Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 08:48 PM

189 posts, read 224,460 times

Advertisements

Yes, the billboards are taking attention away from the beautiful Houston landscape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 04:03 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
I just think is funny when people don't like the way something looks.... at that point everybody LOVES government regulations and kick property owner's rights to the curve.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:25 AM

61,717 posts, read 87,123,005 times
They definitely make our city beautiful

http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/05/52/70.../3/622x350.jpg
http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/05/52/70.../3/622x350.jpg
http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/05/52/70.../3/622x350.jpg

Old 01-17-2015, 04:36 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
^When you look at those photos, it's hard to actually read a lot of the signs for all the clutter, which reduces their utility. In combination, they undermine each other's existence to the benefit of no one except the billboards' owners, at the expense of everyone else. Even their advertising clients who are paying for obstructed views.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:40 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What happened to "Let the market decide"?
We don't need the government to come here and tell businesses what to do
And we don't need the government to develop and manage police forces, fire departments, build and maintain roads, provide your social security and medicare when you're in your 60s, clean up the air and water (private firms will not do it themselves without intervention), maintain our parks and greenbelts, clean up all the litter and graffiti from all the slobs in our society, clean up toxic waste dumps, oversee child abuse cases, provide education at lower and upper levels, build and run the wastewater treatment plants, ensure that everyone is treated equally under the constitution, and the list goes on and on.

I was in Florida a few years ago, and was at a dinner theater. The lady I sat next to had just returned from an interview in Houston. The only thing she could recall about the city was the billboard clutter. It has improved since then, thank goodness.

Our new Governor has proclaimed that under his leadership, the state will be overruling cities on things he and the legislators don't approve of. He complains about the feds intervening in state matters, but is determined to intervene in city matters. Let's hope he doesn't intervene in the billboard issue. And let's hope the bills he's talking about never get a vote.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:45 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I just think is funny when people don't like the way something looks.... at that point everybody LOVES government regulations and kick property owner's rights to the curve.
Yep. And I'll bet you love government intervention when you want a pothole repaired, need something from the police or fire department, want your social security and medicare, etc. (see the list I provided earlier).

Old 01-17-2015, 11:08 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
LOL. Yes.

When traveling north on Highway 6 from I-10, it's total clutter until you reach West Little York. The odd thing is without the clutter, it is actually easier to find something. All of those signs make it difficult to see buildings and addresses.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:10 AM
bu2

24,102 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
And we don't need the government to develop and manage police forces, fire departments, build and maintain roads, provide your social security and medicare when you're in your 60s, clean up the air and water (private firms will not do it themselves without intervention), maintain our parks and greenbelts, clean up all the litter and graffiti from all the slobs in our society, clean up toxic waste dumps, oversee child abuse cases, provide education at lower and upper levels, build and run the wastewater treatment plants, ensure that everyone is treated equally under the constitution, and the list goes on and on.

I was in Florida a few years ago, and was at a dinner theater. The lady I sat next to had just returned from an interview in Houston. The only thing she could recall about the city was the billboard clutter. It has improved since then, thank goodness.

Our new Governor has proclaimed that under his leadership, the state will be overruling cities on things he and the legislators don't approve of. He complains about the feds intervening in state matters, but is determined to intervene in city matters. Let's hope he doesn't intervene in the billboard issue. And let's hope the bills he's talking about never get a vote.

From Florida?????

I take it she wasn't from Orlando! That has the worst billboard clutter of anyplace in the country. It really does detract from the value of the other billboards.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:17 AM
bu2

24,102 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTxn View Post
Yes, the billboards are taking attention away from the beautiful Houston landscape.

Again, drive up the South Freeway and see what we are talking about. Great view of the skylines.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:19 AM

129 posts, read 171,023 times
I think all the above ground power-lines are more of an eyesore. Also all the o&g factory /refineries you see on 610 or beltway east side. We should get rid of those which actually harm people by putting carcinogens in the air before we get rid of billboards right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston