Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 08:23 PM

8 posts, read 14,954 times

Advertisements

As someone who is actively in the process of moving to the Katy/Sugar Land area from " Chiberia" this fall, I have several questions that are unanswered at this time and wondering if you Houstonites can share some insights-

1) Has anyone moved to Houston and regretted their decision ?
2) How miserable is the Houston summer? really.. how unbearable is this for a Mid-western family?
3) Job opportunities - I have been doing a lot of research but there aren't many IT jobs in Houston or in the burbs- Chicago is pretty much the same way but I never had to wait for more than 2 weeks during my recent searches in the Chicago area. There are always those hidden positions that don't usually show up in searches. Any thoughts ?
4) How bad are those allergies in Houston ? My kids have minor skin irritations and occasional sinus issues- We are planning on visiting Houston this summer and is one week enough for us to get a better understanding ? thoughts ??
5) Top school Dists( Katy or the woodlands or Sugar Land)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 08:45 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,994,493 times
You might want to rent first if you don't have a job because it is best to try and live where you can have the shortest commute. Find a job, then pick your home location. I am a native Houston and I LOVE the heat and humidity but most who relocate are absolutely miserable (I'm that way with the cold). Allergies are bad in Houston - ragweed in the fall and trees in the spring are the worst for people. I'm allergic to a lot of stuff so I take shots all year long twice a month. There are good school districts on all sides of town and once you have a work location, might be easier to advise. Friendswood, Clear Creek ISD, Woodlands, Sugarland, Katy, Pearland -- all good and all around town.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:48 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,983,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARN160 View Post
As someone who is actively in the process of moving to the Katy/Sugar Land area from " Chiberia" this fall, I have several questions that are unanswered at this time and wondering if you Houstonites can share some insights-

2) How miserable is the Houston summer? really.. how unbearable is this for a Mid-western family?
3) Job opportunities - I have been doing a lot of research but there aren't many IT jobs in Houston or in the burbs- Chicago is pretty much the same way but I never had to wait for more than 2 weeks during my recent searches in the Chicago area. There are always those hidden positions that don't usually show up in searches. Any thoughts ?
4) How bad are those allergies in Houston ? My kids have minor skin irritations and occasional sinus issues- We are planning on visiting Houston this summer and is one week enough for us to get a better understanding ? thoughts ??
1) You are what you make out of it. I think Houston is one of the best city in the country to raise a family.
2) Thats why there is AC everywhere. You just don't go outside to play unless it is to the swimming pool.
3) No opinion on this.
4) Allergies is bad here. Nothing a claritin/shots can't handle though.
5) I live in Sugar Land but imo Katy school district is #1 but they sure like to spend your tax money. A billion dollar bond just passed there to build another stadium.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:50 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,917,993 times
Lived in Bucktown and the Loop, no regrets. Twice the space, same money. Less compacted.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:19 AM

60 posts, read 105,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARN160 View Post

1) Don't move here if you are not willing to accept a different way of life. I'm not saying this to be mean, but time and time again I see transplants become miserable when they move here because it is not like were they came from. They are unwilling to accept the Texas culture. Come to Texas with an open mind and embrace what it has to offer and you will be fine. I'm a Houston native that has lived on the west coast, Midwest, northeast, and internationally. I wouldn't live anywhere else but here.

2) That all depends you. Some people can deal with it, some can't. I huge benefit of the humidity is better skin and depending on your ethnicity your hair too.

3) Try linking up with a head hunter

4) BAD! Ragweed and pollen are the culprits.

5) They are all good. IMHO your parental involvement in your child's education is more beneficial than the school district they attend.

As texas7 has advised, find the job first then that will determine where you live. Houston's mass transportation is seriously lacking. The buses and light rail only service a small percentage of the population. I lived in Naperville, so I know how extremely easy is to hop on a train and get to Chicago for work.

P.S. We are Houstonains not Houstonites

Old 01-20-2015, 07:32 AM

371 posts, read 543,274 times
1.) Yes. Everyday I regret moving here. I grew up here, finally was able to leave, and moved back for a stupid reason and for a job.
2.) The summers are absolutely miserable and long. I do not like heat and the humidity suffocates me and breaks out my face though, so I would be the person who would like this type of climate the least.
3.) Not sure about IT jobs- unfortunately can not help you there- I work in a plant
4.) The allergies are very bad for me- I have to be on shots.
5.) All of the school districts that you mention are good ones

Old 01-20-2015, 04:03 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,240 times
Houstonians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston