Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 10:31 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,413 times

Advertisements

Love our attached side-swing garage w/ separate attached 3rd bay on the other side of the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 12:16 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,872,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Like the look of a detached but love the convenience of an attached. Want the best of both worlds, buy a corner house with garage on the side. If this in unobtainable, I would choose an attached. With young kids and groceries, it's much easier.
For us, it was the exact opposite. Pie shaped lot on a cul-de-sac with a detached garage. The extra long and wide driveway gave our kids lots of space to play, ride bikes, power wheels, trikes, etc. without them being in the front yard or street. Lots of chalk drawings and such! We just backed a car down to the sidewalk (but not on it) and let the kids play in front of it. Now that the kids are older it seems like a full time basketball court!

I will admit groceries could be a bit easier with an attached garage, since we have dogs and have to keep the gate and side garage door closed when bringing groceries in. But then again, opening a SUV hatch inside an attached garage with the garage door closed would not work either, unless the garage is fairly deep. To me, the best of both worlds is to have both, a side loading attached for 2 cars and a detached for 2-3 cars, or even an attached garage that is set way back in the lot and just barely attached.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:34 PM

129 posts, read 170,998 times
Detached is one cheap way to do it for the developer, he is essentially wasting your back yard space so he can make your lot more narrow and fit more homes. However... these new age homes with the garage right out front and most the house behind... are even cheaper, as you've gotten rid of 2 walls, and have and extremely narrow lot. It's a Texas thing, Im not used to having no front window. But around here most people prefer no front window and want a garage which they can just walk into the house from the car.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:13 PM

838 posts, read 1,119,905 times
Some people don't like detached garages.

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...sburg-why.html

Old 01-30-2015, 03:17 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,131,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
Some people don't like detached garages.

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...sburg-why.html
Different climate, I wouldn't want a detached garage in the northern climes either!

Old 01-30-2015, 04:24 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
Different climate, I wouldn't want a detached garage in the northern climes either!
It isn't just snow, it's rain and getting into a sun baked car in the summer.

As far as warming up your car in an attached garage in the winter being dangerous, per the link in the previous post, I have done it for over 40 years without incident.....a little common sense goes a long way.

1. Leave the garage door all the way open when warming up the car.

2. No need to run the car much more than 5 minutes to warm it up.

3. After I pull the car out of the garage, I pause for about 30 seconds or so before I close the garage door to let the fumes dissipate a little bit.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
It isn't just snow, it's rain and getting into a sun baked car in the summer
Detached garages have breezeways and my house is old enough to have 60' shade trees. Besides, how does a garaged car get sunbaked?

Old 01-30-2015, 04:47 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
Detached garages have breezeways and my house is old enough to have 60' shade trees. Besides, how does a garaged car get sunbaked?
LOL! My bad!

As far as attached garages having breezeways, I don't see many that do.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:48 PM

60 posts, read 105,451 times
Detached is definitely the way to go. Originally my house had a a 3 car detached garage with a half circle drive way (not a corner lot). The garage sits on the SE corner behind the house. The original ower had the clear idea and expanded the utility room to connect the garage. Now we have the benefits of an attached garage with a semi detached apparence.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
LOL! My bad!

As far as attached garages having breezeways, I don't see many that do.
Its pretty normal here as far as I can tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston