Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Houston's economy still booming ?
Heck ya it's still booming 19 32.20%
It's doing "OK" 25 42.37%
Naw , not really 10 16.95%
Forget about it, Houston is in the dumps 4 6.78%
Undecided 1 1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 10:04 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
This thread has gone way off the reservation. Please re-read my OP. I am not interested in what might happen in the future, nor in the fate of real estate in Sugarland or Alief. As a former Houstonian who worked in O&G for over 25 years, I am interested in what posters see going on now. Has there been a bit of a pause in the boom, or is it still going full bore like, say, 1 year ago? Are firms still hiring at a seemingly unabated pace and are houses being grabbed up almost before they are listed? Those sort of observations.

I look forward to reading your posts.
Several companies have announced reduced capital spending for 2015. It's a pretty firm conclusion that the pace of hiring for higher-paid positions connected to upstream activity will slow dramatically. Less valuable employees connected to such activities might get laid off. For real estate, which is what most folks on this forum are concerned with, there's been such an overhang of demand over available supply in some areas that the impacts won't be terribly negative for a little while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 10:05 AM

288 posts, read 433,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefPropOwner View Post
The bottom line is that large and rapid falls in the price of crude oil correlate strongly with major economic crisis. Houston is the line front in these regards. By the way the market is testing $50 ppb WTI today.

Houston real estate crash is imminent and without doubt, no Houston is not "still in full out boom mode."
I should have said, its still acting like we're in boom mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I come looking for answers for the positive side of things when it seems that several people have answers for the negative side of things.

Let's be real. How many posters have had negative "answers" to oil busts questions? Several. When people ask or say anything about Houston booming or not being in a oil recession similar to the 80s, pessimists chime in with their opinions and answers.

When I posted something about 65,000 jobs and 125,000 people in 2015, people overlooked and refuted it to talk about the negatives. Pretty much everyone has been one sided about this oil debacle: either they are positive or negative; more than a few have been negative. I've come across a few people at best who actually see both sides of the spectrum: "Of course, low gas prices are going to have an effect on Houston's economy. We can expect some lay-offs and job losses, but on the flip side, other industries and the midstream/downstream sectors will keep Houston afloat."

Because so many people are one-sided, it just creates confusion and confliction resulting in questions and concerns.
You get too caught up in this. I think more people just want to look back, bump these threads, and then say I told you so, how it goes either way. Some are too pessimistic, and others try to shine up too much. There's no confusion.

I'll nitpick at your numbers, objectively, if that's what you want. What kind of jobs are expected to grow, not directly related or as a result of O&G? Post recession, the country has seen the number of jobs bounce. What's considered normal for Houston? Does that even matter when things go from fever pitch, and could potentially suddenly just go cold?

Valid or invalid, something A LOT of conservatives question, are the post recession job growth numbers. how many are actual decent paying jobs. So when people see job numbers, the question usually leads to, how much do they pay?

Old 01-05-2015, 10:26 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
Valid or invalid, something A LOT of conservatives question, are the post recession job growth numbers. how many are actual decent paying jobs. So when people see job numbers, the question usually leads to, how much do they pay?
Something conservatives never questioned while Slick Rick was running Texas

Old 01-05-2015, 10:44 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,280,624 times
It don't take a rocket scientist.... to realize a Sunbelt city as Houston... will continue to grow/boom? Northern cities may never see increases as they still had in the mid-20th century.... that had a sort of reverse boom.... south to north. Including large numbers of the black population. But even then California was King of the Sunbelt. Today it is Texas thru the southwest... and Florida still growing to surpass now NY state. Though it was jobs in the mid 20th century that spurred the south to north shift in people? It is less plentiful jobs now ? But to leave most of Winter behind is a large reason.
Northern cities show that in gentrification and renewed Downtown vibrancy. They can and will maintain populations. Though some parts of their cities ......may still lose yet? Many still have growing suburban growth numbers. But Texas and the new Southwest.... is the new California it reasons? With the Pacific Northwest and lower southeast Charlotte Raleigh/Durham thru Florida US ......getting its share of growth too . The Sunbelt continues increases vs. much of the North.

So sure Houston will continue for years to come growth.... most years yet boom level.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:10 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
It don't take a rocket scientist.... to realize a Sunbelt city as Houston... will continue to grow/boom? Northern cities may never see increases as they still had in the mid-20th century.... that had a sort of reverse boom.... south to north. Including large numbers of the black population. But even then California was King of the Sunbelt. Today it is Texas thru the southwest... and Florida still growing to surpass now NY state. Though it was jobs in the mid 20th century that spurred the south to north shift in people? It is less plentiful jobs now ? But to leave most of Winter behind is a large reason.
Northern cities show that in gentrification and renewed Downtown vibrancy. They can and will maintain populations. Though some parts of their cities ......may still lose yet? Many still have growing suburban growth numbers. But Texas and the new Southwest.... is the new California it reasons? With the Pacific Northwest and lower southeast Charlotte Raleigh/Durham thru Florida US ......getting its share of growth too . The Sunbelt continues increases vs. much of the North.

So sure Houston will continue for years to come growth.... most years yet boom level.
People go where the jobs go.

If people move away due to winter, then CA will be adding instead of status quo.

The migration away from the Northern States probably have more to do with the decline of American Manufacturing than anything else.

Texas will continue to be in growth mode as I think Texas has the business conditions companies want to move down here for.

Until the liberals took over CA in the 90s, they used to be an extremely business friendly state, which was why all the manufacturing were setup and the huge migration to the west.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:36 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,167,323 times
Boy Alief, I thought Houston economy was much more diverse than Oil & Gas. Didn't know Houston was going to be the next Detroit in which it mostly relied on 1 economy. Dang it, dang it. Guess all those who get laid off will move to other parts of Texas say like Austin, San Antonio, Dallas where O&G jobs are minimal. (Sarcasm intended)

Old 01-05-2015, 11:38 AM

951 posts, read 1,452,647 times
I feel sorry for the people who bought houses in the last 1 year in Houston

Because they bought it at THE PEAK.

I don't think prices can rise from here, that would be too much of a HYPE.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:39 AM

951 posts, read 1,452,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Boy Alief, I thought Houston economy was much more diverse than Oil & Gas. Didn't know Houston was going to be the next Detroit in which it mostly relied on 1 economy. Dang it, dang it. Guess all those who get laid off will move to other parts of Texas say like Austin, San Antonio, Dallas where O&G jobs are minimal. (Sarcasm intended)
Where is oil and gas in this chart?

Old 01-05-2015, 11:39 AM

This Oil bust is nothing but a bump on Houston. Yes there will be thousands laid off but considering how Houston is booming in every aspect, most of those people will find some other type of job. Houston is not Detroit nor is it Midland Texas.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
Where is oil and gas in this chart?
Under Natural Resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston