Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 08:52 PM

6,262 posts, read 7,410,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_245 View Post
Doesn't matter. Backwards or forwards. UT Austin is better than Rice. That's my point.

I thought the link was free. May be you need to navigate a little. I bet the tech companies use UT alumni to be successful. Also, there is lot of theoretical research in computer science particularly in algorithms and optimization. So that counts. There is not much correlation between "tech" industry and research. Dallas has a strong "tech" base but UT Dallas ranks way worse in research productivity.
I get your point, but I think it is largely irrelevant . The thesis of this thread is can Houston or will Houston develop a vibrant Technology sector to our economy. Your contention that because UT may be a better computer science school than Rice somehow disqualifies Houston from developing a secular indigenous Tech industry is patently absurd.

Houston has had success in Tech before with Compaq Computer being founded by a native Houstonian with a Master degree in electrical engineering with an emphasis on computer science from the University of Houston of all places, and that was in 1982 before anybody thought of Austin as a tech hub.

Rod Canion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter. Top Students apply to Austin because of its strong research program which in turn generates alumni for industry. Also, UT Austin is better than Rice. That's my point. You are trying to change the attention by refocusing on correlation. Funny. I am not imagining anything. You are. the correlation is very much necessary. It's one of the reasons Houston is not ranked highly in the science and technology industry. It's sad but true.

Here is the free link
Best Engineering School Rankings | Engineering Program Rankings | US News

Also, there is lot of theoretical research in computer science particularly in algorithms and optimization. So that counts. Also, you need to look into the research grant success rate as well. UT Austin has a way better record there.

Did you see Texas A&M at #11 right behind UT with 700 more students in their school, and Rice came in at # 33 and you claimed Rice wasn't even on the list ! How much difference is there between 10 and 33?

All this list does is further complicate your argument, because this shows that Houston area schools are in the same league as UT, not to mention that Houston can draw on UT's student base as well.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:08 PM

67 posts, read 106,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Did you see Texas A&M at #11 right behind UT with 700 more students in their school, and Rice came in at # 33 and you claimed Rice wasn't even on the list ! How much difference is there between 10 and 33?

All this list does is further complicate your argument, because this shows that Houston area schools are in the same league as UT, not to mention that Houston can draw on UT's student base as well.
Anything past top 10 is pretty much useless. It's top 10 and "others". I did see that Rice fell under "others". I am not arguing. Just presenting facts. Rice is definitely not in the list of top 10. 700 more students? Quantity does not necessarily translate to quality.

You can post a million replies. Doesn't change facts!

Old 01-29-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Anything past top 10 is pretty much useless. It's top 10 and "others". I did see that Rice fell under "others". I am not arguing. Just presenting facts. Rice is definitely not in the list of top 10. 700 more students? Quantity does not necessarily translate to quality.

You can post a million replies. Doesn't change facts!
LOL that's very convenient but I do not see anything on the site that says that past the top 10 is "useless", if so somebody needs to tell all those students at USC and Cornell that they are pursuing useless degrees from institutions that Urban deems as "others"

No Rice is listed at number 33 there is no disqualification as "other" on this list, you are just making stuff up now. Your rational has been proven to be baseless....

Old 01-29-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
LOL that's very convenient but I do not see anything on the site that says that past the top 10 is "useless", if so somebody needs to tell all those students at USC and Cornell that they are pursuing useless degrees from institutions that Urban deems as "others"

No Rice is listed at number 33 there is no disqualification as "other" on this list, you are just making stuff up now. Your rational has been destroyed....
Destroyed by who? A team of top researchers in the country? Not really! You are the one who doesn't see "facts". If you don't like my opinion, you can continue to not like it. Number 33 is not same as number 9. High school math! I used the word "others" because you did not seem to understand the rational behind rankings. Driven and smart students want to get into one of the "top 10" schools in the country not one of the "top 30 schools".

Old 01-29-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Not really! You are the one who doesn't see "facts". If you don't like my opinion, you can continue to not like it. Number 33 is not same as number 9. High school math! I used the word "others" because you did not seem to understand the rational behind rankings. Driven and smart students want to get into one of the "top 10" schools in the country not one of the "top 30 schools".
That's ridicules most students would be thrilled to get into Rice or any of the other schools on that entire list.

You dismissed Texas A&M because it was #11 right behind UT which was #10 on the list, not #9 so I guess they must have dropped a notched since you last really looked at the list. I guess if UT falls one more spot they will then be on your list of "useless" schools, right

Old 01-29-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
That's ridicules most students would be thrilled to get into Rice or any of the other schools on that entire list.

You dismissed Texas A&M because it was #11 right behind UT which was #10 on the list, not #9 so I guess they must have dropped a notched since you last really looked at the list. I guess if UT falls one more spot they will then be on your list of "useless" schools, right
Yes. Texas A&M is unknown for people outside Texas!

If UT falls behind in ranking next year it will definitely become sub par. It's about the ranking not the specific university. Students studying at Rice are filled with resentment because they couldn't get in to Stanford or MIT.

Now if Rice moves up in ranking next year to "top 10", I will be surprised!

Old 01-29-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Yes. Texas A&M is unknown for people outside Texas!

If UT falls behind in ranking next year it will definitely become sub par. It's about the ranking not the specific university. Students studying at Rice are filled with resentment because they couldn't get in to Stanford or MIT.

Now if Rice moves up in ranking next year to "top 10", I will be surprised!
Your "top 10" qualification is arbitrary and now you are psychoanalyzing a student body that you have no connection to or knowledge of. To say that students at Rice or Columbia, or UCLA or Princeton are filled with resentment because they couldn't get into UT is beyond belief. Some people just make things up as they go.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Your "top 10" qualification is arbitrary and now you are psychoanalyzing a student body that you have no connection to or knowledge of. To say that students at Rice or Columbia, or UCLA or Princeton are filled with resentment because they couldn't get into UT is beyond belief. Some people just make things up as they go.
Arbitrary? I disagree. Those rankings are published. They are not "my top 10"

I am not analyzing Students. Their resentments are facts. Why would some one choose a low ranked University over the top 10 schools unless they were not good enough in the first place? People who make things up as they go usually end up as failures in life! Those rankings exist for a reason. They are used by students to judge where they study.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:47 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,959,873 times
Quote:
Arbitrary? I disagree. Those rankings are published. They are not "my top 10"

I am not analyzing Students. Their resentments are facts. Why would some one choose a low ranked University over the top 10 schools unless they were not good enough in the first place? People who make things up as they go usually end up as failures in life! Those rankings exist for a reason. They are used by students to judge where they study.
What makes you think the USNews report is the only ranking to go for. There are other rankings out there.

I don't doubt UT Austin is a good research facility, but the caliber of students in Rice is a different level compare to UT. You basically comparing a state school to an ivy league.

I guarantee you the recruiter will give preference for a Rice graduate over UT any day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston