Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 11:00 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,879,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
The Houston-Austin rivalry is a relatively new phenomenon. There really wasn't much of a rivalry or any kind of mutual animosity prior to roughly the early to mid-90's between the two cities. And it has been my observation that most of the animosity is one-sided, coming mainly from Austinites towards Houston.

It (the "rivalry") all seemed to begin once Austin started getting hyped up as this big "liberal" mecca with all kinds of (supposed) "kooky" culture that other large Texas cities are supposed to lack, according to the rules of the hype. The advent and rise of SXSW as an Austin cultural icon and the expansion of the tech industry both factored heavily into the hype. At some point they decided it would be best for the city's image to somehow distance themselves from the rest of Texas.

In reality, Austin is no more "weird" or liberal than inner-loop Houston is. In fact, when I was growing up in Houston during the 70's and early 80's, Austin's brand of "weird", or bohemian culture as it were... seemed pretty tame compared to the Montrose area of inner-loop Houston. Montrose has since been heavily gentrified, but I'd say it's still on par with Austin's most liberal/Bohemian areas, which are hardly a majority of Austin as a whole. Houston just doesn't toot it's horn constantly about these things, the way Austin does.

You have to understand, a good chunk of Austin's population is made up of people who moved there from the mostly white suburban areas of Houston and DFW, mostly through attending UT and then staying on as full-time Austinites. Many of these people lived very sheltered lives as kids, and never really took the time to explore what their core cities had to offer. They just stayed safely within their suburban bubbles until it was time for college. They got to Austin and discovered all these new (to them) things, decided these things MUST only exist in Austin (within the state of Texas, that is), and stayed there.

Most actual Austin natives generally don't engage in all this anti-Houston or anti-Dallas b.s.

Since the 70s, Austin has been "Houstonized" and Houston has been "Austinized." There's not as much difference as there used to be. Austin isn't just a slow, sleepy college/government town anymore. Houston has slowed down a little and worked a little more on quality of life issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 11:03 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Again with the traffic, when you live in Austin of all places. Too funny. Now, I must have missed the part where people were trying to convince you to move back. With your attitude I highly doubt anybody would want you back.

I agree the weather is horrible. It's not much different or better in Austin though. Both Houston and Austin are in the same climate zone, but Houston is slightly more humid due to it's being coastal. Austin gets slightly higher summer temps, slightly colder winter temps, and is FAR from being dry... unless there's a drought.

The whole Eastern 3/4 of Texas has awful weather. That's why I now live in the Northwest. To people up here, Houston and Austin have equally awful weather. I love it when people in any Texas city NOT named El Paso bicker about how their city has "better weather" than other Texas cities. Always good for a laugh.

Houston may not be easy on the eyes overall, but there are plenty of absolutely gorgeous neighborhoods, like Boulevard Oaks, Southampton, Museum Park, MacGregor, and much of the Heights and Montrose. Austin is pretty by Texas standards, but it's not even a fraction as pretty as many claim it is. Only the older neighborhoods near the lakes could really be considered anything special. The rest of Austin is pretty ho-hum in the looks department. North Austin is especially bland, sterile, and unappealing.

If you prefer Austin over Houston, that's fine. I doubt anyone here really cares one way or the other. Still, why are you posting about it in the Houston forum? Has it not occurred to you that perhaps you might get some flak here when you talk smack on Houston as opposed to say... oh I dunno... Talking smack on Houston in the Austin forum?

How do you figure Houston has the biggest inferiority complex ever? Now that's funny. It's you guys who have your heads in the clouds and your noses in the air. More like Austin has a superority complex, and the most over-inflated opinion of itself ever. Most Houstonians are very humble and modest about where they live. If you interpret that as some kind of "inferiority complex", then you have a lot to learn about human psychology.

Inferiority complex? Good grief, what a stretch.

Good for you. I know I could personally care less about Dallas. Lived there for a couple of years, and I neither loved it nor hated it. Most Houstonians I know don't even think much about Dallas at all. If you're referencing the neverending "Houston vs Dallas" thread in the state forum, well, that's basically just the same two obsessive homers from either city keeping that thing going. Besides, this isn't about Dallas. I think you just threw that last part/paragraph in there in some kind of sad attempt to rile up Houstonians. If you hate Houston so much, then might I suggest not posting in the Houston forum? Unless of course you're just trolling.

I've lived in both Houston and Dallas (and Austin). Houstonians aren't obsessed about Dallas or care much about comparing themselves to Dallas except for pro football fans. Dallasites aren't obsessed with Houston's football teams or care much about them. But there is a little bit of competition/rivalry on the Dallas side regarding Houston in other ways.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:10 AM

1,011 posts, read 976,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
We currently have 2 air-conditioned stadiums that are "in use" now, NRG, and Minute Maid, and one that is dormant, The Harris County Domed Stadium, AKA The Astrodome...

Are you talking about me ?

P.S. lets not turn this into a Astrodome thread, that would be off-topic. If you want to resurrect one of the many Dome threads, go ahead, but beware for I will surely make you suffer for your foolishness !
Jack, I'm just messin' with ya. All this talk about AC parking and someone made reference to the dome. I know you want to save it but not by turning it into a parking structure, AC or not. We've been down this road before, a road to nowhere. Lol.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:20 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I've lived in both Houston and Dallas (and Austin). Houstonians aren't obsessed about Dallas or care much about comparing themselves to Dallas except for pro football fans. Dallasites aren't obsessed with Houston's football teams or care much about them. But there is a little bit of competition/rivalry on the Dallas side regarding Houston in other ways.
Yes, it's an ancient rivalry (Houston and Dallas) that really mainly belongs to the older generations. The rivalry is dying out with the younger generations, in spite of what a few obnoxious homers in these forums would have us believe. These days, most Houstonians and Dallasites really don't care about it much, based on my personal experience.

I lived in Dallas for a while, and have a large contingent of family who lives there. If anything, I think the two cities have much more in common these days, and much more mutual respect for each other (in the present tense) than animosity, unless as you pointed out we're talking about sports.

My personal opinions of both cities are roughly equal, though I spent much more time living in Houston (22 years total) than I did in Dallas (2.5 years). For that reason I tend to speak more about Houston.

That Todd guy was just trying to be inflammatory by bringing it up.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
And this is why I still read this Houston forum. This kind of entertainment value is unrivaled on city-data.

Maybe enough people telling you this enough times will ram this home - there are no air-conditioning parking garages. It might be the one step of energy-wasting the city has never made it around to. Even if you finally chased down this unicorn at the end of the rainbow - eventually, you will leave this mythical place and go shopping, which will invariably take you to a baking asphalt prairie in front of a big-box store. No, Target is not as interested in your comfort walking from your car to their store, even if they too are from Minneapolis.

You don't have what it takes to make it in Houston, and you're going to be miserable. At least you've been warned.
May be the OP was wanting a cool factor that is mostly prominent in New England? Now if we did have air conditioned parking, people will start moving to Texas and it might just become the coolest state in the country. Right now Massachusetts is the coolest state. We need to get their spot. But first.. we need to legalize gay marriage. It is 2015 for Pete's sake! We need to work to change this opinion that Texas is filled with conservative backward people!

Old 02-13-2015, 07:09 AM

398 posts, read 394,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by great_person View Post
May be the OP was wanting a cool factor that is mostly prominent in New England? Now if we did have air conditioned parking, people will start moving to Texas and it might just become the coolest state in the country. Right now Massachusetts is the coolest state. We need to get their spot. But first.. we need to legalize gay marriage. It is 2015 for Pete's sake! We need to work to change this opinion that Texas is filled with conservative backward people!
Maybe you need to change your opinion that conservatives are backwards people.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:12 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,310 times
I can't honestly say I know when an Austin-Houston rivalry began. Maybe its one of those questions that doesn't have a clear answer. However, it would be good for people to know about the so-called Archive War, which is commemorated by a statue on Congress Avenue in Austin. It occurred after the capitol of the Republic of Texas was moved from Houston to Austin.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:53 PM

6 posts, read 4,779 times
The summer is brutal ... temp outside set on HELL , Houston spells alot of JOBS

Old 02-14-2015, 12:18 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
I can't honestly say I know when an Austin-Houston rivalry began. Maybe its one of those questions that doesn't have a clear answer. However, it would be good for people to know about the so-called Archive War, which is commemorated by a statue on Congress Avenue in Austin. It occurred after the capitol of the Republic of Texas was moved from Houston to Austin.
One big reason for moving the capital inland was because yellow fever epidemics on the coast were routinely wiping out a significant percentage of the population there.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:38 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
Actually the archive wars were the result of Sam Houston ordering the capital be moved back to Houston from Austin.

https://www.tsl.texas.gov/treasures/...r/archwar.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston