Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 01:17 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times

Advertisements

The one thing I do agree with you guys on is that the homeless in Houston do look a but more able bodied than most of the homeless here in LA who look absolutely dreadful. I mean they're coveted in soot, barefoot, and deeply mentally disturbed. I think a lot of the panhandlers in Houston are just seriously down on their luck, proly addicted to drugs, can't pay rent or can't find work.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:35 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,972,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The one thing I do agree with you guys on is that the homeless in Houston do look a but more able bodied than most of the homeless here in LA who look absolutely dreadful. I mean they're coveted in soot, barefoot, and deeply mentally disturbed. I think a lot of the panhandlers in Houston are just seriously down on their luck, proly addicted to drugs, can't pay rent or can't find work.
Although u are an understanding person. The world needs more people like you.
But I am not gonna tolerate any excuse for being a bum.

Down on their luck? How bout get up and try again. You me and every person on earth have run into bad luck.
Drug addict? Once you reach this point. Life is over.
Can't pay rent? Or find work? Refer to my post 17. Did I mention I didn't speak one word of English. Not one word. Still found work.

I haven't mention I lived on a refugee camp for 24months. Before I arrived to the United States.
This is a different story for a different day. Which no one in my family wants to remember..

Capital L A Z Y.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:57 AM

2 posts, read 1,931 times
@Joshm0788, my wife and I are new to Houston and agree that it appears to be out of hand here and really makes the area look bad. It seems as though Houston could legislate their way out of this but some bleeding hearts seem to think this is a Freedom Of Speech issue based on what I've seen on other blogs, as I was shocked like you when I came here and looked around to see what's being done about it. Based on what I'm reading on some of the responses to your inquiry there seems to be a lot of apathy about it.

Seems to me with all the public assistance available that someone doesn't need to wheel grandpa out to the corner each day in a wheelchair in the elements to beg. Many/most look quite capable and well fed misfits who are looking for a handout rather than a hand. At a minimum make these folks register with the city for a panhandling permit or something so that they can establish a database of who and what issues are preventing these folks that might really need help from getting assistance and/or real work. If the bleading hearts actually believe it's a "right" require these panhandlers to Register and require a large permit to wear and an orange vest and I'll bet they disappear quickly.

Last edited by Craig0311; 12-18-2014 at 03:18 AM..

Old 12-18-2014, 10:30 AM

860 posts, read 1,585,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig0311 View Post
@Joshm0788, my wife and I are new to Houston and agree that it appears to be out of hand here and really makes the area look bad. It seems as though Houston could legislate their way out of this but some bleeding hearts seem to think this is a Freedom Of Speech issue based on what I've seen on other blogs, as I was shocked like you when I came here and looked around to see what's being done about it. Based on what I'm reading on some of the responses to your inquiry there seems to be a lot of apathy about it.

Seems to me with all the public assistance available that someone doesn't need to wheel grandpa out to the corner each day in a wheelchair in the elements to beg. Many/most look quite capable and well fed misfits who are looking for a handout rather than a hand. At a minimum make these folks register with the city for a panhandling permit or something so that they can establish a database of who and what issues are preventing these folks that might really need help from getting assistance and/or real work. If the bleading hearts actually believe it's a "right" require these panhandlers to Register and require a large permit to wear and an orange vest and I'll bet they disappear quickly.
Some observations from a native Houstonian:

"Public assistance" here is not that abundant or easy to obtain. Various government bureaucracies claim to be coordinating their programs, but regulations, red tape and waiting lists still exist.

Although panhandlers may look "capable and well fed", research shows that a large percentage have untreated mental health issues, addictions to drugs/alcohol, or both. Legally, they cannot be detained or treated against their will, unless they are a danger to the themselves or others.

Requiring registration for panhandlers won't work for practical reasons.

Welcome to our city. With all its problems, it's still a pretty good place to live.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:39 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshm0788 View Post
I am new to Houston. Think this is a great city to live in but the amount of panhandlers is very disappointing. Brings down the image of the city. With the amount of jobs in Houston why are there so many? Why doesnt the mayor and city council clean this up? If you go to NYC you wouldnt see nearly has many as you do on the streets of Houston.
I am shocked that there is not more talk about this on the forum and why it is just being accepeted in Houston.
Are you sure this isn't pride or ego talking?

It's all relative. You knew New York better so you knew what areas to avoid so it probably didn't seem as frequent. You're new here, so you haven't found which areas to stay away from. As crowded as New York is, I refuse to believe that this is such a unique problem to Houston. That's like saying there's absolutely no rats on any corner in New York.

Gimmie a break

Old 12-18-2014, 11:19 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The one thing I do agree with you guys on is that the homeless in Houston do look a but more able bodied than most of the homeless here in LA who look absolutely dreadful.
The vast majority of the homeless here have good color, no indication they are diseased or lacking vitamins or calories. The vast majority don't have that awful smell like a part of them are rotting (see NOLA in the summer for that). A good number of them have beer guts and are overweight. Those fatasses are aggressive downtown.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:20 AM

254 posts, read 464,517 times
Story Time!

In Philly (and now making its way to Houston) people usually just keep to themselves and move quickly when walking on the street (that part hasn't reached Houston yet...). You will rarely look someone in the eyes and most people move at a brisk pace.
One day I'm on lunch break and walking to a restaurant. Out of the corner of my eye I see a woman on an intercept course with me. I'm thinking she might just be going to a place near my general vicinity. I keep moving and it seems she is walking right up to me. I glare in her direction and here is what the clearly drugged out woman says:

"All I wanted was a box of crack"

Probably the best walk I've ever been on!

Old 12-18-2014, 11:46 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,871,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdees View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepizza View Post
The worst is the youth football teams that hang out at the corner and expect you to put money in their helmets. They are running all over the intersections on 228 and the south belt. Why they can't just fund raise like normal sports teams instead of begging.
I cannot stand this crap.

My entire family (I am the eldest) ran summer track for a total of about 10 years. Lots of summer team trips.

Our team never once begged for donations- we had bbqs, car washes, sold candy, etc...
I agree. My daughter played select soccer, and we paid for EVERYTHING. Trainers, tournament fees, hotel, gas, food, etc. If you can't afford the price to play, sorry, but maybe you should not be playing. I've even said a few time to the parents that "Sorry, I paid for my kids to play sports, so I'm not supporting your kids too."

Regarding the panhandlers, there are plenty of churches and other organizations that offer help, if they really needed it. But most of them don't want to abide by the rules set up for the help. I have given some money in the past, but it is rare. Once to a young guy, said he needed formula and diaper money. Well, his wife/gf/so was under the bridge with a baby in her arms, so we did give him $20. Another guy needed gas money and he offered me his business card and showed his ID and said he would pay me back. He seemed honestly here on a job interview, so we helped him. I've given the guys with the water bottles and squeegies a couple of bucks before. At least they are doing something for the money.

I did have one of the bums selling papers fuss at me. I had the misfortune of stopping right next to him and he asked me to buy a paper. I didn't need it nor did I have cash and he proceeded to talk about 50 cents, that's all he gets, 50 cents. He said "I bet you make more than 50 cents, right?" He was just a fuming about only making 50 cents I guess, per paper he sells.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:27 PM

360 posts, read 665,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk08 View Post
Some observations from a native Houstonian:

"Public assistance" here is not that abundant or easy to obtain. Various government bureaucracies claim to be coordinating their programs, but regulations, red tape and waiting lists still exist.

Although panhandlers may look "capable and well fed", research shows that a large percentage have untreated mental health issues, addictions to drugs/alcohol, or both. Legally, they cannot be detained or treated against their will, unless they are a danger to the themselves or others.

Requiring registration for panhandlers won't work for practical reasons.

Welcome to our city. With all its problems, it's still a pretty good place to live.
^^^THIS. THIS. THIS.^^^

Someone once VERY close to me is now mentally ill and homeless despite MANY attempts to help him by anyone and everyone who knows him. Some of these people are legit.

However, I do agree that there are many coordinated bum rackets in Houston. I see them all the time on Hwy 6. I also despise the team "fundraisers". As a native Houstonian, I am generally apathetic to it all because they've always been around. Always. Despite many, many, programs and charities for the homeless in our city, and multiple mayors vowing to do something about it. I doubt it will change soon.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:28 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Charities? That's not the best way to combat the issue. It's the same scenario with wanting better schools but not wanting to pay more taxes. I wouldn't call Houston that homeless friendly. I'm sure people do good work but it takes a pretty hefty city intervention to root out the problem.

The safety net in Houston and Texas for that matter is pretty minimal compared to other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston