Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 07:47 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,959 times

Advertisements

Generally, no, and it's not zipcode based is school zone based. Therefore the value of property in Houston is tied to location AND the perception of the zoned public schools.

Here's a handy cheat sheet for SBISD schools.

http://cms.springbranchisd.com/maps/...9/Default.aspx

Basically, in terms of resale value, houses zoned to schools that feed into Stratford or Memorial are worth more than those that aren't. Then, anything south of the I-10 is generally more desirable than north.

Individual school zoning maps here:

http://cms.springbranchisd.com/maps/...7/Default.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 10:18 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,439,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawtucketpatriot View Post
What do folks think about areas inside or just outside the loop. From my research (I'm considering a move), Bellaire and West U will be fine regardless, but what about Meyerland, Westbury, Willowbrook/Willow Meadows and Maplewood. Will places like Meyerland in the Bellaire HS district hold their value better? Actually a small pullback would be helpful as our budget is $500K, stretch to $550K, which buys a house in Meyerland, but not an updated one.

Thanks
Long-term, this area is solid for appreciation. I can't think of a scenario other than a natural disaster (flooding) that would change that.

We just bought a home in that area, and I can comfortably say we paid a premium for it (had just been gutted and redone), and thankfully we sold our old one for a premium as well, so it's a wash. My gut tells me that prices won't go down as there's enough demand out there still to keep them up, but won't continue their fast upward movement. If the volume of houses on the market goes up, there's more pricing power by buyers. They aren't building any more neighborhoods being built, so volume is resale (including teardowns).

Since spring/summer are the time when there are more houses on the market, we will find out as we watch the Days on Market! People are continuing to test the market with higher and higher prices, and so if those homes sit longer, we will have our answer.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:57 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
Long-term, this area is solid for appreciation. I can't think of a scenario other than a natural disaster (flooding) that would change that.

We just bought a home in that area, and I can comfortably say we paid a premium for it (had just been gutted and redone), and thankfully we sold our old one for a premium as well, so it's a wash. My gut tells me that prices won't go down as there's enough demand out there still to keep them up, but won't continue their fast upward movement. If the volume of houses on the market goes up, there's more pricing power by buyers. They aren't building any more neighborhoods being built, so volume is resale (including teardowns).

Since spring/summer are the time when there are more houses on the market, we will find out as we watch the Days on Market! People are continuing to test the market with higher and higher prices, and so if those homes sit longer, we will have our answer.
Yeah. Plus, any home that hasn't been remodeled goes straight to flippers-- so most houses sell for a premium because realtor makes sellers make improvements/remodels before listing. This is keeping prices high. Is this true in other neighborhoods? I hadn't seen this so common in other places I've lived (outside Houston).

Old 12-31-2014, 08:03 PM

30 posts, read 44,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post

Thanks much. This area seems to fit me much better than the outer burbs. Just curious: do these neighborhoods typically have HOAs and such? I know they're the norm in Houston, but rules dictating the length of my lawn and whether my car can overlap a sidewalk bug me on principle. (My lawn is neat, and my house kept up, but busy bodies bother me).

Old 01-01-2015, 07:24 AM

309 posts, read 425,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
Generally, no, and it's not zipcode based is school zone based. Therefore the value of property in Houston is tied to location AND the perception of the zoned public schools.

Here's a handy cheat sheet for SBISD schools.

http://cms.springbranchisd.com/maps/...9/Default.aspx

Basically, in terms of resale value, houses zoned to schools that feed into Stratford or Memorial are worth more than those that aren't. Then, anything south of the I-10 is generally more desirable than north.

Individual school zoning maps here:

http://cms.springbranchisd.com/maps/...7/Default.aspx
Thanks very much! I really appreciate the help.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:37 PM

77 posts, read 114,352 times
How will the energy Corridor area fair the low oil prices? Think housing pricing will go down? When do you think we will see that? I am talking about neighborhoods like Country Village, Briar Forest, Reflections, Briar Village and Briar Hills.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:21 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
The price of oil fell to $35 in 2008 so it doesn't take a crystal ball to see possible effects of a price bust just look back at 2008.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
The price of oil fell to $35 in 2008 so it doesn't take a crystal ball to see possible effects of a price bust just look back at 2008.
What exactly happened in 2008 when the price of oil fell?
I moved to Houston in 2010 so I missed that whole scene.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:38 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjj42 View Post
What exactly happened in 2008 when the price of oil fell?
I moved to Houston in 2010 so I missed that whole scene.
The satellite burbs stalled then dropped a little. building stopped. After two years building took off and appreciation began.

The close in burbs stalled, the took off at a fast pace of appreciation within a year. Forgotten close in suburbs began gentrifying within two years, then appreciating.

The ITL stalled, then took off at a fast pace of appreciation within a year.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
The satellite burbs stalled then dropped a little. building stopped. After two years building took off and appreciation began.

The close in burbs stalled, the took off at a fast pace of appreciation within a year. Forgotten close in suburbs began gentrifying within two years, then appreciating.

The ITL stalled, then took off at a fast pace of appreciation within a year.
Interesting.
What places are considered to be the 'satellite burbs' and what areas are considered to be 'close in burbs'?
I'm assuming that the ITL areas are probably the areas around West University and Montrose/Upper Kirby? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston