Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2014, 08:47 AM

3 posts, read 4,199 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are trying to decide on a good elementary private school for my daughter in Houston. She currently attends a Montessori and will be entering grade 1 in Aug.2015.
We toured Yorkshire Academy (memorial region) and liked it. But I'm wondering if anyone cam recommend any other schools? I heard of Grace school (located on Ella lee Lane, Houston) but have not seen it yet.
I'm aware go Awty, Kinkaid, but the tuition is more than we would like to pay.
Anyones children's attending Yorkshire/Grace ? Any suggestions. (We are in the energy corridor in Houston)

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 10:24 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,131,808 times
Yorkshire is a great school, if it's also convenient, go for it.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:52 AM
ptt

497 posts, read 637,153 times
Yorkshire is a great school.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:31 PM

150 posts, read 218,289 times
The village school
John Paul II
St. Cecelia
Holy Spirit Episcopal

Old 12-01-2014, 10:46 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,147 times
LOVE Grace!

Old 12-01-2014, 11:18 AM

509 posts, read 735,382 times
Grace is a decent school, but not all that inexpensive. They send a lot of kids on to Houston Christian HS.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:49 PM

19 posts, read 49,078 times
Grace is the most well-organized school I've seen. Our DC has attended schools in two countries abroad and we are blown away by Grace's Lower School.

1.) The student body is diverse (economic, cultural, race, religious), kind, polite, positive/passionate about learning; and open to newcomers.

2.) The elem curriculum is above-average and inclusive of real life lessons, like teamwork, project management, leadership, community service, health, money-management, and ethics. Also the specialty classes are not just fluff: tech classes cover keyboarding, coding, audio/visual technologies, internet research, etc. The art and music programs delve deep into practice and theory and give students plenty of opportunity to show their work display their work outside of the school walls.

3.) The staff is cheerful, helpful and highly professional. They really think of everything. School events are well executed.

4.) The teachers honestly love children. The pastoral care at Grace is second to none. At Grace, they want your child to succeed. And will go above and beyond to be sure that your DC grasps the material.

5.) Homework is manageable. No homework on weekends. Plenty of tutoring sessions before and after school. subscription-based online resources are made available to all families (at no additional cost).

6.) The parent-school & parent-teacher communication is comprehensive: class blogs, FaceBook, Twitter, email blasts, website parent portal, newsletters, responsive 1x1 teacher email correspondence, Friday folders, etc. As a Grace parent, you will always know what is going on at your child's school.

7.) My DC are not sporty. But the sports program seems to be pretty comprehensive. Both competitive sports and lifestyle sports are promoted.

8.) The kids honestly love this school. My DC is in upper elementary and missing a day of school at Grace is like a day without sunshine.

I cannot say enough positive things about Grace School. It's just stellar. However, I will say that Grace's after-care program could use improvement. And that many of the parents are only surface-friendly to newcomers.

Last edited by VanCamps; 12-28-2014 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-24-2015, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 4,199 times
Thank you all for your views !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston