Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 13,064 times

Advertisements

So I'm curious what people's opinions are of this area. I realize that it has a reputation of being a rough area but I've been through there a few times and at least the Inwood Forest neighborhood itself looks great. I think people sometimes lump Inwood Forest in with Inwood north. Which to me should be considered completely separate.

As far as Inwood Forest...looking around on HAR it seems like you can get a great deal as far as square footage and comparable distance to downtown. I realize that the surrounding area is really the place of concern, but the neighborhood has some beautiful trees and now that the city has purchased that golf course some of the yards have a great view for being in the city.

Last edited by WhatJustHappened; 01-15-2015 at 02:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 02:15 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,768,506 times
I agree it is a good looking neighborhood. The problem will be that you are more or less trapped in it. As you mentioned the surrounding area is quite bad and well known for crime. Going to stores and other conveniences will be a challenge. As an investment I believe it will eventually pay off. My opinion of course.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:41 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,100 times
Yes, there are some nice homes in Inwood, and even Oaks of Inwood. We even considered a house in Oaks of Inwood after living in Inwood North for several years in the late 80's early 90's, but after an attempted carjacking at gunpoint on TC Jester by Tidwell and being run off the road for not stopping, we wrote off that entire area. If you can put up with the surrounding area and not stand out driving to your home, then I'm sure it is a bargain area. It would be great if it became a more desirable neighborhood, but there is a lot of clean up along Antoine needed.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 13,064 times
Sorry to hear that happened. That must have been scary and I think that would probably do it for me on getting out of there as well. But I'm curious because isn't TC Jester and 43rd street considered a highly desirable area (at least now)...or maybe it is a bit further south on TC jester. My point is though that it seems like there is this bad area between 43rd and little york, and perhaps if that starts to turn then maybe Inwood Forest or Oaks of Inwood would have a chance.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:48 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,444,076 times
I'm certain it will gentrify. Good bones. Close in. You will see all of the older areas along 290 appreciate as they complete the 290 expansion, similar to what happened along I-10 after they rebuilt it. It's well situated for people who want to work Downtown, The Galleria, Energy Corridor, or the Northwest Corridor.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:41 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,569,183 times
To close to Acres Homes one top 7 areas in Houston with the most crime I would wait a min of 4 to 5 yrs to see what happens to areas around Inwood Forest before buying a home there. Now if you plan to hold on to property to a min of 10 to 12 yrs might be worth it now. It is not worth for a quick buy a house remodel it and try to flip for quick $$$

Old 01-16-2015, 03:27 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
To close to Acres Homes one top 7 areas in Houston with the most crime I would wait a min of 4 to 5 yrs to see what happens to areas around Inwood Forest before buying a home there. Now if you plan to hold on to property to a min of 10 to 12 yrs might be worth it now. It is not worth for a quick buy a house remodel it and try to flip for quick $$$
That's the issue. Inwood Forest was really nice in the late 70s and early 80s, but it crashed quickly in the 80s.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:55 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,982,397 times
Well Acres home ain't going away anytime soon.

You are within walking distances of Acres Home so it could be another 50 years and it will still be sketchy.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:58 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,569,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Well Acres home ain't going away anytime soon.

You are within walking distances of Acres Home so it could be another 50 years and it will still be sketchy.
I do not think it will even be that long before Acres Homes turns around more like 8 to 14 yrs. That neighborhood needs a few developers to build some home in the $200k to $275k range and a few citizens that want to get rid of the crime and the area will turn around

Old 01-16-2015, 04:59 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatJustHappened View Post
Sorry to hear that happened. That must have been scary and I think that would probably do it for me on getting out of there as well. But I'm curious because isn't TC Jester and 43rd street considered a highly desirable area (at least now)...or maybe it is a bit further south on TC jester. My point is though that it seems like there is this bad area between 43rd and little york, and perhaps if that starts to turn then maybe Inwood Forest or Oaks of Inwood would have a chance.
I was minding my own business driving from Little York towards Tidwell, right on the edge of Acres Homes, so it was a bit north of 43rd. I took it as a short cut to our church in Timbergrove, mid Sunday afternoon. Never thought anything would happen, but there was no way I would stop for those thugs.

Inwood was a great location for commuting. I had several options of going down Little York or Tidwell to Bingle down to the Pinemont park & ride when we carpooled, straight down Antoine, or over to TC Jester. I could usually get home or to work in 30 min or so. But I don't think I would go north of Pinemont now looking for a home. But who knows. We have friends that have lived in Inwood for over 35 years and won't move until they both retire, if even then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: