Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2022, 11:19 AM

9,851 posts, read 6,562,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Mont Belvieu seems to be so far, but it’s almost the same distance as Katy is to the city. I was out towards the East this month, and MB has grown a lot; it’s getting quite busy.
Katy has proximity to Memorial/EC, and the overall Western Houston that’s just generally better than Eastern Houston. That’s why the distance is more manageable from Katy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 01:04 PM

18,122 posts, read 25,262,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
They really cheap out when they build Houston freeways nowadays. What a terrible layout. The Grand Parkway was so rushed and built too small already.
There’s a section that instead of going over FM2920, it goes below because is next to Hooks airport
Guess what happened the first time it rained after they opened the highway = it flooded

Old 01-18-2022, 08:03 PM

3,881 posts, read 2,190,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I personally find Pasadena more depressing than any of those other places. I hadn't seen so many vacant commercial buildings in one place (Pasadena Blvd. and Southmore) since I had been in downtown Port Arthur. Plus a lot of 1950s single family residential that had seen much better days. Not to mention a somewhat dysfunctional (and some would say racist) city government that essentially blatantly tried to limit Hispanic representation as soon as the Supreme Court started rolling back the Voting Rights Act. I think the government's a little better now than it was a few years ago, at least I hope so.
Are Galena Park and Channel View and Deer Park any better? Just curious.

Old 01-18-2022, 09:12 PM

5,610 posts, read 4,931,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Are Galena Park and Channel View and Deer Park any better? Just curious.
Deer Park, at least the parts I've been in, wasn't that blighted. Its population is middle to upper middle class.

I can't speak to Galena Park. Channelview may be a little similar to Pasadena, but the thing about (north) Pasadena was the scale of the vacancy. BIG buildings, even a 12-story "skyscraper" that was architecturally notable, vacant, sometimes just rotting. Don't forget Town Square Mall (now "Macroplaza") that was obviously dying. It was really such a downer. Although, the City had seen fit to built a fancy palace for the police force! (Even while the City Hall and annex buildings were dumpy.)

Old 01-19-2022, 09:05 AM

9,851 posts, read 6,562,879 times
Even those Baytown newer subdivisions are a last resort

Old 01-19-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Even those Baytown newer subdivisions are a last resort
Not sure what you mean by that. Anyway, the overall point is that there's really no geographic sector of the region that's languishing. The slowest growing sector is probably US 90 toward Dayton.

Old 01-19-2022, 01:20 PM

3,881 posts, read 2,190,593 times
Quote:
Deer Park, at least the parts I've been in, wasn't that blighted. Its population is middle to upper middle class.

I can't speak to Galena Park. Channelview may be a little similar to Pasadena, but the thing about (north) Pasadena was the scale of the vacancy. BIG buildings, even a 12-story "skyscraper" that was architecturally notable, vacant, sometimes just rotting. Don't forget Town Square Mall (now "Macroplaza") that was obviously dying. It was really such a downer. Although, the City had seen fit to built a fancy palace for the police force! (Even while the City Hall and annex buildings were dumpy.)
Wasn't Channel View where that cheerleader mom paid to have her daughter's rival "bumped" off? Or was that another suburb? I know it happened in the Houston area in 1991 I think. That's so messed up about how city leaders let that happen but yet ok a fancy police station shows they either didn't care about the city or just didn't know what they were doing.

Last edited by brock2010; 01-19-2022 at 01:29 PM..

Old 01-19-2022, 01:41 PM

1,952 posts, read 827,176 times
I work in Deer Park and worked in Channelview for over 11 years.

Yes, Deer Park is WAY better than Channelview or Baytown. Not nearly as run down and was fewer methheads and homeless.

Still, DP gets those terrible smells like Pasadena and also experiences "shelter in place" orders....so I never bothered with moving over here. I live on the northwest side and commute.

Old 01-20-2022, 12:53 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,765,578 times
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by that. Anyway, the overall point is that there's really no geographic sector of the region that's languishing. The slowest growing sector is probably US 90 toward Dayton.
Wasn’t there supposed to be a massive MPC planned for Dayton/Liberty area right north of Mont Belvieu?

Old 01-20-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Wasn’t there supposed to be a massive MPC planned for Dayton/Liberty area right north of Mont Belvieu?
Yes, River ______ (can't remember the full name) but I don't think anything has moved on it after the announcement some years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston