Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 08:03 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
If you find that you're tight for money or realize that you want to work and take care of your kids. I'm not sure what you do in the hospital, but maybe you can find a PRN position (which is common for medical positions).

What Is a PRN Employee?

I remember in elementary school, my mom (a nurse) did night-weekends only (Fri. 7p-7a and Sat. 7p-7a). She says was $35/hr. and she got paid for 36 hours instead of 24, which would be $65,520.00. The thing is, she had to work EVERY weekend. My dad would take us out on Friday & Saturday nights. We had to be quit during the day on Saturday so that she could sleep. Honestly, this was the happiest time of my life because my mom was there for us during the week. And we got to hang out with our dad on the weekends.

If you want to be available on weekends, then find one that does it during the week.
My neighbor did this until her kids were older. She loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 08:06 AM

5 posts, read 9,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Depends where are you living. Are you in Houston?
yes I live down in the Clear lake area down in Webster. I see many many moms in the stores that I can tell they are SAHM. They drive these large vehichles with only one or two small children. How do they afford that type of car and a large house while staying at home? I want that lifestyle which is why I made this thread

Old 12-05-2014, 08:11 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMom03 View Post
yes I live down in the Clear lake area down in Webster. I see many many moms in the stores that I can tell they are SAHM. They drive these large vehichles with only one or two small children. How do they afford that type of car and a large house while staying at home? I want that lifestyle which is why I made this thread
Their husbands could make a lot of money. Or they could be in debt. Or they could have a trust fund. Who knows? Many reasons.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:19 AM

693 posts, read 1,107,891 times
Quote:
LOL kudos to you for admitting that you're jealous and materialistic. It is refreshing to see a woman who is honest about being a money grubber! (though this smells like trolling)

If I was married to a woman like you I would divorce you... but not before blowing all money and becoming a pauper to keep you from getting a financial settlement.

Geez, what ever happened to being humble and thankful for what you have? For that matter, what ever happened to taking personal responsibility for the situation you're currently in?

Old 12-05-2014, 08:48 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,831 times
Quote:
They drive these large vehichles with only one or two small children. How do they afford that type of car and a large house while staying at home?
you can lease or buy anything on payments if you have decent credit. What is so surprising about it?

Old 12-05-2014, 08:49 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,131,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
LOL kudos to you for admitting that you're jealous and materialistic. It is refreshing to see a woman who is honest about being a money grubber! (though this smells like trolling)
Agreed!

Old 12-05-2014, 08:52 AM

455 posts, read 525,209 times
Quote:
Actually, your question was just about how much people felt a spouse should make in order for someone to stay at home with the kids (and live comfortably, i assume). The answer to your other question -- how much does the spouse need to make in order to have a big vehicle and a big house -- isn't rocket science. More money. Assuming you are also saving for retirement and for activities/vacations, i would say at least twice your husband's salary.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:58 AM

211 posts, read 289,768 times
OP - Currently, you and your husband combined make a salary of $130K. You can't even come close to affording a GMC Yukon, let alone a Yukon XL at that income level. How would buying a vehicle like be even possible when you guys are on a single income and make only 70K? AND have a kid or two?

In the past 4 years or so, I've gotten significant increases in my salary and my wife did do. We also got some side business ventures that provide some decent cash flow. My 10 year old Mazda broke down a year ago and we lived on one car for 8 months. Now that we have a baby on the way, I bought a Toyota 4runner. And we make significantly more. Even if we have 2 kids, that vehicle should provide the utility necessary to haul them around for several years. Why would you need such a large car again? Be smart, when your kids are bigger, THAT's when it may make sense for a larger vehicle, not when they weigh 30 lbs.

Based on your question and comments, I really hope you're trolling.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:37 AM

833 posts, read 1,886,305 times
Simply live on one income for next 6 months with putting your income away in a saving account. If you can do it for the 6 months then you should be able to pull it off. As other as stated it does not matter actual income but what is your lifestyle. Some people can live on 50k while others need 200k to pay their bills and all their wants and needs. Only thing I would say if I was in this situation is I would want zero dept and 6 month of a full emergency fund with the proper income level that I can provide the needs for my children.

Being a stay at home mom can be a great benefit for the family but I personally think it 10 times more than a full time job as the household responsibilities then all fall on the mom instead of split between two parents. A clean home, laundry, all the errands, making every meal, and constant attention children need. It takes a unique person to be a domestic engineer.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:45 AM

914 posts, read 1,832,919 times
A lot of the people you see driving the flashy cars could be leasing the cars, in debt up to their eyeballs, with no money saved. All hat and no cattle as they say in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston