Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 04:57 PM

23 posts, read 160,697 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are thinking of purchasing a house in the Katy area for around $250,000-$300,000. We are having our first meeting with a sales representative next week and we will have our buyers agent with us. I have a few questions I'm very curious about though and can't wait til then, lol.

I noticed that their standard features are already nice (Granite counter tops, stainless steel appliances...etc). My question is, do you have control over these standard features, such as the color of the granite, kitchen cabinets, or tile? or would those be upgrades? If they are upgrades, what would be the price range?

Another question is, how hard is it to get them to reduce the sale price? If that's possible, how much do you think is doable? 5k, 10k? I know a few years ago that would've been easy, not sure about now since the economy is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 05:26 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,019,330 times
They won't reduce the sales price from what you see as the base price (nor should they as it would affect other home values), but you can probably get an extra 5-10k in incentive money if you negotiate hard enough. Maybe even lot premiums eliminated this time of the year. When I looked at Perry last year, there were a slim number of choices as standard, but more as you went up in upgrade level. Unfortunately I deleted all my Perry upgrade lists as I ultimately went with another builder, but prices were in line with the others I was comparing.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:50 PM

7 posts, read 18,505 times
Hey sfe11,

We too are looking for homes in Katy area around 275K. Just wondering which property/sub-division you were able to find Perry home within 300K. Most of their homes we saw were much more than 300k.

Sorry to hijack your thread

Thanks,
Aamir

Old 12-09-2014, 05:59 PM

Thanks Haudi, it's good to know that there are a few options for standard. We will do our best to negotiate on extras.

Aamir, I was looking at Firethorne 50' and the homes start out at around 260-270k. We found it on the Perry homes websites.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:02 PM

7 posts, read 18,505 times
Thanks sfe11 for your prompt reply.

Just an FYI.. we are looking at Silver Ranch, Cross Creek Ranch, Churchill Farms and Cardiff Ranch and homes there are between 250K and 300K
Just thought i'll let you know

Thanks

Old 12-09-2014, 06:06 PM

Thanks Aamir! I appreciate it. I haven't even heard of any of those except Cross Creek Ranch, lol.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:26 AM

39 posts, read 78,365 times
I recently bought a new construction in Aliana and last week we went to the design center. I don't have any experience with other builders' design centers, but the one of Perry Homes is just average. I agree that they have good options in standard features,however, the range is almost nothing. You will have 6 granite options to select in standard and another 20 in the upgrades and that's about it. You won't have options to choose between a second standard option vs the first in many other cases. As a first time home buyer, I was not convinced by the lack of standard options from a big builder like Perry. You may want to spend more than the incentive given if you don't like the standard features.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:41 AM

203 posts, read 337,216 times
More than likely those standards features (granite, tile) will be the ones you don't like and will have to upgrade. I do recommend upgrading the tile (I think the standard one is 12x12) to 18x18 and also have it done in the living room area.

The main areas to upgrade will be the granite, tile, kitchen cabinets and lighting.

I bought Perry last year and I upgraded tile, granite, kitchen cabinets, added lighting, pre-wire the whole house including outdoor patio, master bath.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:20 AM

833 posts, read 1,885,568 times
Perry's standard features are pretty decent and we love our Perry home. Things to consider upgrade are always structure items like cabinets, lighting and tile in the wet area as title is expensive to have removed. If you want wood floors wait till after you close and just have base carpet put in as most builders are way over priced on wood floors. Think about things like electrical outlets, I even know someone that put switched outlets in the eves outside so they can put Christmas lights up with no extension cords. Don't forget the little things that can add up real quick after you close such as blinds and garage door opener.

Remember any upgrades you pay for that are being put in your loan you will be paying major interest on them over the years. As far a discount I bought my home 3.5 years ago when the market was soft and even with upgrades we where well below base price. The market is much hotter now however this is the slowest time of year for home building. As other mentioned have them put in allowance for upgrades.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:27 PM

Thank you all for such good answers! Hopefully they will give us good discounts for the upgrades. I also would like to have a bigger shower in the master bath even if that means I have to sacrifice the bathtub. Not sure how doable that is with Perry homes but I've seen other builders that do that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: