Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:31 PM

24 posts, read 125,246 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
We live in the NW Houston / near Cypress area and are considering 'upgrading' to a larger house in the same area this year. We've been considering the following neighborhoods: Copper Lakes, Bridgeland, Cypress Creek Lakes, Coles Crossing, Towne Lake (so expensive!). We'd like either a new home or close to being new.
Bridgeland's plan seems fantastic, but they've got a lot of home-selling to do over at least 10 years to reach their goal, and with the ups-and-downs of the energy industry, we think there is a fair amount of risk plunking down 350k in that subdivision (but, there's a good chance it will make it).
Cypress Creek Lakes is nice, but.. right across the street from big ol' Bridgeland? Will that be a downpoint?
Towne Lakes is nice but perhaps the most expensive.
Aside from Bridgeland, Copper Lakes and Coles Crossing seem like the two we're considering the most. There are some (what seem to be) great offers going on in Copper Lakes right now as they try to finish out that neighborhood.
What are y'all's opinions of Copper Lakes?
I've seen it posted that it will be re-zoned (which may not affect our decision, as we'd like to send our children to a certain parochial school) which sounds like a plus, it is near being built-out, it has some great amenties (lakes, landscapes, pools). It does have lower end neighborhoods (old Copperfield, Cypress Falls, south of 529 area) nearby.. but which neighborhood in Houston doesn't have various priced neighborhoods surrounding it?
Is anyone aware of some downsides that I may not be aware of? Could you let me know the pluses/minuses of Copper Lakes? I
If I had tons of $, I'd probably go with Bridgeland, I guess..
Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 06:05 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,446,206 times
All are fine choices. I prefer the wooded side of Cypress (north of 290) and would choose Coles Crossing over the others, however Bridgelands and Cypress Creek Lakes are very nice communities as are the other developments on that Fry Rd Corridor). The Northern half of the Towne Lake development is wooded and has hundreds of those huge century oak trees that make the centerpiece of the CC lakes parks. If they develop that right, taking care to retain those beautiful trees, they're going to have one of the finest communities South of 290. Consider they developed the wildly popular Rock Creek as well as Wincrest Falls next to Longwood & Lakewood.

As for Copper Lakes, it too is a very nice development and that area is really booming. I believe it is being rezoned from Cy-Fair HS to Langham. Langham is consolidating all of the Copperfield neighborhoods and jettisoning the lower income neighborhoods South of 529 to the new Cypress Lakes HS that is set to open this Fall, so you should see overall improvement in the Langham Creek feeder system as it adds higher end neighborhoods and subtracts lower end neighborhoods.

Towne Lakes is in the Cy-Woods feeder so you're good there. You're good in the Cy-Fair and Cy-Ranch (Blackhorse, CC Lakes, Bridgeland) feeder as well.

You may also consider Lakes of Fairhaven. very nice community located behind Fairfield. It starts in the mid $300's and is situated next to another acreage community that has homes in the $1 Million range. The newest part of Lakes of Fairhaven has lots of old growth trees. That area is presently in the Cy-Fair/Cy-Woods feeder pattern and may wind up in the Cy-Ranch zone, ultimately with it's own HS for the Fairfield area, so you're solid regardless of what happens as they're all great.

Last edited by Mr. Football; 01-06-2008 at 06:18 PM..

Old 01-07-2008, 11:11 AM

12 posts, read 194,852 times
We live in Cypress (Villages of Cypress Lakes), but my sister lives in Copper Lakes and loves it. She has two kids (9 and 2) and there are quite a few children there that are their ages. She is very happy with the community.

Of the choices you listed, I would move into Cole's Crossing before any of the other areas. Has a great rep for being an outstanding community.

Frankly, I hate my neighborhood, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Newer subdivision, but full of riff-raff. Don't need that with 4 kids, thanks. Can't wait until the lease is up late June.

Best of luck!

Old 01-07-2008, 01:25 PM

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks to the both of you that have responded. In line with the comment about the riff raff, that's one of the several reasons we're thinking now is the time to find a larger home.

That is some interesting information about Towne Lake. I'll have to take a drive that way to see how the neighborhood is developing. I'll also check out their website.

Yes, Coles Crossing is a really great neighborhood: lots of tall trees, good development plans throughout, and overall a great reputation. Would probably have to go with a used home there and would have to get lucky, but we're always watching to see what's available.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:35 PM

There are actually a couple of brand new never lived in homes completed in 2007 over in Coles Crossing. Do an HAR search. Also, I'm pretty certain that Stillwater Village is slated to be annexed to the Coles Crossing HOA. They were in negotiations and I'm pretty sure they were going to go ahead with it.

I've heard the same things JCBell said about Villages of Cypress Lakes and probably would opt for some of the other choices as they're tighter knit communities.

Towne Lake is just starting out and they're developing the Southern end first, which, like Bridgeland will have lakes rather than natural growth trees as the primary landscape feature. As they build northward, there are more trees.

I would highly, highly recommend Longwood, but it's been built-out since 2001 - so no new home construction. You may try Stable Gate, which is a beautiful community.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:20 PM

Mr. Football, thanks for info. Impressed by your wealth of Cypress-area information. Still considering which neighborhood to go with. Love the pics of Bridgeland, etc. Any of Copper Lakes?

Old 01-29-2008, 08:41 AM

No, but I'll put it on my "To Do" list.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:02 AM

96 posts, read 370,988 times
My wife and I had the same confliction before we bought a home in Bridgeland. Really, the only reason we decided on Bridgeland over the others was for future resale value. The relocation realty group we used had told us (multiple agents) that the resale value in Bridgeland would be higher in the future because of the plan...a mini-Woodlands as they had reiterated numerous times. We also had a deal that was hard to walk away from with the extreme discounted price on the inventory home we purchased. We looked at Cypress Creek Lakes, Copper Lakes, Coles Crossing, Longwood, and some other developments in Cypress. There was just something about Cy Creek Lakes that did not sit well with us. Copper Lakes was nice but we were concerned about the resale value in that area. If we had to do it again, I think it would be a toss up between Longwood, Bridgeland, and Coles Crossing.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:47 PM

Default floodplain

PennsylTexan & Mr. Football,

(PennsylTexan - thanks for the info on your recent experience, by the way..)

We've been leaning towards Bridgeland now, but I wanted to bounce something off of you. It has to do with floodplains. If you view the FEMA defined flood plains in the Bridgeland area, it is a bit alarming. Much of the Shores section is either OK or in a 500 year floodplain, not cause for too much concern. But the First Bend section, the upcoming Cove section, and much of the rest of Bridgeland looks to be either in a 100 year floodplain or will be directly in a floodway! This is related to the Cypress Creek watershed. The map I've viewed (at TSARP Interactive Mapping Tool (http://maps2.tsarp.org/tsarp/ - broken link)) is as of mid 2007, but I bet much hasn't changed since it was last updated.

Stupid question, but is GGP (developer) doing things to redefine some of these zones? I don't think this has been realized by many folks, and could it steer folks away from Bridgeland?

PennsylTexan - did this topic come up during your visits to Bridgeland and purchase at Bridgeland? Do you have flood insurance?

If you view the map at other comparable neighborhoods in the area (Cypress Creek Lakes, Black Horse Ranch, Coles Crossing, Copper Lakes), you'll see that they are 'safe' in terms of flood zones, I guess..

When I scrolled down to the West Road area west of Barker Cypress (where they've started Towne Lake), it looks like they're planting Towne Lake homes on top of 100 year flood plains..!

Old 02-03-2008, 10:36 PM

10 posts, read 45,125 times
I just purchased a home in the First Bend Section of Bridgeland. Yes, some areas are in the floodplain and floodway based on the original TSARP maps, but a new map (letter of map revision - LOMR) has been submitted to FEMA and is in the process of begin finalized. It is a common occurrence for a new development to be ahead of the redrawn maps. Each lot in the current floodplain will have an elevation certificate showing it is now outside the floodplain after construction of the lot is complete that allows the builder to obtain a building permit for the lot. Trust me, if the lot was not out of the floodplain, the county would not issue a permit to the builder to build the house.

I hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcooper5 View Post
PennsylTexan & Mr. Football,

(PennsylTexan - thanks for the info on your recent experience, by the way..)

We've been leaning towards Bridgeland now, but I wanted to bounce something off of you. It has to do with floodplains. If you view the FEMA defined flood plains in the Bridgeland area, it is a bit alarming. Much of the Shores section is either OK or in a 500 year floodplain, not cause for too much concern. But the First Bend section, the upcoming Cove section, and much of the rest of Bridgeland looks to be either in a 100 year floodplain or will be directly in a floodway! This is related to the Cypress Creek watershed. The map I've viewed (at TSARP Interactive Mapping Tool (http://maps2.tsarp.org/tsarp/ - broken link)) is as of mid 2007, but I bet much hasn't changed since it was last updated.

Stupid question, but is GGP (developer) doing things to redefine some of these zones? I don't think this has been realized by many folks, and could it steer folks away from Bridgeland?

PennsylTexan - did this topic come up during your visits to Bridgeland and purchase at Bridgeland? Do you have flood insurance?

If you view the map at other comparable neighborhoods in the area (Cypress Creek Lakes, Black Horse Ranch, Coles Crossing, Copper Lakes), you'll see that they are 'safe' in terms of flood zones, I guess..

When I scrolled down to the West Road area west of Barker Cypress (where they've started Towne Lake), it looks like they're planting Towne Lake homes on top of 100 year flood plains..!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston