buy online. Make sure to have UPS delivery.
2. Purchase ninja costumes.
3. Purchase beers.
4. Invite friends over.
5. Drink.
6. Wait.
7. When UPS knocks, everyone gets into place.
8. Watch some idiot try to steal my stuff.
9. Go all ninja on his ash.
10. Win.
11. Drink more beers.
Or you could just get your packages delivered to your job like I do.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:44 AM

254 posts, read 464,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Or you could just get your packages delivered to your job like I do.
But they won't let me and my buddies wear ninja costumes at work!!!

Old 11-26-2014, 10:54 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Also be alert for the crimes of opportunity. Like leaving your garage door open while you run inside for only a couple of minutes - stuff can turn up missing when you do this. People following those delivery trucks also like it when you do this.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:01 PM

836 posts, read 1,119,079 times
Local 2 news listed the top five malls for the most calls to police. This is a year's worth of police calls for service including theft, shoplifting, burglaries, car break ins, forgeries, trespassing, disturbances, stolen cars, etc.

1. Woodlands mall 461 calls for service
2. Katy Mills 308 calls
3. Galleria 215 calls
4. Centre at Post Oak 195 calls
5. Greenspoint Mall 180 calls

Who would have thought Greenspoint was number 5?

Old 11-26-2014, 01:52 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,932,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
Local 2 news listed the top five malls for the most calls to police. This is a year's worth of police calls for service including theft, shoplifting, burglaries, car break ins, forgeries, trespassing, disturbances, stolen cars, etc.

1. Woodlands mall 461 calls for service
2. Katy Mills 308 calls
3. Galleria 215 calls
4. Centre at Post Oak 195 calls
5. Greenspoint Mall 180 calls

Who would have thought Greenspoint was number 5?
To be ranked high in these crimes for this scale you actually have to have a high number of visitors to the mall. Notice that the story didn't do it on a per-capita (per-visitor) basis? Might come out differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston