Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 08:51 PM

4 posts, read 5,876 times

Advertisements

My family is going to move to Houston in March/April 2015. My husband's place of work will be off 290 on Huffmeister Road. This is the Cypress area. I don't have a job yet and wont be looking for one until I move to Houston. We are looking for a place to live which has a diverse population (not just white) that has very good elementary schools. Ideally I prefer schools offering the Magnet/Vanguard/gifted talented programs. School is very important criteria. We are considering The Woodlands, Cypress, Tomball but leaning towards The Woodlands since Conroe ISD has some good schools. I have the following questions:

1. Which areas in NW Houston would you suggest that have a diverse population with more Asian/Indians?
2. Which schools in these areas offer gifted/talented programs?
3. We prefer to live within a community which has shared facilities such as tennis courts, pool, playgrounds. We also enjoy going to restaurants, cafes, bars and would like to have them in close vicinity. Am I asking for too much? Any suggestions within the above boundaries?
4. What is the average commute time from The Woodlands to Cypress?
5. What is the average commute time from Cypress or The Woodlands to downtown Houston? (assuming I may work there)

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 09:07 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,158,249 times
Your husband's job is in the Cy-Fair school district, which is a good one. There is no need to have him make that horrible commute from The Woodlands (maybe an hour, longer in heavy traffic). Most of the time we cannot refer Cypress, because the commute to Downtown is the worst from Cypress (because we outgrew 290 a long time ago) - but you are right there. It won't be that difficult to find a job in that area. What is it that you do?

Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District :: Home

#3 is good.

The heaviest concentration of Asian/Indian population is in Sugar Land - in the far SW. However, Houston overall is diverse.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:03 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,010,149 times
My fiancee and I spent the first year of our relationship with one of us living in Cypress and the other in the Woodlands. It was absolutely miserable trying to get from one side to the other, no matter what route you took. AT BEST, you are looking at 45 minutes with NO traffic to get from one to the other. And that's knowing every side road and what backs up and the traffic patterns. Thankfully we are no longer in that situation as of this summer, as I don't know how much more of it either of us could take. It's horrible, and I implore you to think long and hard about trying to do a Woodlands to Cypress to Woodlands commute.

99 will help alleviate some of that with a more direct route, but you are still going pretty far backwards to come up to Huffmeister. The drive from 99 to Highway 6 (one exit past Huffmeister) is the most miserable part of 290 during the commute.

Cliffnotes: Living in the Woodlands and commuting to Cypress daily is a bad, bad, bad idea.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:59 AM

77 posts, read 95,652 times
Wortham in zip code 77065 is a nice neighborhood with 15-20 year old houses very close by your husband's work; I know several Indian families who live there and the neighborhood itself is very nice. Cypress in general is on an upswing right now; 290 is being expanded and there is a lot of investment in the area with the new MPC's near the Grand Parkway being built. Woodlands might be more refined but it is also farther from the city and its western suburbs, which generally tends to be where people want to go.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:30 AM

23,841 posts, read 14,963,353 times
The Wortham neighborhoods are great. You will find your demographic wants plus plenty others, too. An Indian grocer has just opened on 1960 around Champions, so I suspect the market is here.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:32 PM

Thank you all for the quick replies. I really appreciate you taking the time and effort.

Looks like Woodlands will be a painful commute. I will definitely take a look at Wortham.

Any opinions on Bridgeland? Also, should we consider Tomball?

Old 12-06-2014, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,586 times
Don't overlook the Tomball area. We ended up purchasing a new build in Northpointe (South of Tomball). It's on the "edge" of the country, but close enough to everything we need. Your husband could take the back roads (Shaw or Telge) to get to work and would only take 15-20 minutes.

We just moved down here from Virginia and Tomball ISD was the selling point for us. Great schools and I'm very happy so far with our kindergartners experience. Our 19 year old son had a much different experience as we lived in a "rougher" neighborhood in Virginia. I think his HS had a "4" rating on greatschools.org & every school in my daughters current pyramid has a 9 or 10.

We are also sensitive to diversty as my wife is Asian & I am Caucasian. I wanted a community where our daughter could flourish & I think this is it for us.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:22 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,158,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movertobe View Post
Thank you all for the quick replies. I really appreciate you taking the time and effort.

Looks like Woodlands will be a painful commute. I will definitely take a look at Wortham.

Any opinions on Bridgeland? Also, should we consider Tomball?
Love Bridgeland - it's beautiful - but prices have been rising. What is the budget? HOA runs almost $100 monthly, because of the amenities.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:50 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,977,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va2Hstn View Post
Don't overlook the Tomball area. We ended up purchasing a new build in Northpointe (South of Tomball). It's on the "edge" of the country, but close enough to everything we need. Your husband could take the back roads (Shaw or Telge) to get to work and would only take 15-20 minutes.

We just moved down here from Virginia and Tomball ISD was the selling point for us. Great schools and I'm very happy so far with our kindergartners experience. Our 19 year old son had a much different experience as we lived in a "rougher" neighborhood in Virginia. I think his HS had a "4" rating on greatschools.org & every school in my daughters current pyramid has a 9 or 10.

We are also sensitive to diversty as my wife is Asian & I am Caucasian. I wanted a community where our daughter could flourish & I think this is it for us.
Tomball ISD isn't super diverse so OPs children will most likely be the lone Asian or Indian child in the room. Maybe not the school which numbers wise tend to show 60-80 Asians and with that being scattered among K-5 that's pretty sad wit 500-800 total students.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:05 PM

Default Commute time

hi,
I have been seeing some great responses. Another area I am considering are the Bunker Hill Village which is close to 10 and Sam Houston Parkway. Really good schools there and closer to the city. However, what will the commute time be to Huffmeister Road ( off 290)

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston