Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 06:11 PM

9 posts, read 9,705 times

Advertisements

Hello we are relocating to Houston and we are researching cities such as Katy, Humble, Cypress, Willowbrook, Pearland and Sugar Land. And what are the best hospitals to work for. Any advice and tips are greatly appreciated regarding these cities

Last edited by SMHATCHETT; 12-10-2014 at 07:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 06:28 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times
Budget? Kids in school? Where are you working?

Old 12-10-2014, 06:38 PM

We will be renting the first year. 4 bedrooms, not over 2K a month. 2 kids age 7 and 14. My husband field is process technician and I am in healthcare management

Old 12-11-2014, 06:04 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,129,693 times
I think you misunderstood, where in Houston will you be working? You gotta get the commute right or it will be h*ll!

Old 12-11-2014, 06:15 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,770,875 times
I would look at Texas Children's hospital or Memorial Hermann to work for.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:12 PM

Thank you, I really appreciate you responding. I guess it is really hard to decide because we don't yet. I don't plan on working right away when we get there. He will be applying to the oil companies etc. We definitely want quiet family oriented areas but not to overcrowded with kids. We are really diverse in thr things we like to do. From what I hear we will have a c ommute to work regardless. I guess what I need are the pros and cons of those cities. We would like to live in a diverse nice area. We are coming there in April to scout out a few areas but I would atleast like to have a starting point.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:57 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHATCHETT View Post
Thank you, I really appreciate you responding. I guess it is really hard to decide because we don't yet. I don't plan on working right away when we get there. He will be applying to the oil companies etc. We definitely want quiet family oriented areas but not to overcrowded with kids. We are really diverse in thr things we like to do. From what I hear we will have a c ommute to work regardless. I guess what I need are the pros and cons of those cities. We would like to live in a diverse nice area. We are coming there in April to scout out a few areas but I would atleast like to have a starting point.
Don't move here until your husband has secured a job. Oil companies aren't exactly hiring right now.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:24 AM

Yes of course we will not be moving until that happens. All we were looking for was a little insight on those areas I named. We will be visiting in April so we were just hoping to get a little input before we get to Houston. Maybe I worded my question wrong because I definitely have not gotten any answers and I was referred to this forum for help. Maybe I should create another thread and ask differently.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:23 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
Well your question might be a little to broad. It would be a waste of time to look at Katy if your husband ends up with a job on the east side as it makes no sense to commute that far. There are nice places to live all around Houston so best to find a work location first then narrow down where you might want to live.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:19 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Well your question might be a little to broad. It would be a waste of time to look at Katy if your husband ends up with a job on the east side as it makes no sense to commute that far. There are nice places to live all around Houston so best to find a work location first then narrow down where you might want to live.
Very true. Unless you already have close family or friends in a particular area of Houston, it makes more sense to live closer to your work. Even though we like the NW part of town (we are close by the Willowbrook Mall area, which is just an area, not a city or town or anything special), if I changed jobs and ended up over 25-30 miles from home, I would seriously consider moving closer. I do not want a commute longer than an hour if possible, and living on the opposite side of the city from work guarantees a long commute during rush hour.

As for hospitals, of course there is the medical center area, but most of the "better" hospitals (Methodist, St Lukes, Memorial Herman, Texas Childrens) are building or have satellite locations all around Houston. So there are many places that will be close to your home for employment. And even if you end up in the med center, at least it is centrally located from all of the areas.

Good luck in your job search and move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston