Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 09:04 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times

Advertisements

Dog park that opened yesterday looks gorgeous. Did anyone go with their pet and what did you think? I love that the city is making buffalo bayou park so beautiful with so many features, including a dog park, for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 09:06 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default No, but...

My kids wanted to go, but we all had commitments that day. The CHRON made one of their slideshows of it...

Heavily-hyped dog park finally opens off Allen Parkway - Houston Chronicle

I heard from some with big dogs say that it was too small for their dogs to run around, and get into the water since there are two areas divided. I have not been, so don't know what he was talking about yet.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:23 PM

They were expecting at least 1900 for the opening ceremonies - that many people with or without dogs in a 2 acres area would leave little room for dogs to play. Maybe once the hype settles down, the park won't seem too small.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:49 AM

222 posts, read 450,564 times
No Thanks...

Quote:
Dog Park Regulations

• Owners are liable for damage or injury inflicted by their dog(s). This means owners are legally and financially responsible for their dog’s behavior. Buffalo Bayou Partnership and the City of Houston have no liability or responsibility for injuries in the dog park.
  • Limit of two dogs per person per visit and one hour for each dog.
  • Dogs taller than 15 inches may not use the small dog area.
  • Dogs must be properly licensed and vaccinated with City of Houston registration and rabies tags displayed on each dog’s collar.
  • Dogs must be leashed before entering and upon leaving the dog park and must be leashed in the transition area. Owners must have a visible leash for each dog at all times.
  • Owners must have disposable pet waste materials visible at all times and must pick up their dog’s fecal matter and dispose of it in a trash receptacle.
  • Owners must have verbal and sight control of their dog(s) at all times and prevent aggressive behavior, fighting, biting and aggressive barking. Never leave your dog(s) unattended.
  • Dogs with a known history of dangerous behavior are prohibited. Immediately leash your dog and leave the park if your dog(s) behaves aggressively.
  • No puppies under four months of age are allowed in the dog park.
  • No female dogs in heat are allowed in the dog park.
  • No children age 12 or under are allowed in the dog park. Children ages 13 through 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Permitted children must be supervised by the adult and behave appropriately. No running, shouting, chasing dogs or petting other people’s dogs without their permission.
  • No dog or people food are allowed in the dog park.
  • No smoking in the dog park or elsewhere in the park.
  • Violation of City Code results in fines and no further use of the dog park.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:14 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Ha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post
No Thanks...
No kidding, bullet # 11, or "No children age 12 or under are allowed in the dog park." is a deal breaker for my family. I liked the old 'unofficial' park, you could bring your babies if you wanted.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:38 AM

7,542 posts, read 11,574,791 times
Dog taller than 15 inches not allowed in the small dog area. 15 inches or smaller now that is a small dog I would never take a really small go to any dog park, so easy for a much larger dog to attack a really small dog. A few of the rules are just to much

Old 01-19-2015, 11:41 AM

There really isn't anything about those rules that bothers me much.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:59 AM

222 posts, read 450,564 times
You better not farT in that dog park or you might get banned or fined

Last edited by p0opstlnksal0t; 01-19-2015 at 01:04 PM..

Old 01-19-2015, 12:35 PM

All the rules shown are really just responsible dog ownership type rules. I'm guessing kids under 12 rule is to keep irresponsible parents from letting young ones run amuck, turning it into a kids playground and increasing the potential for a bite.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:32 PM

483 posts, read 655,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
All the rules shown are really just responsible dog ownership type rules. I'm guessing kids under 12 rule is to keep irresponsible parents from letting young ones run amuck, turning it into a kids playground and increasing the potential for a bite.

This! Yes. I have 2 dogs and we love dog parks, and I cringe every time I see someone with kids come in.

They chase dogs, scream and run around. Dogs chase and run into them, the parents get mad. Or the parents watch the kids and not the dogs.
Not all dogs are kid friendly(they are small, loud and don't move like dogs expect, Ive seen plenty of dogs shy away from kids, only to then be chased by the kids)
Also letting the little kids play in the sands where the dogs pee, its all just a mess.

Sure, I know there are people who have children that respect animals, and are very nicely behaved at the dog park, but you have to rules for the people who's children have no idea how to act with strange dogs.

They also shouldn't be subjected to some of the events that happen in dog parks.
We visited a park in WY once, a lady with her 3 young kids and lab were there. The lab got jumped on by another, larger, dog(the lab was trying to steal his toy) a fight ensued.
She couldn't help her lab because the kids were freaking out and by the time any of us got over there both dogs had rips in their ears(which bleed a lot) and the children were pretty much traumatized. Can you imagine, being a 4 to 8 year old and seeing your dog like that? No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston