Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 07:38 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,913,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Is bay colony Dickinson or Santa fe?
Bay Colony is in League City & Dickinson--not Santa Fe. Depends on which side of the road you're on . Some services are Dickinson, & some are League City. My daughter & her family have lived in Bay Colony about ten years, & we've lived here in Bay Colony a little less than a year.

It's a convenient area--everything's accessible without trouble. I drive all over for my job, & go to Galveston several times each month. Takes about 20-30 minutes. Actually, it takes about 20-30 minutes to get to a lot of places from here.

I think most of Bay Colony is in the Dickinson school district--my granddaughter goes to one of the newer elementary schools & it's very nice. It'll be a while until we're looking at high schools, but the word is that they are going to be adding a new high school in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 07:41 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,418,861 times
Keep in mind that city boundaries and school district boundaries are two different things in Texas. Some school districts even cross county lines (like Clear Creek ISD).

Old 12-17-2014, 07:47 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,913,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GidgetGoesNutso View Post
We're looking at homes off Exit 17 Hughes/Holland Rd. A small established neighborhood called Bayou Chantilly (Old Bayou Drive).

Also looking for estimates on electricity bills in the area for a 2100 sq. ft. home. It's more house than we need, but a nice house, in a seemingly good neighborhood at a great price. My husband is nervous about energy costs on such a large house. Only one large bedroom is upstairs (it's a small bonus room). Does anyone have a clue on monthly energy costs?
Our house is a little larger, & we have one of those "averaging" plans so you pay a set amount each month. Our electric runs around $80/month. Which is outstanding--I was used to paying $300+ in a similarly sized house in the RGV. Water's about $40, & gas varies depending on whether or not we use the heat. Overall, pretty cheap comparatively. We have a very large yard, & pay $30 every two weeks for lawn care. So it's really very affordable around here.

Last edited by hellpaso; 12-17-2014 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: Just saw your parameters--lol--we keep it 72ish all the time--so yours would be cheaper!

Old 12-17-2014, 07:56 PM

7,535 posts, read 11,513,892 times
Overall Galveston is not that $$$ to live there you can get a nice home for $200k to $350k or rent for $1300 to $2000 which is not that bad really

Old 12-17-2014, 10:22 PM

41 posts, read 103,831 times
Default What Company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Our house is a little larger, & we have one of those "averaging" plans so you pay a set amount each month. Our electric runs around $80/month. Which is outstanding--I was used to paying $300+ in a similarly sized house in the RGV. Water's about $40, & gas varies depending on whether or not we use the heat. Overall, pretty cheap comparatively. We have a very large yard, & pay $30 every two weeks for lawn care. So it's really very affordable around here.
Hellpaso: Thank you for the info. We are in a small house in Galveston now & paying over $200/mo. with Cirro. The house feels like it has no insulation & was made poorly. $80/mo. is outstanding! Can you tell me what company you're using?

Old 12-21-2014, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 927 times
I live in Cheyenne sub division by the High School. It is nice, and there is a few houses available.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:05 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,889,370 times
Your energy costs will really depend on how well the house was constructed. Home built 2005+ tend to be more energy efficient in the base case. Older homes need radiant barrier roof decking, new windows etc to offer you any efficiency. I am in a 2002 2-story 2350 sq foot home. My summer bills for ac are about $320 at the highest. Most of the summer is in the 200s but aug-oct are likely to be 320 or so. Winter drops significantly less. Howeve my gas bill goes up due to gas heat and the use of my gas fireplace because my two story house often feels colder in the house than it actually is outside. Once it gets chilled it is slow to warm up.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:59 AM

77 posts, read 113,764 times
It does depend on the age and energy efficiency of the home. With 2300 SFT. ten year old home with double window panes and newer home energy helps our bill was 200 this past summer for the two hottest months. Now it is under 100. Gas was 30 bucks this summer now it is about 100. AC set at 75/ heater at 75.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:44 PM

41 posts, read 103,831 times
Thanks all. We are now in escrow. I will definitely look up energy saving tips. We won't be able to afford anything costly. Maybe solar screens in the meantime. Anyone have an opinion on solar screens, or advice on low cost ideas?

Old 01-01-2015, 05:33 PM

6,263 posts, read 7,416,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GidgetGoesNutso View Post
Thanks all. We are now in escrow. I will definitely look up energy saving tips. We won't be able to afford anything costly. Maybe solar screens in the meantime. Anyone have an opinion on solar screens, or advice on low cost ideas?
Constantly monitor your electric bill and look on the https://www.choosetexaspower.org/?s_...TpEaAjdd8P8HAQ website to get lower rates. Don't be afraid to switch electric providers as soon as your contract term expires, if you find cheaper rates, and you probably will
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston