Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 02:34 PM

433 posts, read 701,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
I don't see it that way. My point is that it's important to keep some cultural traditions true to the culture. If we don't, then we're doing a disservice to future generations.

For example, I don't like seeing traditionally black areas of Houston gentrifying into yuppie townhomes. Why? Because an important part of our history is quickly becoming a page in a book. We'll never be able to go back and talk to those residents because they've had to move on, the brick and mortar of Houston's black history is literally disappearing. That's sad.

When we dilute culture for the sake of diversity it's a slippery slope. Diversity is important but so is tradition. It's not like the Rodeo is a KKK convention, it's simply a historically country venue that's becoming less country every year. And that's sad too.
I don't think anyone is clamoring to dilute the culture or get rid off country music, but some of the other music IS a part of Texas culture. It's not just white, country music. It had diversity even in the past.

Last night I was at a Mexican restaurant and they had a Mariachi band. I was expecting the typical stuff, but they were mainly playing country and polka influenced stuff. They played for over an hour and EVERYONE was having a good time. You can hear and feel the history of the region. Different than Mariachi I heard in Cali. Now that is culture.

Rodeo is still over 75% white, country music. So, you're saying 1 out of 4 for the "other" music is too much?

It's the other way around. I think you want to dilute the Texas culture.

Last edited by pach84; 01-20-2015 at 03:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 03:56 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Because that demographic will practically fill the venue for every night there's a show and the organizers/security team don't have to worry about the issues caused by catering to other demographics. The HLSR is 100% about making as much money as they can in a given amount of time with the lowest amount of risk.
What issues? There have been issues?

Old 01-20-2015, 04:13 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Quote:
The Toyota Center has a max capacity of about 18K people, NRG Stadium is around 80K people... that's a huge difference in venue size. The rodeo itself would never fit in a place as small as the Toyota Center, that doesn't even take the rest of the facility needs into account.

Given the size of the venue they've done amazing things with sound quality, ask any live sound professional and they'll tell you.
Wasn't talking about putting the rodeo at Toyota center. Just would rather see a musical artist there for my money. If I go to the rodeo, it's to see the rodeo and its a great venue for that I'm sure they have made great strides in sound quality.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:52 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
What issues? There have been issues?
Over the years there have been a number of issues on the nights when they have brought in artists to cater to a non traditional rodeo demographic. It's widely known that the security is tighter on nights when they bring in non-country acts, that's not by accident.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Over the years there have been a number of issues on the nights when they have brought in artists to cater to a non traditional rodeo demographic. It's widely known that the security is tighter on nights when they bring in non-country acts, that's not by accident.
What issues exactly? Surely if it was something worth mentioning you would be able to tell us what it is.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:39 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Elephant in the room...

Quote:
What issues exactly? Surely if it was something worth mentioning you would be able to tell us what it is.
Come on now.... you know TheMoreYouKnow is talking about Tejano Night, or Reggaeton artists! This political correctness BS has got to stop!

Old 01-21-2015, 07:41 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
I wonder if the actual number of incidents is any different on the country vs non country nights. Plus, you have to remember that the non country nights have more sellouts and attendance for the concerts than most of the country nights. So of course you would bring in more security when expecting more people.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Come on now.... you know TheMoreYouKnow is talking about Tejano Night, or Reggaeton artists! This political correctness BS has got to stop!
Of course. I just want him/her to admit it.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pach84 View Post
I don't think anyone is clamoring to dilute the culture or get rid off country music, but some of the other music IS a part of Texas culture. It's not just white, country music. It had diversity even in the past.

Last night I was at a Mexican restaurant and they had a Mariachi band. I was expecting the typical stuff, but they were mainly playing country and polka influenced stuff. They played for over an hour and EVERYONE was having a good time. You can hear and feel the history of the region. Different than Mariachi I heard in Cali. Now that is culture.

Rodeo is still over 75% white, country music. So, you're saying 1 out of 4 for the "other" music is too much?

It's the other way around. I think you want to dilute the Texas culture.
85K people aren't going to pay $35 a piece and $10 to park to watch a mariachi band on a revolving stage in NRG Stadium.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Of course. I just want him/her to admit it.
Admit what? When certain non-country artists are booked the contract company that handles security for the HLSR increases the number of security guards that will be on the stadium floor, HPD will also increase the number of officers on parking lot patrol. There are hundreds of people on the security committee for the HLSR, they've done this for decades, they know what to expect from certain crowds.

What exactly am I supposed to admit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston