Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 07:26 AM

99 posts, read 170,753 times

Advertisements

My apartment leasing office is really sucks, they increased the rate a lot for the past two years. They requires tenant gives at lease two month notice if do not want to renew the lease. I never expect them to refund my deposit, and I know they will never do that. I recently purchased a house, what if I move into my new house right away, but the notice time is less than 2 month, so they will ask me to pay two more month without continuing living here, and I will definite refuse. Anyone knows What they will do? ruin my credit score?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 07:33 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times
Default Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen3iverson View Post
My apartment leasing office is really sucks, they increased the rate a lot for the past two years. They requires tenant gives at lease two month notice if do not want to renew the lease. I never expect them to refund my deposit, and I know they will never do that. I recently purchased a house, what if I move into my new house right away, but the notice time is less than 2 month, so they will ask me to pay two more month without continuing living here, and I will definite refuse. Anyone knows What they will do? ruin my credit score?
If they want to, they can be real D**KS about it and mess with your credit. I would talk to them, see if you can come to some sort of an agreement rather than just bailing. Bailing out is never a good idea unless you know your life is in imminent danger anyway, like about to die!

Old 02-18-2015, 07:52 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,914,309 times
Also if you are liable to pay the rent for any period of time and fail to do so, you will be contacted by a collection agency. Had it happen to me when they had the wrong address to mail me my final rent due (I broke the lease 6 months before it was due up for renewal) - got a call 4 months later from a lawyer asking for the rent plus legal fees and late penalties. Fortunately I was able to work out a deal with the collection agency and apartment complex and avoided further headache.

Long story short, find out what you are liable for, negotiate if you can, and pay what is due.

Your credit score is far more important than 2 months' rent.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:00 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,806,092 times
You signed a lease for the rent increases. You could have rented elsewhere if you didn't agree. You signed up for 2 months notice. Why wouldn't they give you your deposit back? Live up to your obligations or you deserve what you get.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:07 AM

259 posts, read 350,152 times
Quote:
Most places require 60 days notice and a fee (usually 1 or 2 months rent) for breaking your lease early. Or, you can try to sub-let your apartment to someone else for the remaining lease term. You'll still get your deposit back unless you really messed up your apartment.

If you don't pay them they will send collection agencies after you and ruin your credit (and rightfully so). Don't be a crappy person...pay what you owe and move on.

I am in a similar situation (just bought a house and am breaking my lease early) but I was able to negotiate with the builder and he agreed to pay my share of the penalties for breaking my lease. If he hadn't, i would have just waited and bought a different house a few months from now.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:07 AM

99 posts, read 170,753 times
Will apt leasing office return deposit if tenant clean the apt after they leave? or most of them just find out a reason to hold it.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:18 AM

259 posts, read 350,152 times
Quote:
Will apt leasing office return deposit if tenant clean the apt after they leave? or most of them just find out a reason to hold it.
Clean it, then have a leasing agent come walk it with you and tell you anything else that needs to be fixed. Then they have no excuse to take your deposit.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:18 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,806,092 times
Quote:
Apartments wouldn't stay in business if they kept deposits for no reason.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:48 AM

872 posts, read 827,601 times
Quote:
Why would you even consider not paying what is owed? As a new home owner why would you allow your credit to be ruined over 2 months rent?

Do the right thing, give the proper notice and pay what is owed.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:34 PM

98 posts, read 196,609 times
Sublet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston