Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 01:17 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
I made my point and now you are putting words in my mouth. I never said zero government involvement. I said the existing controls in place is sufficient. Is only some of you throwing liberation crap and twist my position to zero involvement.

I give you another example. That Ashby high-rise. So for the benefit of a few residents, the tower was delay for 7 years. Is this what we want Houston to become?

How many projects will still be around when approval takes 7 years?
I don't care how long a project takes to develop, that's the developer's problem.

But I don't want my taxpayer money subsidizing for profit development via TIFs (Tax Increment Financing) or other scams that are welfare for corporations. Nope, keep my taxes for schools, sanitary, sewer, parks, recreation, and police protection. Oh and welfare for the poor and needy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 01:18 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I don't care how long a project takes to develop, that's the developer's problem.

But I don't want my taxpayer money subsidizing for profit development via TIFs (Tax Increment Financing) or other scams that are welfare for corporations. Nope, keep my taxes for schools, sanitary, sewer, parks, recreation, and police protection. Oh and welfare for the poor and needy
Bravo! Well said.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:56 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
No.

The question is who is to primarily to blame, the cheating husband or the temptress?
The question isn't either since it is a private matter and therefore none of my business, whereas the situation you're comparing it to is public. There is a question of blame to be assigned for graft, accepting bribes, etc...

Old 12-17-2014, 02:04 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
The question isn't either since it is a private matter and therefore none of my business, whereas the situation you're comparing it to is public. There is a question of blame to be assigned for graft, accepting bribes, etc...
You really need to try processing this again.

Does the primary responsibility fall on the person who pledges to do the right thing or the person who tempts them to violate that trust?

Old 12-17-2014, 03:58 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

The article nor the original discussion had anything to do with tax abatement or TIF or whatever you are referring to. We are discussing additional controls for development. Are you just yapping about or you really have no idea but just want to babble?

Old 12-17-2014, 04:21 PM

960 posts, read 2,750,239 times
Some re-development control by a collaboration with the owners, civic association, community, and government - good.

A narcissistic, tasteless, pain-in-the-azz, for-profit seeking bulldozer at the expense of the poor and widows to re-develop whatever they want - bad.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:50 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
The article nor the original discussion had anything to do with tax abatement or TIF or whatever you are referring to. We are discussing additional controls for development. Are you just yapping about or you really have no idea but just want to babble?
Instead of redirecting, why don't you tell me if you think TIFs are good use of "gub'ment money"?

Old 12-18-2014, 06:53 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
Some re-development control by a collaboration with the owners, civic association, community, and government - good.

A narcissistic, tasteless, pain-in-the-azz, for-profit seeking bulldozer at the expense of the poor and widows to re-develop whatever they want - bad.
Sorry, but that's zoning. You say "some control", but what's SOME? And who decides what's tasteless, and what's not?

In general, the free market is still the best control over property use. Development controls are needed, such as COH's Section 42. That prevents abuse (like building on a property line), while still allowing the market to decide the best use of land.

Houston works exactly because we DON'T allow "civic associations" to decide what I can do with MY land.

There was a reason in this last recession that housing prices dropped 30-75% across the country, except for Houston.

And as a final thought... why should "the poor and widows" be excused from having decisions affect them? Sure I'm being cold & callous on purpose, and exaggerating to make a point, but think about it. Why them? Let's throw in orphans, homeless, persecuted religious minorities and the ugly. Don't they deserve cheap housing too? I say we screw the family that's owned the land for 80 years, and is finally ready to cash in their chips. Let's give a break to those poor widows.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:32 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Sorry, but that's zoning. You say "some control", but what's SOME? And who decides what's tasteless, and what's not?

In general, the free market is still the best control over property use. Development controls are needed, such as COH's Section 42. That prevents abuse (like building on a property line), while still allowing the market to decide the best use of land.

Houston works exactly because we DON'T allow "civic associations" to decide what I can do with MY land.

There was a reason in this last recession that housing prices dropped 30-75% across the country, except for Houston.

And as a final thought... why should "the poor and widows" be excused from having decisions affect them? Sure I'm being cold & callous on purpose, and exaggerating to make a point, but think about it. Why them? Let's throw in orphans, homeless, persecuted religious minorities and the ugly. Don't they deserve cheap housing too? I say we screw the family that's owned the land for 80 years, and is finally ready to cash in their chips. Let's give a break to those poor widows.
Exactly my point. Seems like we are getting more and more of that 47% that want handouts and gov't control for anything and everything here.

I want to live in downtown but I don't want to paid more. Let's make the developers save 25% of the condo for low income housing and let him build it.

You want a shopping center? Sure give a free clinic rent free location in your center and we will approve it.

A big reason this city's housing is affordable is because of current regulations or lack of. Putting in more restrictions will only make the 47% less able to afford this city. But they are too stupid to realize that as usual.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:37 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Exactly my point. Seems like we are getting more and more of that 47% that want handouts and gov't control for anything and everything here.

I want to live in downtown but I don't want to paid more. Let's make the developers save 25% of the condo for low income housing and let him build it.

You want a shopping center? Sure give a free clinic rent free location in your center and we will approve it.

A big reason this city's housing is affordable is because of current regulations or lack of. Putting in more restrictions will only make the 47% less able to afford this city. But they are too stupid to realize that as usual.
What the hell does that have to do with gentrification?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston