Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 12:43 PM

5 posts, read 8,404 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (and our 2 school-aged children) live in Cleveland and do not want anything to do with the snow anymore. We are water-loving people who want the opportunity to enjoy a pool, jet-skis/beach areas/activities with generally easy availability, and warm fresh air for more than 3 months a year. After hours of online research and speaking with various people who have visited/lived in Houston before, my husband and I are seriously considering re-locating to Houston.
In the next month we are planning to visit Houston to scout out areas that appeal to us, and to actually see it first hand before we make any next steps in re-locating. To make the most out of extended weekend, I am seeking advice on what to look for, specific areas to check out, and important spots to see in order to make the perfect decision. We want to get the best idea of life in Houston when we visit to take advantage of physically being there versus hearsay. What can we do to make that happen, since we will be in town? We aren't coming to Houston to enjoy the "sights" and do touristy activities. We want to explore the everyday life.

I would love some direction/advice/insight.

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 12:53 PM

785 posts, read 1,234,281 times
Focus your search on the Clear Lake/Webster/League City area. I would also include Seabrook and Kemah in that. Those neighborhoods constitute our Bay Area, and are themselves an hour or less drive away from the beaches in Galveston.

Points of interest you might want to check out while there:
Kemah Boardwalk
South Shore Harbor Resort and Marina
Nassau Bay Park
Clear Lake Park
Villa Capri

If you have enough time and want to add Galveston to your list, here are a few points of interest on the island you should look at:
The Seawall (all along Seawall Blvd)
The Pleasure Pier
Take a ride on the ferry (it's free) between Galveston and Port Bolivar/Crystal Beach

Old 02-04-2015, 01:19 PM

6,287 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Crono makes some great suggestions also Places like Bayou Vista or Tiki Island may be of some interest to you as well.

You may want to let us know what your budget will be for housing and what your work situation is, do we need to factor any commute into our suggestions....

Old 02-04-2015, 01:37 PM

60 posts, read 105,399 times
I don't know if you know this already, but our bodies of water are BROWN not blue-ish or green-ish. I thought you might want this heads up during your hunt for relocation.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:47 PM

9 posts, read 32,540 times
why brown? is it due to contamination from oil sector?

Old 02-04-2015, 01:57 PM

6,287 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjones200 View Post
I don't know if you know this already, but our bodies of water are BROWN not blue-ish or green-ish. I thought you might want this heads up during your hunt for relocation.
The OP has spoken with people who are familiar with the area....

Quote:
Originally Posted by perini1975 View Post
Here we go again, you will hear a lot of hyperbole concerning Galveston and Galveston Bay, fact is the vast majority who actually live in those places will love it...

Old 02-04-2015, 02:05 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perini1975 View Post
Right, along with the 3 eyed fish and giant sea creatures! LOL!

No, it is due to the sediment (dirt) suspended in the water that flows from the Mississippi river. Due to the natural rotation of the planet and the tides, the water tends to flow towards the Louisiana and Texas coasts vs the Mississippi, Alabama, Florida coast. It was like that probably way before the oil industry was ever conceived.

I might also add if you want a lakefront lifestyle vs beach, Lake Conroe and Lake Houston up north of town have a lot of boating and water activities. Plus they even have a lot of wooded neighborhood areas around there. Another option to look at.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:26 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
The water does change from green to tan to brown but is generally murky. The entire Texas coast is like that, generally gets better as you go south but there is a lot of overlap.

This is the best picture I have of Galveston Bay from one of those pocket beaches near Seabrook.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Houston to make a more definitive decision about re-locating-1.jpg  

Old 02-04-2015, 02:55 PM

5 posts, read 8,404 times
Thank-you Crono and Jack! Those parts of the area we will definitely check out. Geographically, those seem ideal. We will have to see if we have time to visit Galveston. I would love to this time around.....

Our housing budget will be $200-$250K. As for the working situation, my husband plans to work remotely (IT) from his company in Cleveland, until he could find something local. That way, we could move within a decent distance to his new job.

As for brown bodies of water....up here we have a very shallow brown great lake called Erie. It's not pretty blue or green either. The beaches here are not known for being beautiful. Geez, we have a river that caught on fire at some point in history. My hubbie and I are not hard to please. LOL

trbstang-I was wondering about Lake Conroe and Lake Houston. How big they were for activities and such....sometimes what maps call lakes are actually glorified ponds lol. These are definitely big enough for actual boating, huh?? We will have check out Conroe/Woodlands as well. I know that they have an excellent school district in this part of the Houston area.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:27 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
You might want to look into the Kingwood area as it has easy access to Lake Houston. You can go to 1660 W Lake Houston Pkwy and there is a waterfront development there with some nice restaurants most of which have patios on the water you can sit at if the weather is nice. Houses in Kingwood are in your budget although not right on the water. The main park in Kingwood (River Grove Park) has a boat ramp and you might want to drive through on your way but you need a Kingwood sticker to park there or you will get towed so just check it out. Anyone who buys a house in Kingwood is eligible for a sticker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston