Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 10:52 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times

Advertisements

Downtown has a designated task force now. I've also seen a homeless police division unit car, but the same panhandlers are still around...

Old 12-15-2014, 01:20 AM

7,540 posts, read 11,569,183 times
The worst it the skinny lady that stands at 610 & MLK she has been standing there on and off for 8 yrs do not give her money she will use it to buy crack or beer. I have seen this lady standing there like at 11 or 12 at night even when it is like 42 outside or raining

Old 12-15-2014, 06:49 AM

369 posts, read 843,707 times
The worst is the youth football teams that hang out at the corner and expect you to put money in their helmets. They are running all over the intersections on 228 and the south belt. Why they can't just fund raise like normal sports teams instead of begging.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:03 AM

42 posts, read 71,636 times
I was always bothered by this one older, short woman who panhandled at the intersection of Westheimer and 610 (right in front of Hotel Derek). She would come up to my window and just stand there. Once I shook my head and mouthed "no" and she said aggressively, "What did you say?" I repeated myself and the light turned green.

She's been at it for years. I saw her years later, window down, she comes up, I say no, then she tells me how pretty I am....

I don't mind the ones who are at least willing to give you something for your donation. I'll even give these guys a couple extra bucks--the guy selling Sunday papers here off 249 and Spring Cypress gets a few extra bucks from me a week. At least they aren't just expecting money for nothing.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:05 AM

42 posts, read 71,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepizza View Post
The worst is the youth football teams that hang out at the corner and expect you to put money in their helmets. They are running all over the intersections on 228 and the south belt. Why they can't just fund raise like normal sports teams instead of begging.

I cannot stand this crap.

My entire family (I am the eldest) ran summer track for a total of about 10 years. Lots of summer team trips.

Our team never once begged for donations- we had bbqs, car washes, sold candy, etc...

Old 12-15-2014, 07:13 AM

693 posts, read 1,107,334 times
1. Remember, these bums are getting your money tax free. Uncle Sam does not see one red cent of the money you dole out.

2. Stay strong. Don't fall for scams like women with kids or dogs. These are meant to tug at your heart strings. There is absolutely no reason a rational adult would subject kids to begging on street corners. This is all a dog-and-pony show to garner sympathy. Just because the bums are using kids does NOT make you responsible for their well-being.

3. If you are the sort of person who has a hard time saying no, avoid areas where bums congregate. Bums prey on people's emotions and love it when they come across a good or kind person. Think of them as a special kind of salesperson who deals in woe, sorrow and misery. They want to give you misery in exchange for a few bucks. Don't feel too bad though. Bums count on the fact that displeasure will make you throw a few bucks their way to leave you alone.

4. Like others indicate on this thread, bum rackets exist. If you give money to bums at intersections, you are supporting organized crime.

If you genuinely feel the need to help bums, carry some water or sandwiches around with you in the car. Or take some dog food with you for the manipulative bums out there who tie up their dogs to trees in the median while they beg. You will quickly see these tactics will only infuriate bums. They don't want to nourish themselves, their kids or animals. They only want to get lit drugs or booze.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:16 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,805,583 times
Happy Holidays Houston!

Old 12-15-2014, 09:20 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdees View Post
I was always bothered by this one older, short woman who panhandled at the intersection of Westheimer and 610 (right in front of Hotel Derek). She would come up to my window and just stand there. Once I shook my head and mouthed "no" and she said aggressively, "What did you say?" I repeated myself and the light turned green.

She's been at it for years. I saw her years later, window down, she comes up, I say no, then she tells me how pretty I am....

I don't mind the ones who are at least willing to give you something for your donation. I'll even give these guys a couple extra bucks--the guy selling Sunday papers here off 249 and Spring Cypress gets a few extra bucks from me a week. At least they aren't just expecting money for nothing.
Those newspaper vendors are homeless hired by the Chronicle.

We lived in an apartment on Walnut Hill and the nb freeway in Dallas. During that time we watched the shift change and dinner break. A driver in a van came with a fast food meal for each plus a 6 pack of beer. He then drove them to a different intersection.

The Chronicle recently had an article about a guy who lived under a bridge. A kind woman befriended him, contacted his family who would provide him with his own living quarters if he would stop drinking. It took him some time to agree to the conditions. His new life lasted about 6 months before he went back to the bridge.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:44 PM

3 posts, read 2,833 times
Can we talk about how alot of the panhandlers look like they are young, healthy enough and able to work...why not get a petty job?..I know from experience ANYBODY can get a job at myfitfoods for 10 an hour their turnover rate is crazy.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:50 PM

62 posts, read 122,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
1. Remember, these bums are getting your money tax free. Uncle Sam does not see one red cent of the money you dole out.

4. Like others indicate on this thread, bum rackets exist. If you give money to bums at intersections, you are supporting organized crime.

If you genuinely feel the need to help bums, carry some water or sandwiches around with you in the car. Or take some dog food with you for the manipulative bums out there who tie up their dogs to trees in the median while they beg. You will quickly see these tactics will only infuriate bums. They don't want to nourish themselves, their kids or animals. They only want to get lit drugs or booze.
Please stop giving these people any $$$ ! Right now there is a group that works Westview and Bltwy 8 and one guy begs barefoot. Well, he keeps his shoes in his 'office' ( the bushes by the water/air pump at the Shell station) and puts them on when he decides to go into Walmart for the beer run. Don't worry, he does share with the other members of the Bum consortium working the intersection.

Also look out for the lady who begs at the entrance to the Westview Walmart parking lot. She is there only when the weather is nice, begging. I am pretty sure the kids are only props.

The begging has gotten way way way worse over the years. Back in the 80's never ran into the folks unless I was at the Grey-dog station downtown; now it is like every flippin' corner is claimed by a damn hobo. I wish HPD was able to clear them out a bit quicker; they are getting really bold walking into traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston