Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 03:16 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,787,606 times

Advertisements

Try Montrose/Studemont, Houston, Washington, Shepherd...most of the bad streets are north south. Not even mentioned is the east side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 09:13 PM

8 posts, read 11,353 times
Talking Correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Try Montrose/Studemont, Houston, Washington, Shepherd...most of the bad streets are north south. Not even mentioned is the east side.
That is correct Oildog.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:34 PM

804 posts, read 1,066,590 times
I never had a problem getting the city to fix things when I call 311. There used to be a huge crater on 288 at the beltway and on the onramp on almeda I call and they repaved it a few days later.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:45 AM

551 posts, read 2,718,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk08 View Post
Apparently you can do that! Reps from Houston311 gave a presentation at the Eastwood Civic Association meeting last week and mentioned a brand new app for all mobile phones that lets you snap a photo and send it -- plus info -- directly to 311. I haven't tried it yet.

New 311 app used to report potholes, city issues | News - Home

Just hit a pothole? There's an app for that - Houston Chronicle

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hous...572912099?mt=8

Old 02-19-2015, 02:37 PM

129 posts, read 169,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
What you see is what you get. People either want more services or lower taxes. Obviously, the conservative influence has won but it comes with a price on additional auto maintenance.
Houston leans liberal. And while the state of TX might have a reputation of one of the lowest tax burdens, living 'in' Houston is actually a fairly high tax burden. It doesn't help when we have seemingly reputable sources such as CNN/Money: Big city taxes posting Houston near the bottom. Most people would probably not realize CNN did their math wrong (putting Houston's prop tax at ~1%). Then there's all the 'other' taxes often not thought about that dont get calculated in (high license fees, registration fees from cars to kayaks, high electric/phone/gas/internet/cable taxes, $150 recording fees for every piece of paper that goes to government, $200 processing fees, activation fees, $30,000-100k permit fees for small businesses, bogus sewage fees on water thats used in landscaping/watering-plants). The list goes on and on. Every time I think Ive realized all the ways we are taxed here I discover a new one. This is why I prefer a straight one-avenue income tax where you can see exactly what your tax burden is in 1 lump sum. This is why I don't like the sneaky approach some states like Texas have on taxes. They hide taxes by spreading them out and over-complicating them. Now most states do this, but most not to the extent we do here. For people who make under $90k in Houston the tax burden is up there. Only when you make more than $150k does one really start to reap the savings of no income tax vs many other states (and thats debatable, it might be much higher).

I almost forgot about the HOA tax. Around here we hire whats essentially an extra layer of privatized government called HOA to do the job the city would normally do, place parks, tennis courts, and enforce neighborhood covenants. In kingwood for example there's an HOA that exists just to hire a min wage employee to sweep/blow the bike trails of leaves, it charges $150/yr to everybody for this service. Ironically the city I've lived in with the lowest tax burden had the most bike trails (completely separate from the road).

Another thing, some projects were funded in various propositions in the past but were never completed; they just wait another few years when most young people have forgotten they were in previous propositions (maybe because said young people were too young to pay attention to politics at the time) then include them in new propositions essentially getting them past & paid for 2-3 times. Many of the older folk have played this game before so they wont support higher taxes. Still most these conservative types move out of city limits of Houston into suburbia so the lack of things being done can't be blamed on them. In fact even suburbia folk end up paying massive taxes to Houston while not even living in city limits of Houston. My point is we want the services, but we want them with the money thats already been paid to the city- and it's plenty of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston