Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 06:35 PM

67 posts, read 106,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelsTX View Post
So let me get this straight. You want to move to one of the hottest and most humid large cities in the US so you can live in some sort of bugless mythological AC bubble 24/7? Makes sense.
Makes sense to me though. Why mythological? It's reality. I do like to get out in the sun every now and then. I like to work on my tan at the beach. And when the humidity is high, you can always stay indoors. The winters are pretty mild in Houston I hear. That's a definite plus. The thirty below zero temperature can be rough on your skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk08 View Post
In spite of what you're hearing, Houston transplants can cope with the heat, humidity, a little perspiration and survive just fine. Commercial parking garages are built with open walls and some have exhaust fans. Walking to your car in the heat should take only a few minutes. You and your car will cool off quickly with the A/C on its highest settings. Also, we wear lighter weight "breathable" clothes and fewer layers in the summer whenever possible.

No one likes the bugs here, but most of us learn to deal with them without screaming like a little girl. You shouldn't have roaches in your apartment if the management is doing its job AND you store all packaged foods in airtight containers or the fridge as soon as you bring them home. Buy a flyswatter at the dollar store to take care of the occasional large flying roach that gets in when the door is opened.
Thanks. I imagine I can wear a tank top for most of the summer. It also makes sense to me. With upscale restaurants, I am not sure if they would be ok with a tank top while dining out but I imagine they would be understanding?

Old 01-29-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Ah, here it is. The typical view of nearly every Houston suburbanite who rarely, if ever, left their boring little suburb during their youth, then moved to Austin in their 20's or 30's and never looked back (except in spite). This was really all you needed to say.

It's like some kind of prerequisite for Houston ex-pats living in Austin to say this kind of stuff. You think you live in some kind of emerald city that's far superior in every way to everywhere else... but the more objective and realistic fact of the matter is that Austin is better at certain things, but sorely lacks and falls short in others.

Houston is far from my favorite U.S. city, to be sure. There are many things I find fault with in Houston, but many of the problems i have with Houston can also be found, in no small amount, in Austin. At least in Houston the local residents are (mostly) aware of the city's shortcomings and have no problems acknowledging them. To listen to so many Austinites fawn all over their city like it's some kind of sparkling valhalla where EVERYBODY wishes they could live, and then simultaneously overlook all the city's many shortcomings... is not only laughable, but it has become seriously predictable.
This Houston Austin rivalry is interesting. I thought people in texas are fond of the entire state? They were very united? As an outsider, I did not have the best experience in Austin though. The people I met seemed to believe that Austin is heaven and everywhere else is hell! I found that arrogant. I actually like San Diego way better! Too bad I am not finding job opportunities there! Austin down town was pretty but the lack of beach was very unattractive. Also, the freeways in Austin looked ugly. Like they were not planned well or something! The airport was too small too but its a small city I guess!

Old 01-29-2015, 07:38 PM

860 posts, read 1,584,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_245 View Post
Thanks. I imagine I can wear a tank top for most of the summer. It also makes sense to me. With upscale restaurants, I am not sure if they would be ok with a tank top while dining out but I imagine they would be understanding?
Uh, no...maybe okay at a casual joint but not in an upscale restaurant. A looser lightweight woven cotton sport shirt may feel cooler than a close fitting knit top and will get you in most places. All restaurants are air-conditioned.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Uh, no...maybe okay at a casual joint but not in an upscale restaurant. A looser lightweight woven cotton sport shirt may feel cooler than a close fitting knit top and will get you in most places. All restaurants are air-conditioned.
Dang. That sucks. Who wouldn't want some eye candy? Well. That's ok. I can always go running or grocery shopping in a tank top. I don't like wearing a shirt at all. One of the reasons I like warmer weather.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Lots of cons in Houston forgive the pun
The pro's????? Good junior colleges and vocational training in the area and an opportunity to learn a trade if u want to work and then go someplace that will pay u like Dubai
A former resident

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 01-29-2015 at 08:27 PM..

Old 01-29-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Makes sense to me though. Why mythological? It's reality. I do like to get out in the sun every now and then. I like to work on my tan at the beach. And when the humidity is high, you can always stay indoors. The winters are pretty mild in Houston I hear. That's a definite plus. The thirty below zero temperature can be rough on your skin.
The sun in the southern states is very strong and dermatologists now agree that there are no safe suntans. Several of my sun-worshiping friends found this out too late and are undergoing treatment for skin cancer -- not fun! If you do insist on a tan, you won't need to drive 50 miles to a beach -- most apartments have pools.

Houston winters have temperatures that seesaw up and down, so it's smart to check the weather reports daily. The past several days were in the 70's, but chilly, rainy weather will be here this weekend. In early January, daytime highs were in the 40's for nearly a week -- and we may have a repeat next month!

Old 01-29-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
The sun in the southern states is very strong and dermatologists now agree that there are no safe suntans. Several of my sun-worshiping friends found this out too late and are undergoing treatment for skin cancer -- not fun! If you do insist on a tan, you won't need to drive 50 miles to a beach -- most apartments have pools.

Houston winters have temperatures that seesaw up and down, so it's smart to check the weather reports daily. The past several days were in the 70's, but chilly, rainy weather will be here this weekend. In early January, daytime highs were in the 40's for nearly a week -- and we may have a repeat next month!
I like the beaches because of the huge waves and the ability to surf. Pools don't offer that. Also, the ocean has much more beauty than pools which tend to be over crowded and also not very clean!

A recent doctor consult confirmed to me that skin cancer is unlikely unless I tan all the time. I only work on my tan during holidays. During week days I am busy with work.

40's is way better than 30 below zero and tons of snow. Also, you can get vitamin D from the sun! Yay!

Old 01-29-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Dang. That sucks. Who wouldn't want some eye candy? Well. That's ok. I can always go running or grocery shopping in a tank top. I don't like wearing a shirt at all. One of the reasons I like warmer weather.
You'll still see the occasional sign here: No Shirt - No Shoes - No Service.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
You'll still see the occasional sign here: No Shirt - No Shoes - No Service.
and water makes things wet. I know that. I am way too classy to walk into a store without a shirt on. But the beaches. A whole different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston